DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Which type of wax do you prefer/use?
Liquid 65 66.33%
Paste 33 33.67%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

I only use adams stuff on mine the shine and protection are amazing

Last edited by dodgert; 10-14-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:31 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Most all waxes last about 4-6 weeks. Sealants last about 6 months. There are alot of variables, such as, type of soap you use on your truck, how often you wash it, do you hand wash it or go through a car wash, does it sit outside everyday, what type of weather, do you use a quick detailer after every wash, etc etc etc. Luke is the resident expert and he can give you a lot more information about the types of products than I can.
Jay
Old 10-15-2011, 01:20 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
I just finished mine yesterday using the Collinite 845. Remember less is better--and less than that is more better, and don't let it "dry". When it barely has a haze, wipe it off. Only do one panel at a time. I think you will be more than satisfied with the results. You made an excellent choice. Let us know how it works for you.
Jay
When I first got 845, I liquefied it and put it in a spray bottle [that is how Autogeek the idea for their sampler bottles]. I then spray an applicator with it [fine mist sprayer], and am able to apply it super thin and even. It is nice to be able to spray the pad and add a thin even layer on the applicator versus having to blob it or poor it onto an applicator.

On a properly prepped surface [clayed, polished or paint cleansed, and IPA wiped], you can let 845 sit a little longer. With a spray bottle method, I can coat an entire vehicle in 5-10 minutes and then walk around it and buff it off. Which is about how long it takes me to spray wax/QD my finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksram View Post
Okay, So if I go with Collinite 845 is it safe to say hand waxing is the prefered method?
How much longer does this last over other standard waxes like eagle one or meguiars?
weeks, months?
You could easily apply it with a machine. I like to use hand waxing because I feel as though I have better control. Collinite 845 will probably last 20-25 times longer than Eagle One wax. It can last up to 6 months with adequate prep. Most stories of 845, or any other wax for that matter, that don't last long are because of inadequate paint preparation. Meguiars NXT, Ultimate Wax, etc will last about 5 times longer than Eagle One, but pale in comparison to any Collinite wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupdawg View Post
Gonna hafta let you know in a few days when mine comes in....
Regardless of if you love it at first, you may need some time to play with it. It is very cheap for what you get and and it works for many different purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
Most all waxes last about 4-6 weeks. Sealants last about 6 months. There are alot of variables, such as, type of soap you use on your truck, how often you wash it, do you hand wash it or go through a car wash, does it sit outside everyday, what type of weather, do you use a quick detailer after every wash, etc etc etc. Luke is the resident expert and he can give you a lot more information about the types of products than I can.
Jay
Thanks again Jay. You always hit the nail on the head. I used cheaper washes a few years ago, but slowly have gotten better car soap/shampoos. Last year I used Meguiars Shampoo plus. It had great suds, had a high lubricity and rinsed clean, which is what I needed. This year, I have been using Optimum Car Wash, which is one of the higher end soaps. I hand wash it a couple times a week [before it gets "dirty"], and never use automatic washes [chemicals are too harsh for the touchless, and the touch ones ruin your finish].

I always use a drying aid, which is a chemical used to prevent scratching when drying, accelerate the drying, add protection, add gloss, and prolong the wax/sealant. I use Optimum Gloss Enhancer and Instant Detailer, which is super slick and adds awesome gloss. I have Meguiars QD, Adams QD, HD Final Touch QD, as well as a few others, but none works for me quite as well as the Optimum.

A summary of what has been said, prepare the paint surface. Clay it, polish it, clean it, rewash/wipe it down, and apply your product of choice. Whether it is a cheap OTC product, or expensive internet order product.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:45
pupdawg is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the rundown Luke, so I have one question...you said you thin you Colinite down to a spray form, does it last as long when you do this or for a good first coat should I go straight from the bottle and then use a thinned out version as an afterwash spray delailer?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:55 AM

Well I guess I am going to take this approach...

Remember, this is a brand new BLACK Ram.

1. Wash and dry
2. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Bar
3. Wash and dry
4. DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant
5. Colinite 845

Our winters are pretty severe with a lot of the dreaded Calcium Magnesium as well as salt on the roads so I want to get a GOOD protective coating on the paint before we get slammed...
Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks for the rundown Luke, so I have one question...you said you thin you Colinite down to a spray form, does it last as long when you do this or for a good first coat should I go straight from the bottle and then use a thinned out version as an afterwash spray delailer?
Thinned out, or in paste form, it all works the same. I have had a few conversations with the owners of Collinite and they have all said the same thing. The consistency changes, but the protective properties don't. When you get it, it has a medicine type top that you have to push down to twist and release. You can take that bottle and put it in a bowl of warm/hot water for 5-10 minutes and it will start to loosen up. Take the bottle out of the water and shake it for a minute or two and it will be a thin thin liquid. You can just pour it onto an applicator or mist it.

This is from my dakota

Here is the alternative use I was talking about. It works great on trim. If you wipe it on thin, and immediately go back and wipe it off, it will leave an awesome and protected finish.

845 is on the outside if this mirror.

This is a month later, the 845 is unchanged whereas the dressing on the inside is gone.

It beads awesome as well

The other use it the roof trim. It protects and beads like a painted surface.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well I guess I am going to take this approach...

Remember, this is a brand new BLACK Ram.

1. Wash and dry
2. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Bar
3. Wash and dry
4. DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant
5. Colinite 845

Our winters are pretty severe with a lot of the dreaded Calcium Magnesium as well as salt on the roads so I want to get a GOOD protective coating on the paint before we get slammed...
That's a great approach. Depending on the weather, etc, you may be able to wash it and go right into claying without drying and save yourself some time. I too use that clay bar and have had good success. Just get a few "patties" ready and place them in warm water. Use on piece, kneed it back into shape, and use it until it gets harder. Then put it in the warm water and grab the other piece that is soft. After you clay it and rewash it, spray and wipe the surface with a 50% Isopropyl Alcohol / water solution, which will remove oils and help prep the surface for bonding.

I haven't used DP Poli-Coat, but I would advise letting it cure to it's fullest before applying 845. You may be able to apply it and remove it an hour later if it has too, and then wait 24 hours before applying the 845.

During the course of the fall/winter, if you get day where it is warm enough, clean your Ram and reapply the 845. It does layer if you apply it lightly and thin enough, and any additional protection is good protection.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Thanks Luke, That looks really nice! Can't wait to get this detail job done...
Old 10-15-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
That's a great approach. Depending on the weather, etc, you may be able to wash it and go right into claying without drying and save yourself some time. I too use that clay bar and have had good success. Just get a few "patties" ready and place them in warm water. Use on piece, kneed it back into shape, and use it until it gets harder. Then put it in the warm water and grab the other piece that is soft. After you clay it and rewash it, spray and wipe the surface with a 50% Isopropyl Alcohol / water solution, which will remove oils and help prep the surface for bonding.

I haven't used DP Poli-Coat, but I would advise letting it cure to it's fullest before applying 845. You may be able to apply it and remove it an hour later if it has too, and then wait 24 hours before applying the 845.

During the course of the fall/winter, if you get day where it is warm enough, clean your Ram and reapply the 845. It does layer if you apply it lightly and thin enough, and any additional protection is good protection.
Thanks AGAIN Luke (tired of this thread yet? )Do you have a different sealer you might recommend? I have doing a little bit of search on it and DP seems to come highly recommended through numerous forums. Like I said, I just want to get the best protection I can as our winters don't give much to full detailing once we hit December and are even worse from January-May...
Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks AGAIN Luke (tired of this thread yet? )Do you have a different sealer you might recommend? I have doing a little bit of search on it and DP seems to come highly recommended through numerous forums. Like I said, I just want to get the best protection I can as our winters don't give much to full detailing once we hit December and are even worse from January-May...
Nope
I guess I should first ask, did you buy any of your products yet?