DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Which type of wax do you prefer/use?
Liquid 54 63.53%
Paste 31 36.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:45
pupdawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
Nope
I guess I should first ask, did you buy any of your products yet?
Getting ready to order, Colinite is already on order...
Old 10-15-2011, 11:59 AM

I want to make sure I get a good prep, seal and wax.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupdawg View Post
I want to make sure I get a good prep, seal and wax.
After claying the finish, you will probably induce very fine micromarring. For the sake of cleaning up the paint [chemically], and refining the finish [abrasively, or masking], I would look into a prewax cleaner.

I use Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, because it came in a kit I got.
http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html

Here are some other options
http://www.autogeek.net/prewaxpolishes.html

However, those cleaners are optional. If you clay the paint and wash it again [with a clean rinsing soap, NOT a wash and wax], and use IPA, you should be good to go! The nice part about a paint cleanser or paint polish is that is removes any potential inhibiting chemicals or contaminants from the finish before you lay down your sealant.

As far as the seal and wax, to be completely honest, one or the other is probably enough. Collinite 845 is used as a protection wax by many detailers as a stand alone. Another option is Finish Kare 1000P, which is a paste wax/sealant that will last as long as Collinite.

http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html

Your best "protection" bet would probably be FK1000, and 845 to top it off whenever the weather permits.

I know that's a lot of information, and some of it conflicting [845 is awesome, and a protection favorite, but since you haven't ordered a sealant, FK1000P may just be your best bet until spring]. Then the DP sealant/845, or any other sealant for that matter may be what your looking for in the summer
Old 10-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Well here is another question then...since this vehicle is new, do I even need to clay the paint or should I just go with a good cleaner/polish then follow with colinite? If possible, reducing the steps...not trying to cheat a good finish, just making sure I am not creating more work than necessary...

This reason I am so interested in all this is I have never had a black vehicle, most of my previous ones have been white or a light color...really worried about how I preserve this paint without causing undue stress...

Thanks for all of your assistance here Luke!

Last edited by pupdawg; 10-15-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Take it from me another with a black truck yes clay it you will be suprised how much stuff is on it whether it be from the transport or just every day stuff like bird dropping road debris sap.Do this take your hand rub it over the surface then clay the same area it will feel like glass.Ive allways used adams because they come with a kit i have this kit
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-338-a...isher-kit.aspx

comes with EVERYTHING you need and ive used almost every wax out there and the shine and protection from adams well there is no match.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 PM

dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

After you clay it you dont need to wash it again just hit it with a light mist of detail spay then start applying the wax steps been detailing cars trucks for 20 plus yrs
Old 10-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
After claying the finish, you will probably induce very fine micromarring. For the sake of cleaning up the paint [chemically], and refining the finish [abrasively, or masking], I would look into a prewax cleaner
Luke, you mention micromarring, would this need to be addressed with a good polish or would a sealer/wax take care of it?

Thanks for your input as well dodgert!

I have done some considerable reading on all of this lately and have read where serious enthusiasts like to clay, seal then wax... The steps of each are fairly straightforward it seams. AND, I know everyone has their tried and true performance steps to this....it ain't rocket science...LOL

Not trying to make this a difficult process, just looking for the best approach for a lasting shine...even though nothing lasts forever.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 PM

After you cly it youll want to use a swirl /haze remover for all the fine scratches that should get out all the imperfections from claying and such.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupdawg View Post
Luke, you mention micromarring, would this need to be addressed with a good polish or would a sealer/wax take care of it?

Thanks for your input as well dodgert!

I have done some considerable reading on all of this lately and have read where serious enthusiasts like to clay, seal then wax... The steps of each are fairly straightforward it seams. AND, I know everyone has their tried and true performance steps to this....it ain't rocket science...LOL

Not trying to make this a difficult process, just looking for the best approach for a lasting shine...even though nothing lasts forever.
Nop not rocket science but its your baby and you want to do whats best lol you ever hear of the 2 bucket system when you wash it.

Last edited by dodgert; 10-15-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 PM

Wash and dry
After you clay this is my procedure

STEP 1 Adam's Severe Swirl Remover Polish with Adam's PC Severe Swirl Remover Pad or Adam's Flex Severe Swirl Remover Pad – Remove Severe Paint Defects such as severe swirl, isolated scratches, problematic water etching, heavy oxidation and other more serious paint defects.
STEP 2 Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover Polish with Adam's PC Swirl & Haze Remover Polishing Pad or Adam's Flex Swirl & Haze Remover Polishing Pad – Remove Moderate Paint Defects such as swirl, minor scratches, minimal water etching, paint haze, light oxidation and other less serious paint defects.
STEP 3 Adam's Fine Machine Polish with Adam's PC Fine Machine Polishing Pad or Adam's Flex Fine Machine Polishing Pad - Pre Wax Cleaning and Gloss Enhancement is your final step to paint perfection. This step will clean and prepare your paint for bonding of your car wax or paint sealant as well as enhance gloss and depth in shine for a show stopping finish.
STEP 4 Adam's Machine Super Sealant with Adam's PC Waxing Pad –
long lasting protection as well as an unbeatable shine!

Last edited by dodgert; 10-15-2011 at 06:05 PM.