DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi
Trim Level: 4X4 SLT Hemi
Color: Light greystone
Rep:54
Boubou will become famous soon enough
Default 275/60R20 LT tires for towing

I am looking for LT tires in the 275/60R20 for towing my travel trailer but the best I was able to find so far are Michelin LTX M/S2 and Cooper Zeon LTZ
They are both P tires still but probably better than the Goodyear HP on the truck right now.
I am not against going down to 17 or 18 but not sure what that would do to the truck etc... if there was a way to re-calibrate it all via computer at dealership, It would be ok but from what I gather, it's not that simple.

Anyone find LT tires for towing in the 20's?
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Not sure about the Michelins but the Coopers are an "extra load" rated tire where the stock Goodyears are a "standard load" index tire. From what I can tell though it's not a huge difference. The Coopers are meant to be ran at about 40 psi but the max load of the two tires seems to still be pretty close to the same.

I too am having a hard time finding a LT275/60/20. Nitto makes a Duragrappler LT tire in that size but it's hella exensive. Looks like you might have a few more options if you go to a different size such as 275/65/20 (same width, 1" taller than stock) or 305/55/20 (quite a bit wider but nearly the same height as stock). The Coopers (and many other brands) are available in a LT "E" rated tire in those sizes but once again, they are expensive, lol.

The dealer should be able to calibrate your speedo if you were to change sizes but I don't think switching to a smaller wheel is the answer. I would just pay for a set of the expensive LT tires and you would still probably come out cheaper than buying new LT tires and wheels in a smaller size plus you get to keep your 20s. In case you are wondering, a 275/65/20 would throw your speedo off 2 mph at 60 mph (it would read 58).
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm willing to pay extra money for a tire that will meet my needs: towing 5-6 times a year, some trips up to 14 hours long,
General all around driving to work etc.,.
Rain and snow
No off road (not on purpose anyways haha)

Here's what I came up with so far, anyone with experience in any, let me know, also, I will look at the ones you mentionned

I'm thinking about the Michelins LTX ms/2 
Cooper Zeon LTZ
General grabbers XL
Bridgestones dueler A/T
BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A

The difference in price does not matter, I am looking for the best all around tire. Good for towing, general all around driving and snow.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 AM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I only have experience with the Coopers and I absolutely love them. They might be a tad aggressive if you really only do highway driving but I don't offroad either and I still love them. They have excellent highway manners and they are by far the best looking tire in my opinion.

I have read enough to know that all of the tires on your list are great quality tires that you will likely be happy with but I cannot say which one is going to be the best all around for you. Have you read the reviews and ratings on tirerack.com? They are very insightful and they carry every tire you listed except the Coopers. Tirerack does not sell Cooper tires for some reason.

Also, are you going to try to go with an "E" load rating tire? All of those tires are available in an "E" rating. Any of those tires, especially the XL load index tires, are going to be better than the stock Goodyears but an "E" load rated tire will make a huge difference, especially in loaded handling. I think you will have to go with the 275/65/20 to get the "E" load rating but it should fit fine and actually looks a little better in my opinion because the slightly taller sidewall feels up the fender well better.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: laramie
Color: mineral gray metalic
Rep:32
cableman is on a distinguished road

What about the cooper discoverer AT3, i just picked up a full set of 4 from tirecrawler for 861 shipped plus they were giving a 75 dollar visa rebate!
I tow a 7k loaded travel trailer locally and they are much better then the goodyears.

They are still running the visa rebate
http://tirecrawler.com/shop/result_tire.php?page=6
Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 PM

I'm taking my time researching this
I'll check out the Cooper Discoverer AT3 as well
I am definitely looking for either XL or E rating and would like to keep the 20's
if not...
how about the michelin LTX A/2 LT 275-65R20
or michelin LTX 265-70-R17
would these fit my rims? or rub?
so in any of these:
Cooper Zeon LTZ
General grabbers XL
Bridgestones dueler A/T
BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A
plus the michelin I just added to the list which ones would fit the rim and are XL or E rated? I am leaning more towards XL because I don't want to stiff of a ride
and also, I don't go off road
I tow maybe 5 to 8 times per year, 6000 loaded trailer
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Like I said earlier, if you want to keep the 20s then I would put anything other than a 20" tire out of my mind. The cost of buying new 17" or 18" wheels plus new tires is almost certain to be more than the cost of some really good 20" tires for the wheels you have.

Of the tires you are considering....

The Cooper Zeon and General Grabber (I assume you mean the Grabber HTS) in the stock size of 275/60/20 are both XL load rating tires. The Bridgestones, BFGs, and Michelins are all SL (standard load) tires in the stock size.

However, all of those tires are available as an E rated tire in size 275/65/20. That tire is exactly the width of your stock tire but is one inch taller. From everything I have read (which is a lot) and actually seen on one truck on a dealer lot, you should have no problem fitting a 275/65/20 on your truck.

I would say first you need to decide between XL and E. There is a pretty big price difference (probably $50-$75 per tire). Also, to give you an idea of the load difference....an SL tire like your stock Goodyearss achieves its max load carrying of 2601 pounds at 35psi. An XL tire like the Coopers or Generals achieves its max load carrying of 2998 pounds at 41psi. And an E rated tire achieves its max load carrying of 3750 pounds at 80psi.

So after you decide which load rating you want to go with then you can research the reviews and cost of the tires left to choose from and you should be well on your way to making a decision. Good luck!!