DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 1500 & 2006 2500
Trim Level: Express &ThunderRoad
Color: Flame Red & White
Rep:15
2011lilred is on a distinguished road
Default Stacked tuners

I have a 2006 5.9L CTD currently running an Airaid MPX and Hypertech Max Energy tuner set at "level 3/extreme". I am really happy with the combo and get 22+ mpg but I'm wondering if I'm leaving something on the table. The reason I selected the Hypertech was it is advertised as the only tuner with which you can still tow at the highest setting - I don't feel like changing tunes each time I hook up a trailer, I just want to set it and be done. I know I could/should go with a 5" turbo back exhaust and a couple of other tweaks, but was wondering about "stacked" tunes. Specifically how is this done and will I have to swap tunes each time I tow?

Last edited by 2011lilred; 10-14-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: fixed stuff
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

Chances are you would have to change the settings to tow. I'm honestly surprised you can tow with the hypertext on stage 3. What is the horsepower rating of that tune?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 1500 & 2006 2500
Trim Level: Express &ThunderRoad
Color: Flame Red & White
Rep:15
2011lilred is on a distinguished road

I've never dyno'd it, but they claim +113HP and +185TQ. From their website "Three (3) stages of Power Tuning are available. Even the highest power level, Stage 3, maintains safe EGTs while towing the maximum weight specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. No other tuner offers this level of power for towing. Hypertech’s low EGTs, proper transmission shifting and superior tuning that doesn’t require de-fueling, giving the Max Energy Power Programmer the performance advantage." I've been running it for about 3 years on stage 3 and tow all the time with it. I have even towed over 11,000 lbs between Little Rock and Washington DC twice.

I ran the towing tune full time with the Superchips I had on my old Hemi.

Still - how do you stack tunes? When uploading the Hypertech or Superchips tunes to the truck, doesn't it download the stock tune into the handheld? So if I'm running an existing tune it pulls that tune before uploading the new one.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:40 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

You can stack tunes quite easily, but you need to research what each programmer/chip/tuner will modify. I know guys that run the Banks six-gun and power puck with their Smarty Jr. or BullyDog GT. Only the programmer will overwrite the stock tune and save it onto the handheld. Things like the six-gun and powerpucks are piggyback systems that modify signals before they even make it to the ECM, so they can be used in conjunction with a programmer. They normally handle things like transmission control, boost control, etc.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not really sure how your using your hemi tuner on your CTD
You can only stack with some other modules and usually isn't recommended
The different modules alter different parameters.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:49 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangshcky12 View Post
I'm not really sure how your using your hemi tuner on your CTD
You can only stack with some other modules and usually isn't recommended
The different modules alter different parameters.
I think he's talking about how he used the tow tune on his hemi programmer. Stacking tuners and chips isn't reccommended, but it's a common practice in the diesel world.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

Yeah rereading it again it makes more sense. Towing with a tune on a hemi is alot different then on a diesel.
I have a friend who runs a DS on his 3500 stacked with an mp-8. Even his dual disk clutch slips with it on the second to highest tune with his eenclosed trailer attached (other friends stock clutches can't even handle the same tune without a trailer)
All you do is plug and play like your tuner by itself.
You really aren't leaving much on the table though, must other tuners higher settings are 150hp because that's about all you stock coponents can handle(only for so long) and at that pount is when you have to change from a hp tune to a towing tune