DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Ram Cummins SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:28
Old Dodger is on a distinguished road
Default S & B intake filter wash

Can someone please tell me the instructions for washing an S & B Filter? My '06 5.9 has one, but came with no instructions. Also. How do I tell if I have the original or an up graded exhaust?

Thanks for any help.

SUPERCHIP CORTEX PROGRAMER BESTOP POWER BOARDS PERAGON BED COVER S&B INTAKE BACKUP CAMERA My Favorite Cargo, CASE & INGERSOLL GARDEN TRACTORS AND EQUIPMENT
My Song, http://www.tomrush.com./video_remember.html
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 PM
erm

You'll want the S&B part number 88-0007 cleaning kit.

Here's how the cleaning process goes:

1. Remove and clean

Clean sealing area of filter and filter housing with a clean soft rag. Share or lightly tap the filter on a hard surface to remove and loosen large particles and debris. A soft brush may be used to loosen large particles of debris or bugs. Make note of wich side the filter has trapped the dirt. Use S&B's Filter Cleaner to clean the filter.
2. Fill applicator bottle

Rotate the Squeeze Bottle of Oil with the cap facing downward. Make note of your starting point on the measurement guage to make sure that the proper amount of oil is dispensed. When reoiling a filter, it is critical to place the oil on the side where the dirt will accumulate. Using the applicator bottle, place a drop of oil on the peak of each pleat where it meets urethane (rubber).
3. Allow oil to bleed

After allowing the oil to bleed for 20-30 minutes, inspect the fitler for any white areas wher ethe oil did not cover. With the remaining oil in the Applicator apply a small amount of oil to those white areas. Applying the correct amount of oil (+5 grams) is critical to proper performance of the filter. DO NOT over oil your filter.

As far as your exhaust, normally aftermarket mufflers are louder than stock mufflers. Also, most have the name of the mfgr stamped on them.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Thankyou, Maddog,
Guess I will have to check around for a supplier. Appreciate the information. Guess I will need to look for a name stamp on my muffler. It has a 4 inch pipe with a huge chrome extension. Not sure what the OEM looks like.

SUPERCHIP CORTEX PROGRAMER BESTOP POWER BOARDS PERAGON BED COVER S&B INTAKE BACKUP CAMERA My Favorite Cargo, CASE & INGERSOLL GARDEN TRACTORS AND EQUIPMENT
Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dodger View Post
Thankyou, Maddog,
Guess I will have to check around for a supplier. Appreciate the information. Guess I will need to look for a name stamp on my muffler. It has a 4 inch pipe with a huge chrome extension. Not sure what the OEM looks like.
On the diesels, the muffler is normally big enough to hide a dead body in it. Seriously, they are huge round beasts. A stamp is a dead give away, but you can also, look at how the exhaust is clamped to the cats, if it's a band clamp then it's aftermarket as most systems will replace the OEM U-style exhaust clamp.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM

Thank you, Cndnoil, now I just have to wait for the cold, stormy weather to ease up so I can do a little investigating! Have my truck/work bay full of tractors, so no way to get it inside. Guess it is time to get some work done and get the tractors that I won't be using in the shed for the winter. It seems to be coming on us here in the lower Great Lakes area rather quickly!