DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
mark1963 is on a distinguished road
Default I need a little advice about my compression,??

update on my thread on little smoke at first acceleration then goes away, ON THE COMPRESSION I WAS TOLD IS GOOD TURN'S OUT TO BE HORRABLE, IT WAS BETWEEN 89 to 93psi BETWEEN ALL EIGHT CYL, THE DODGE DRALER TOLD ME IT SHOULD BE MORE LIKE, 180 to 190psi, MY QUESTION IS WOULD MY TRUCK EVEN BE DRIVABLE WITH SUCH LOW COMPRESSION, i hope the first shop done something wrong, i may need to drop more money at dodge dealer to see who is right, so far everyone i spoke to about my compression issue said i would not be DRIVABLE, thanks,
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
02Ram4x4 is on a distinguished road

it would still be drivable but with noticeable performance and drivability problems, with one cylinder that low, a leakdown test should have been performed to isolate the cylinder, and a oil test in the clyinder to rule out ring failure, its sounds to me that your rings might be worn out, you can test that at home with a compression gauge from autozone, squirt some oil in the clyinder on your second test and see if the pressure increases if so then your rings are fried in that cylinder.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 PM

Default no loss of power

i have not notice any loss of power since i bought the truck a year ago and the smoke started last friday, and need too remember it only smokes at a stop & go at a red light, it is not a continue of smoke, it stops while deiving,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Ram4x4 View Post
it would still be drivable but with noticeable performance and drivability problems, with one cylinder that low, a leakdown test should have been performed to isolate the cylinder, and a oil test in the clyinder to rule out ring failure, its sounds to me that your rings might be worn out, you can test that at home with a compression gauge from autozone, squirt some oil in the clyinder on your second test and see if the pressure increases if so then your rings are fried in that cylinder.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 4.8L 290ci
Trim Level: Quad Cab SLT
Rep:12
SuperiorStyles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

Cylinder Head Valve Seal Leak
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
02Ram4x4 is on a distinguished road

i just read your other orignal topic to this problem i asked what the smoke was you said blue or blueish, anytime you see blue smoke from the tail pipe it mean your rings are shot, the oil mixed with fuel will burn blue this is a sign of worn rings, i would try a can of engine restore first, but sorry to be the bearer of bad news you mayneed new rings, a.k.a engine rebuild.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:12 AM

Default smoke

but if the rings were shot, it would it smoke all the time, also the spark plugs look as clean as the day they were bought, they have about 40k on them, and when i installed them a few months ago, the old ones was just as clean, i could let the truck idle for an hour and still no smoke untill i gas it, force the exhaust out the tail pipe, also not a bit of smoke while driving,,
Quote:
i just read your other orignal topic to this problem i asked what the smoke was you said blue or blueish, anytime you see blue smoke from the tail pipe it mean your rings are shot, the oil mixed with fuel will burn blue this is a sign of worn rings, i would try a can of engine restore first, but sorry to be the bearer of bad news you mayneed new rings, a.k.a engine rebuild.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Red
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:20
440Magnum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, it does NOT mean "your rings are shot." You can also burn a lot of oil due to bad valve stem seals (not valve guides, that's a different part- the seal is a rubber "umbrella" that limits the amount of oil that gets to the guide, the guide is a non-sealing METAL part that holds the valve straight in the head.) You can also get blue smoke if the PCV system is sucking too much oil mist into the intake. There are far more ways to burn oil than JUST past the rings! Rings will generally cause constant smoking at idle and especially under deceleration (like coasting downhill) because of the higher vacuum on the intake stroke. Valve stem seals will cause a puff of blue on acceleration after periods of idling.

There are a lot of vague statements and too many unknowns here. What is the ACTUAL compression on this engine, all that was given were questionable numbers? How long ago (in miles) was the can of of "combustion chamber cleaner" used and WHY would such a product be used if the engine wasn't having problems to start with??? How much blue smoke is there? Will it go away after all the "combustion chamber cleaner" is flushed out? Does the oil level actually go down significantly over, say, a 1000 mile interval?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 PM

i would like to thank everyone for the info, brought it to the dodge dealer & they told me it is the valve stem seals, the other shop done something wrong with the compression check,!! the dodge dealer had a compression of 160psi in cyl (1), they told me the rest would be fine because the other shops wrong low compression was consistent in all 8 cyl that it will be true with ther readings, dealers price for the seals $2500.00, they told me the heads need to be removed,, went to tuffys auto care $700.00, they told me the heads do not need to be removed, much better, THANKS AGAIN, #1 FORUM,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440Magnum View Post
No, it does NOT mean "your rings are shot." You can also burn a lot of oil due to bad valve stem seals (not valve guides, that's a different part- the seal is a rubber "umbrella" that limits the amount of oil that gets to the guide, the guide is a non-sealing METAL part that holds the valve straight in the head.) You can also get blue smoke if the PCV system is sucking too much oil mist into the intake. There are far more ways to burn oil than JUST past the rings! Rings will generally cause constant smoking at idle and especially under deceleration (like coasting downhill) because of the higher vacuum on the intake stroke. Valve stem seals will cause a puff of blue on acceleration after periods of idling.

There are a lot of vague statements and too many unknowns here. What is the ACTUAL compression on this engine, all that was given were questionable numbers? How long ago (in miles) was the can of of "combustion chamber cleaner" used and WHY would such a product be used if the engine wasn't having problems to start with??? How much blue smoke is there? Will it go away after all the "combustion chamber cleaner" is flushed out? Does the oil level actually go down significantly over, say, a 1000 mile interval?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Color: Grey
Rep:27
Maddevill is on a distinguished road

If it were me I'd make that dealer do a compression test on ALL the cylinders. To not do so is just lazy, and then you would have a record of the actual compression in your motor.