DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
jimbodean is on a distinguished road
Default How to dismantle center shift console - horrible creak

Hey all. I love my truck to death, but I've been putting up with a creak in the center console for 18,000km now and I can't take it anymore.

It's a 2010 Ram Sport with the bucket seats and the center shifter console, and at certain temperatures (cooler) it creaks like crazy and the sound has a similar effect on me as nails on a chalk board. I was hoping the plastic in there would settle down after some mileage, but if anything it's getting worse.

I fear that one of these days I'm going to rip the whole console right out, lol. That said, I really want to take the whole thing apart and try to find the culprit, but I can't find any guide on how to do so and I don't trust myself to get it all apart without breaking something. I'd love to have the dealer do it but I know they'd give me a hard time and I'm already having a battle with a bodyshop for putting swirls all over my truck (... another story). I found posts indicating a couple of other people on the forum had the same issue, but no resolutions.

Anyway, does anyone happen to know where I might find some detailed instructions on how to get the center shifter console completely apart? Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
brguzz is on a distinguished road

There is a chrome ring around the shifter (shown in pic) pry gently all the way around and it will come off. If it is the first time taking it off its a little stubborn. Remove the rubber tray below heat controls and remove the two screws .Next grab the edges of the main panel of the center console and pull straight up, it will pop right off. Hopefully someone will chime in with more details. I had a creak in my console similar to what you described. I ended up fixing it by placing pieces of foam between the main console on the bottom where the clips go in and also on the bottom of the chrome ring. Good Luck

Brandon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bezel Paint 02.jpg (112.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-21-2011, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
jimbodean is on a distinguished road

I took the chrome ring and the top piece of the center console off, but even with those off, the creaking still happens. I'm hoping to basically strip the whole thing right down, including taking the center assembly apart. I don't see any other way to fix it.