DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice
Default Volant Ram Air

I have been noticing on my Trinity that my intake air temps were very high so I decided to try making a ram air system to use the bottom intake hole in my volant CAI. First I laid it out on a piece of light weight alum and cut the chute

A couple of breaks later I had this

Measure and cut a piece of four inch duct. cut out the slot for the chute

Make a cap for the duct and fasten the chute

to be continued
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Test fit it to the lower plastic cover in the bumper and between the frame rails

Paint it up and drill a few dozen holes in the grill piece

Installing it in the truck I found that the tow hooks were going to make it hard to make the piping fit nice so I went and picked up some flexible hose instead. This probably will agitate the air flow so may try something different later. But for now the finished project looks like this

Please feel free to critique or add improvements. Today before I installed it the air temp on evic was 46 degrees and my IAT on my trinity was 97 after install temps dropped to 70 so I feel it was worth the effort for sure
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity

Last edited by Crash; 10-18-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 4x4 SLT
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
TerrysRam is on a distinguished road

I did something almost identical. I'll have to take pics and get them up here. I'm not sure I can say I noticed a difference though...
Rain-X Latitude wipers; Custom bent Magnaflow catback; Volant CAI - with ram air tubing; EGR Vent visors; Line-X; driving lights behind the grill; Silverstar fog lamps; Silverstar Ultra head lamps; WeatherTech mud flaps; American Tonneau Company tri-fold tonneau; Diablo Sport inTune I-1000 DCX
Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrysRam View Post
I did something almost identical. I'll have to take pics and get them up here. I'm not sure I can say I noticed a difference though...
Terry you may not notice but I have been logging with my trinty and have been seeing as much as 100 degree higher temps at the intake from the ambiant temp outside. Now it is about 20-30 degrees higher only. I would say to owners of the volant they should cover that hole if they dont want to do this because all they are doing is sucking in all the heat from under their hood. jmho
Old 10-19-2011, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 4x4 SLT
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:16
TerrysRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Terry you may not notice but I have been logging with my trinty and have been seeing as much as 100 degree higher temps at the intake from the ambiant temp outside. Now it is about 20-30 degrees higher only. I would say to owners of the volant they should cover that hole if they dont want to do this because all they are doing is sucking in all the heat from under their hood. jmho
You're 100% right. That's what got me thinking about doing it in the first place. Got to looking after I installed it and that opening is right there sucking all that hot under hood air. Figured I may as well make it a true cold ram air if I was going to go to the trouble!
Rain-X Latitude wipers; Custom bent Magnaflow catback; Volant CAI - with ram air tubing; EGR Vent visors; Line-X; driving lights behind the grill; Silverstar fog lamps; Silverstar Ultra head lamps; WeatherTech mud flaps; American Tonneau Company tri-fold tonneau; Diablo Sport inTune I-1000 DCX
Old 10-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:10
johncran is on a distinguished road

Any idea when Volant will be releasing their ram air kit for the 2011? When they do I will probably buy one. Til then I was thinking about ram air modding the oem box using a rubber hose similar to one found on a shop vac. 3 or 4 in. dia. would work. Just needed to find a collector for the bottom and mount it in the lower black plastic grill on my slt. Has anybody tried this?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:10
johncran is on a distinguished road

bump to the top
Old 10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous! I really like how you incorporated it into the bumper fill strip. If Volant doesn't come up a good scoop solution, I will take your design and add my own twist to it. Being a Sport, I have a wider slot, so can likely benefit from that. I agree that the flex hose is likely to cause so restriction from air turbulence, but it may take so very creative ducting to do it otherwise.

This is creativity and resourcefulness at it's best, and has earned some well deserved

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-23-2011, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the boost Brad! I tried to duct it with pipe but I had to go under the tow hook mount and you would have been able to see it because it would be so low. I wqs thinking of fabbing a duct to go through the tow hook mount but at that point I just wanted to get it hooked up to see what king of IAT drop it would give me.