DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:11
riggz is on a distinguished road

What did you all tap in to for power? I got the switch and pigtail, but didn't get any plastic fasteners....
Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
pgienger is on a distinguished road

Well... Look on the passenger fender or firewall, i cant remember which, but there will be a plug just hangin out, not plugged into anything. Thats the one made for you. You have to take the red blank plug thing out and then youll be golden. The trick is to make sure your push plugs line up with the factory holes in your hood, in between the liner and the hood. Here's a fun little tip that took me a while to figure out, the cord wraps to the top/front of the hood then back to the light, not straight into the light from the back/bottom like you would assume.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

yeah i figured out how it mounts and wires up, but i just wanted to make sure where to wire it. I will go out and look for this plug. Did you cut the plug off or order a 2nd pig tail?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

This is a plug and play operation, no cutting required. The red thing in the end of that plug is a dust cover, for lack of a better term. There should be a thing back on the wire.side.you pull back to unlock the whole.mechanism and then a little latch to depress and.the red part.just falls out. It should be almost no force to take it.out.once.you get the.right things released, so if you're cracking on it to get it out, you haven't got it figured out yet. Its just.hard to explain but once you find it you'll see...
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

i guess what im asking is, how did you connect to that plug? The pigtail I ordered goes in to the actual light housing. and the ends of the wires are just that... ends of wires, no plug. They are not even long enough to make it to the edge of the hood.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Anyone know the answer?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 Crew Sport 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:60
bseling will become famous soon enough

I too, ordered the 'sport hood' with my 2011 Ram Sport. I was surprised, too, that there was no light under the hood. I twisted my dealer's arm so they installed it for me, for free. Supposedly, it is not included, but I specifically asked about it when I added the Sport Hood option; they said the light would be there.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright White CC
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
gale155 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylie View Post
My build sheet on my 2011 Laramie says I have an ashtray lamp?????Have not found the ashtray yet though.
It's NOT the tiny green light in the overhead console, as some have suggested. My truck is an SLT with no options except skid plates, and I have the small overhead green light...which doesn't even come close to illuminating where the ashtray goes (cupholders).
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggz View Post
Anyone know the answer?
You ordered what they call the pigtail and you need the WIRING HARNESS. I'm not sure why they have (2) parts but they do. I have added this 'feature' on (2) Rams now (my old '09 TRX and the new '11 Sport w/ the Sport Hood).

On the '09, I modified the light housing to accept an LED panel and thought it would be cool to put a toggle switch in line to be able to turn it off during the day with the hood up - Overkill, I know. To best do that, I ordered the pigtail and soldered my own wire harness in to my switch and tapped power from my 12V accessory terminal that was tapped directly off my battery.

On the '11 I bought the wire harness (it's close to 6' long with at least (4) push-loc wire ties that hold it to the hood) and the light itself. I retrofitted with a loop festoon LED bulb from SuperBrightLEDs and installed just like the factory would've. (I also bought the glove box fixture that simply plugs into the existing wiring behind the dash and will replace the bulb with an LED later this week.)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet - Those of you who are installing yourselves, you'll also need a short (1" long or less) screw to attach the fixture to the underside of the hood. For some reason the light doesn't come with the sheet metal screw you'll need and I've never asked if there's a Dodge p/n for it. They probably want another $4.95 for it if there is! I believe it's a 7/16" x 1" sheet metal screw - I'd get at least Galvanized if not Stainless Steel. There's plenty of space between the mounting surface and the outside 'skin' - something like 1.25" - so it won't poke through.

I kind of wish I'd seen this thread before I bought my parts as well but it's done now and my Service Dept. takes pretty good care of me so I won't complain (save my 'chips' for the next issue that comes along).

Good luck to all!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

When I got my light there was an extra push connecter in the bag that I couldn't quite figure out right away. Maybe yours didn't have one, but mine did. It turns out that is what you use to mount it to the hood. When you put it all together it looked like one of those 'push together and never take apart' kits in kids toys.

Lets see if I can explain this right... There was a flap the same size as the profile of the whole box under the light box that snaps onto the box when closed. There's a hole in that piece that fits the push clip and once you attach it to the hood then you clip the light box onto the 'flap' and you'll basically never get to the push clip again without some trickery or just pulling it out and bending the ribs backwards