DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 2500 6.7
Trim Level: TRX4 4X4
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
DeiselD is on a distinguished road
Default Heated seats -on cloth - cheap mod

Hi ... just bought a 2008 diesel 2500 with TRX4 package, and it has the cloth seats with the fold-up center seat back and a fixed floor console that has 3 cup holders and the 4x4 shifter as part of the assembly. I am looking to do a couple of things:
1) With the leaves falling of the trees and a couple of nights getting to below freezing already (%!$*&), and having been spoiled with heated leather seats in my previous vehicle, I picked up some plug-into-the-lighter heated seat cusions to put under the seat covers that came with the truck.
2) I don't want to use grim looking lighter plugs, and would rather chop them off and hardwire the seat cushions to some lighted toggle switches at the dash, under the small switch panel that houses my engine brake switch. The problem is that I need to remove the floor console to get the wires to the dash, and I am hoping that somebody here has the procedure to remove it.
I realize that this mod is a bit goofy, but I need to keep my back warm to avoid muscle pain in my late-model bag of bones.

Anybody have a solution?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona
Trim Level: Daytona
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:43
Dalton is on a distinguished road

sorry i dont have an answer but if you dont mind sharing where did you get the cushions and how much did they cost. I sure would like to have heated seats again
Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

Where do you plan on wiring them to? I tried removig the consol once in an 05 with manual transmission without lookin it up and couldn't figure it out haha
In your case it may be easier to just tuck the wires under the edge of the consol and only remove the bezel around the radio since that is actually pretty easy.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
sorry i dont have an answer but if you dont mind sharing where did you get the cushions and how much did they cost. I sure would like to have heated seats again
I picked them up at a Canadian auto/department store called Canadian Tire. Thanks for getting me to look at their site again (canadiantire.ca), as I just bought these on sale last week, but saw some massage\heat ones for the same price just now! I guess it's time to upgrade . I checked the box ... they are imported from China for redistribution under an AutoTrends name. Probably can get similar at WalMart or on eBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangshcky12 View Post
Where do you plan on wiring them to? I tried removig the consol once in an 05 with manual transmission without lookin it up and couldn't figure it out haha
In your case it may be easier to just tuck the wires under the edge of the consol and only remove the bezel around the radio since that is actually pretty easy.
Yeah, I think that the tuck might work for that portion. There is a removable tray that allows easy access for getting the cabling through, but will still need to mount some toggle switches on the dash, and will take another look at that. Thanks ....
Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Console removes pretty easy. It's only a 2 Tylenol job.

Remove the 4WD shifter knob and boot
Pop out the cup holder tray
Remove the 4 bolts (2 from the shifter hole and 2 from the cup holder hole)
Lift off cover
Remove the 2 bolts from the mini console front tray and remove (takes a bit of a tug as there are 2 clips holding the front of it.)
That should give you full access.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Console removes pretty easy. It's only a 2 Tylenol job.

Remove the 4WD shifter knob and boot
... full access.
Excuse my noobness, but how do I remove the $WD shifter knob? I tried to turn it but didn't get far. Also, does the boot snap out? Thanks in advance ... even though my power is at zero ...
Old 10-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

The center cap will pop off with a small screw driver. There is a nut under it that holds the knob on.

Whether the rep value is 0 or 50 does not matter, it's the thought that counts. I'm not here to build a big rep number, I'm here because this forum has helped me immensely, and I'm doing my best to pay some of that back.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well said, Brad. Well said. And thanks for the help!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeiselD View Post
Hi ... just bought a 2008 diesel 2500 with TRX4 package, and it has the cloth seats with the fold-up center seat back and a fixed floor console that has 3 cup holders and the 4x4 shifter as part of the assembly. I am looking to do a couple of things:
1) With the leaves falling of the trees and a couple of nights getting to below freezing already (%!$*&), and having been spoiled with heated leather seats in my previous vehicle, I picked up some plug-into-the-lighter heated seat cusions to put under the seat covers that came with the truck.
2) I don't want to use grim looking lighter plugs, and would rather chop them off and hardwire the seat cushions to some lighted toggle switches at the dash, under the small switch panel that houses my engine brake switch. The problem is that I need to remove the floor console to get the wires to the dash, and I am hoping that somebody here has the procedure to remove it.
I realize that this mod is a bit goofy, but I need to keep my back warm to avoid muscle pain in my late-model bag of bones.

Anybody have a solution?
I would try tucking the wires under the edge of the console (without removing it) and see if you can get things routed to where you need to go. I would avoid removing the console. Too many times I've heard of guys getting rattles in their consoles after taking them apart. Those little rattles and squeaks drive me crazy!!!