DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
Cthulhu is on a distinguished road

A bit of follow up on this..

I pulled my filter off and wouldn't you know it, I found a trail of dust down the tube, down wind of the filter. I called K&N and spoke with a warranty engineer who asked I send him pictures of the dust, the turbo, and the filter.

They've requested I send the filter back to them, and are replacing it with a new k&n filter. They are going to figure out why there is dust, but they said from the pictures, it doesn't appear to have gotten into the turbo, so far.

We'll see how this turns out...
Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Dodge Service Manager

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Pearl Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
Rutger34 is on a distinguished road

There is a TSB in the Chrysler data base that is right from Cummins that tells dealers to inform Chrysler immediately if an aftermarket CAI is found to be installed in a truck with a Cummins engine.

You may have spoken to K&N but why don't you speak to your dealer? K&N is not the one who is potentially going to have to deal with the situation directly if you have a problem with your truck and Chrysler says "no warranty". I am sure that K&N are not going to offer to pay any of the bills if you are told "no warranty". Speak to your dealer and let them know about your concerns regarding warranty. See if they can help you get the truck back to stock because of your concern with warranty.

Speak to the Service Manager at the dealership, see what he/she says about the aftermarket filter. After getting information from the people who are going to be the ones who will be trying to help you with warranty, you should be well educated on what you should do.
Injen Power Flow cold air, Truxedo tonneau cover, 3" carbon fiber antenna, Power locking tailgate, tinted front windows. Mopar sidesteps. 3M covering nose. Billet license plate cover, Blue LED interior lights, fully de badged, EZ down tail gate.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad CTD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bronze
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:17
HomeGrown is on a distinguished road

GREAT advise Rutger.
Sure, K&N will stand behind their product... what have they got to lose in this deal? Talk to the dealer and let them know about your concerns. I'd only want the best filter on my truck. If nothing else, maybe you can find a proper replacement air filter and still use the K&N intake.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008
Trim Level: Larimie
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
smokin 08 is on a distinguished road
Default Expeireance with K/N filter....

Just my input of expeireance I had on my 04 Sierra gas truck.I installed a cold air tube and it came with a K/N filter,after about one year I took the filter off for a cleaning and boy was I shocked at the DUST inside the tube leading to the intake!!! The throttle valve was all covered in black soot which was probably dust passing over it.I wasn"t impressed,whats an engine worth today?but most don't worry about this because vehicles are traded in before lots of kms. are on them.So I said screw the K/N and installed a AMS nano filter, no dust! Check them out superior filter and it was DRY no oil to worry about as the other filter was always giving me a code(mass air).So there are lots out there and they give lots of promise but when you physically see there filtration performance you wonder how good they are? Thanks.