DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Mobil Delvac 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, 1gal
Mobil Delvac 15W-40 meets the CJ-4 & CI-4 specs

Walmart gets about $15 for a gallon

11 quarts needed with oil filter, i believe
oil filter is about $12

3 gallons $45
oil filter $12

not bad at all, when compared to the gas powered HEMI
Mobile One Synthetic
2 gallons = $62.. at Walmart
Wix oil filter $7 .. at O'riellys
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 10-21-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi QC 2X4
Trim Level: SLT- Luxury&Security
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
Willbrewer is on a distinguished road

What I really didn't like about my old 2010 CTD was that the oil turned black from soot contamination in no time, just a few miles after the change. The EGR valve opens up and mixes sooty exhaust into the intake to help achieve cleaner emissions. That's one of the reasons the newer Dodge Cummins don't have to use DEF fluid.

I usually changed my oil every 3000-4000 miles because I couldn't stand the thought of all that soot in the oil, not to mention the fuel diluting the oil from the regeneration cycles- another clean emissions trick. Crankcase capacity is 12 quarts (including what's in the oil filter).

Stated OCI in the manual for the 2010's was 7500 miles, or 6 months, or when the indicator told you to change it. The indicator calculates OCI by the type of duty the truck is subjected to.

When the Cummins is worked hard and allowed to run hot (the way it's meant to be ran) things usually stay nice and clean.

I do miss my CTD for towing, but I don't miss the maintenance. And my 1500 Hemi seems to pull just fine. Stopping is another matter.

Bill
Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Cummings engine in Chrysler vehicles will have to start using UREA in the fuel system, in either 2012 or 2013, too bad you can't just pee in the UREA tank

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2010-HD.html
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbrewer View Post
What I really didn't like about my old 2010 CTD was that the oil turned black from soot contamination in no time, just a few miles after the change. The EGR valve opens up and mixes sooty exhaust into the intake to help achieve cleaner emissions. That's one of the reasons the newer Dodge Cummins don't have to use DEF fluid.

I usually changed my oil every 3000-4000 miles because I couldn't stand the thought of all that soot in the oil, not to mention the fuel diluting the oil from the regeneration cycles- another clean emissions trick. Crankcase capacity is 12 quarts (including what's in the oil filter).

Stated OCI in the manual for the 2010's was 7500 miles, or 6 months, or when the indicator told you to change it. The indicator calculates OCI by the type of duty the truck is subjected to.

When the Cummins is worked hard and allowed to run hot (the way it's meant to be ran) things usually stay nice and clean.

I do miss my CTD for towing, but I don't miss the maintenance. And my 1500 Hemi seems to pull just fine. Stopping is another matter.

Bill
The oil in any diesel engine turns black in less then 20 miles. I will agree the the egr plates are rather gross with sludge and soot.
I was actually talking to a few cummins engineers just yesterday. Talking about the emissions, their larger truck use dpf and def. I'm not sure if that's going to end up being used in passenger vehicles or not though.
Was your 2010 a chasis cab truck? Those are the only rams that have used the DEf system. Right now the cummins is the only one who uses the dpf system
Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Rep:10
novaken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangshcky12 View Post
I think your last thread about this stayed pretty well on track a month ago.
I agree. Sorry it is bad news.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

I bought the rotella at sam's club by the case and usually got 2 oil changes out of it. Just make sure you use the Mopar/Cummins filter. Then again that was on a 5.9 24valve that simply wouldn't die even though it was pushin 600hp and 1200lb/ft of torque.

If cost is what you're concerned with then look into AmsOil, I forget how long the interval is but I believe it is around 3 times the length of standard oil.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi QC 2X4
Trim Level: SLT- Luxury&Security
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:28
Willbrewer is on a distinguished road

Mine was a crew cab, Stangshcky12. No DEF used in it.

Bill
Old 10-27-2011, 02:06 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
Trim Level: Laramie Quad Cab
Color: Bright Silver - PS2
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
CBR Dude is on a distinguished road

Well I found a place to do the deed for just under 100 bucks. I dropped it off and picked it up later in the day.

Today I checked the oil and it was as black as the asphalt on the street. WTF I just paid all those dead presidents and the oil was not changed. I called the shop right away to complain. I got lesson # 101 on diesel oil. I felt like a total jerk. The guy was super cool about the entire conversation.

The one question I have is; I get the black oil from reading other posts, but it looks like the case is now over filled when I pulled the stick and checked. I've put several hundred miles on it since the change. Do I need to get worried about this?

Like I said in my previous post; I failed on the maintaining portion of doing my homework when I purchased this monster. I've got nothing but trouble on this vehicle.

First - It was parking both at home and work. I've ironed that out. At work I have to park in the back 40 and walk 3 isles more. At home I either have to park it in my drive or back it to the common space parking, can not leave anything in the bed of the truck that would denote the vehicle as being used for commercial purposes, no lettering, or ladder rack.

Second - The County tried to tell me it was a commercial vehicle and tax me al full boat. I told them I don't own a business, nor does it have any commercial looks or lettering on it. Guilty for having a big vehicle

Third - I got a nasty gram from EZ-Pass for not having the correct speed pass. I supposed to have the "Commercial" speed pass. Another pissing contest. I had to drive it over to EZ Pass and have them take a look at it. It's concidered commercial due to the number of wheels and weight!

Forth - Fuel is all over the place and varies as much as .60 + cents a gallon within a 10 mile radius. It ranges from 3.59 - 4.22. the guy at 4.22 is on crack I've decided!! I've been using Gas Buddy to find the cheapest place to fill up. I figured out the green pricing signs if they have diesel fuel.

Had I known any of this were going to be an issue I would have bought the SRW or a gasser. So much for doing my homework!!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

I would tell your neighbors to shove it. I don't see any reason why they should give you grief about your truck whether it's a work truck or not. People are so uptight anymore it's ridiculous.
Second I'm sure you purchased your truck because you are hauling something. Do some research as far as class your truck needs to be registered, alot of states allow you to drop a class down. Class 3/4 registration can be very expensive. I know several people that don't bother putting the class sticker in there windshield until they are towing something that puts them into that class.
I would be more then just frustrated if I was in your position
Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
Trim Level: Laramie Quad Cab
Color: Bright Silver - PS2
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
CBR Dude is on a distinguished road

I would nothing more than to tell my freaking neighbors to shove it where the sun does not shine and then beat them senseless on top of that. But they don't have any sense, so that's a total waste of my time.

I live in a Nazi HOA community. Its the battle of the wits and whos got better legal knowledge on common property, ect... Its run by Associa, which is dirty as dirty can be. If you press the issue they get there lawyers involved and then give you the bill for it, even if you win the case you get the bill. Ugh. To make matter worse the community manager is a real piece of work. When you press any issue with her she cries a crisis and they cant touch her. They have been actively trying to get rid of her, but shes stuck like glue. Last time I checked Virginia was a fire at will state. Good bye is whats Id say and dont let the dam door hit your back side.

Even buying the monster was a chore. I evoked the services of USAA and Costco buying services to get the truck. The trick to that is the dealer has to have the vehicle in stock or is willing to get it. Willing was not on anyones radar screen. That dealership had no trucks on its lot period. I knew it was a waste of time from the moment I stepped onto the lot. I ended up getting it myself from out of state. I got a great deal. The dealership was fantastic, too bad they dont have any shops around here otherwise Id go out of my way to get it serviced and buy my parts from them. My local shop is run by a bunch of middle easterners, need I say more! Im sure its a front for money laundering!

I should be writing a book, but I have better things to do.

So my saga continues. I plan on rolling this beast until the 6 wheels fall off.