DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

all i know is sylvania silverstar bulbs if you could find them for the tail light. coming along nicely with the mods, did u tint or spray the lights? I have been thinking of doing a light coat as almost to make it appear gray or very light tint.

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram MEGA cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Dark Grey Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:137
millon9 will become famous soon enoughmillon9 will become famous soon enough

LED bulbs are so easy it's laughable. If you are looking to replace them with new tails altogether, that's probably even easier. The LED bulbs seriously plug in just like a normal everyday bulb, into the existing OEM socket. Only thing that could go wrong is that it doesn't turn on, in which case you unplug it, rotate it 180 degrees, and plug in again.

www.woundedwarriorproject.org
Donate and help the people who gave limbs to help you!

Jason
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
did u tint or spray the lights? I have been thinking of doing a light coat as almost to make it appear gray or very light tint.
Spray tint, we used niteshades or whatever it's called. I used one can total. Then like 1 to 1.5 cans clear coat. I actually didn't pay great attention to how many coats we were doing, but I think it was about 4 or 5 light coats of tint, let dry for an hour, wet sand, then about 5 or 6 medium coats of clear, then dry for about an hour, hit it with a heat gun to get the clear coat a bit harder, then wet sand. Turned out great, a hair darker than I was going for but they look awesome I think. Total cost (bought two cans) was about $30 (shipping is in that cost....had the tint shipped to my door), I already had 2 cans of clear coat and all other supplies. Took all day but we got the couple other mods done in between coats.

Quote:
LED bulbs are so easy it's laughable. If you are looking to replace them with new tails altogether, that's probably even easier. The LED bulbs seriously plug in just like a normal everyday bulb, into the existing OEM socket. Only thing that could go wrong is that it doesn't turn on, in which case you unplug it, rotate it 180 degrees, and plug in again.
I definitely am keeping the stock lenses. I thought with LED's you had to change wiring or something like that? If it's just a bulb swap I'm definitely getting them, I'd like to have as much light output through the tint as possible without hacking up the stock harness. Does autozone and similar sell the LED bulbs? Thanks.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

You will have to wire in a resistor for the blinkers, but I believe that's pretty easy. There is a link on a how to that I will find and edit into this reply. DON'T get the bulbs from Autozone or wherever, the third party seller they use massivley overprices the bulbs. Your honestly better off on ebay to tell ya the truth.

EDIT: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthr...t=led+resistor You will have to scroll down a little to see the resistor install, it's after the dome light pictures.

Jason

Last edited by millon9; 11-07-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks for the help, I haven't really looked into it at all. I'd like to do the tail lights with the LED's just for safety as the tint is dark. I know most do the headlights but I really don't have an issue with them...

Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Thanks for the help, I haven't really looked into it at all. I'd like to do the tail lights with the LED's just for safety as the tint is dark. I know most do the headlights but I really don't have an issue with them...

I priced out Advance for my LED reverse bulbs, they (Advance) don't carry them, so they order through a company called Keystone. As soon as I saw the guy pull out the book I knew I wasn't gonna order them, but waited for the price anyhow. Even the Advance guy was blown away, Keystone wanted 77 bucks for a pair of white 3057 LED bulbs. That's obscene!

Found a BRIGHTER pair of reverse bulbs on ebay for 22 bucks, very satisfied with that purchase.

Jason
Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Seems easy enough, one wire to change per light basically, right? I know how to use a lighter and heat shrink

Thanks for the link and help, do you happen to have pics of your LED's?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

My LED reverse bulbs, yes. I opted to go with whole new LED tail light assemblies so my brake/running/turn signals are all LED boards that came in the assembly. I think they are in my build thread, first page. From what i'm told, they are very close to HID brightness for reverse lights.

Jason
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 AM

I'll check out your thread. I like the plain look personally, not the flashy stuff, but just need a little more light output. It's *ok* at night, but at day it sucks. If it got 25% brighter that would be good, any more would be great. So the resistors are only for the bulbs that blink right, the turn signals? I wouldn't need the resistors for the third brake light, cargo lights, and reverse lights if I decided to do them all. Maybe license plate lights too... I'm extremely pleased with how the lenses came out, and happy I taped off the reverse lights. I think taping them off makes it look a little bit more legal too....but maybe I'm just trying to talk my wife into being happy with them. haha

Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I'll check out your thread. I like the plain look personally, not the flashy stuff, but just need a little more light output. It's *ok* at night, but at day it sucks. If it got 25% brighter that would be good, any more would be great. So the resistors are only for the bulbs that blink right, the turn signals? I wouldn't need the resistors for the third brake light, cargo lights, and reverse lights if I decided to do them all. Maybe license plate lights too... I'm extremely pleased with how the lenses came out, and happy I taped off the reverse lights. I think taping them off makes it look a little bit more legal too....but maybe I'm just trying to talk my wife into being happy with them. haha

I am with ya on the taped off reverse lights! You are correct that the resistor is ONLY for the bulb that will blink, and that will solve the 'quick flash' that your truck will do. All the other 'on or off' bulbs are simple replacements. I think you will notice a difference in the output for sure. When your looking for the bulbs, obviously a higher number of LEDs will be brighter, and the SMD types are the ones to get. (My reverse lights are 64 LEDs in each bulb.)

Jason