DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

What's SMD? And sorry I don't know any info on this stuff, never got into it, and not very good with electrical, but what is the difference between regular bulb, LED, and HID?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram MEGA cab
Color: Dark Grey Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:137
millon9 will become famous soon enoughmillon9 will become famous soon enough

SMD stands for Surface Mound Device, which just tells you how the LED is designed. LEDs that come in the LED tail lights (like mine for example) are regular LED single bulbs, dome shape and all. The SMD LEDs look like little patches fused on a cardboard like material, not looking like a 'typical' light. The SMD technology allows more LEDs per bulb, while not taking up an excessive amount of space.

Regular (halogen) bulbs run on the arcaic filament system, which takes more energy than a LED to power, burns hotter, and takes more time to light up. LEDs are a clear advantage over halogens due to those reasons. The lifespan of an LED bulb compared to a halogen bulb is unreal as well. Unless you totally destroy the bulb in a wreck, the LED will MOST likely out-live the truck, as they have a typical lifespan of anywhere between 40,000 and 100,000 hours of life.

HID (High Intensity Discharge) is a lower wattage, Mercury-based, light option. Mainly used in headlights, however they have been added to reverse lights in some vehicles. They are available for most vehicle applications, in a conversion kit, where a ballast, and possibly a relay, are installed converting the power to a steady 35W to light the bulb. Light output is far, far better than the best halogen bulb you can find.

www.woundedwarriorproject.org
Donate and help the people who gave limbs to help you!

Jason
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thank you for explaining that. I know I've had LED's on my bikes for turn signals, they looked like a bunch of little bulbs, never knew why though.

It sounds like I'm going to look for the SMD LED turn signal bulbs and third brake light bulb. Not going to worry about the others, they are fine by me...

Do you think I can expect a 25% or greater light output?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram MEGA cab
Color: Dark Grey Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:137
millon9 will become famous soon enoughmillon9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Thank you for explaining that. I know I've had LED's on my bikes for turn signals, they looked like a bunch of little bulbs, never knew why though.

It sounds like I'm going to look for the SMD LED turn signal bulbs and third brake light bulb. Not going to worry about the others, they are fine by me...

Do you think I can expect a 25% or greater light output?

I would say i'm 75% sure you will be satisfied with the light output of the LEDs. I can GUARANTEE they won't be any dimmer! If you aren't satisfied at least you have a brand new bulb, that you will probably NEVER have to replace again on that truck.

Shop around, here's the link for the site some members use here:

www.superbrightleds.com

And this is where I ordered all of my LEDs, yes it's ebay, but he's cheap and I haven't had an issue yet with anything i've bought from him:

http://stores.ebay.com/HID-Distributor?_rdc=1

www.woundedwarriorproject.org
Donate and help the people who gave limbs to help you!

Jason

Last edited by millon9; 11-07-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 AM

Will look more into this later, thanks for all the help! Reps.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Lookin' real good, Sean...what's next???
Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks Michael, that means a lot from you! Man I don't know what's next, so many things I want to do performance wise and appearance wise....I can say the top of the list items are ram air, LED brake lights, tinted front windows, and something with the headlights. Other mods I've added to the list that I want to complete are sport color matched bumpers and color matched grill.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

That's a good plan. Sport fascias really make a huge aesthetic difference, IMHO. I will eventually do mine as well.

Good luck with the other mods and I'll keep an eye out for your next mod!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Nice looking truck. You know you arent in a race to mod your truck so dont get down on yourself for doing things slow and thinking out your steps, it will get there. I think you have done a great job and have some fine plans, keep up the good work
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 11-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Yeah after tinting the lights I realized how clean the truck would look with the sport color matched bumpers. The good news is I'm pretty good at painting for an amateur and I should be able to do the conversion *somewhat* cost efficient lol. I also have a decent compressor and my wife bought me a really nice set of guns. I haven't even used them once yet. Unfortunately as expensive as it is it will probably be a while before I get to the bumpers.