DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
crg1987 is on a distinguished road
Default TB Spacers?

I've got a 99 1500 4X4 with the 5.9L V8 and I'm wondering if anybody has used a TB spacer that actually works...If one of you all have one that works let me know the brand name and all that good stuff.... Also, is K&N intake systems really worth the money for my truck or is there a cheaper one that is just as good? Lastly, is there a programmer made for my year truck? I'd like to be able to control my idle and fuel/air mixtures and all that cuz I use my truck as a daily driver as well as a weekend rig...That should be enough questions for now...lol...thanks for the help!
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I've got a TB spacer that came with my CAI. I've got the AEM Brute Force. I believe it's a little bit less expensive than the K & N. granted I've got an '08 with the 5.7L HEMI. I haven't noticed that the spacer does a damn thing.

I've had many people (here and elsewhere) say that the TB spacer doesn't do much more than create a whistle under heavy acceleration. I've never experienced this.

I went with the AEM because I'd had good luck with 'em in the past, and not so good luck with the K&N. I had a K&N CAI on my wife's Magnum (it also had the 5.7L HEMI) and the warm air from the engine bay was mixing with the cooler air getting sucked in, causing it to ping more often than not, the "air box" didn't seal very well against either the fender or the hood allowing this to happen. With the AEM it seal well (perhaps not as well as some but it works for me), I get no ping. Performance has improved a wee bit, mostly torque on the low end, and there is the growl when I romp on it.

As for programmers I'd look into the Predator, that seems to be what lots of folks like, and is what I'll be getting if I can ever gather the funds together.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 05-10-2009, 02:13 PM
erm

I've never seen any definitive data that shows a TB spacer does anything to improve performance. I suspect that they may help reduce intake air temp some as they are material that will thermally isolate the TB from the intake manifold but it's such a short passage length it can't really make any difference.

As far as a programmer, for the HEMI the combination of a cold air intake, catback exhaust and the Predator is the best bang for the buck mods you can make. The tool is very versatile. I love my Predator!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

crg1987 is on a distinguished road

I'm hearing that they are intended more for carberated motors anyway so I'll wait until I get cash I want to burn (which is never...lol) Thanks for the input on the rest!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 AM
beall86

hey ya'll i got an 08 ram with the 4.7L and i was wanderin if anyone out there had put a throttle body spacer on theirs yet and if so hows it holdin up and what kind of power and torque did they get from it?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:16 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

I don't believe any modern engines will benefit from a TB spacer, nor is there proof that any do.

Don't waste your money.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, useless on the newer engines in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Shug is on a distinguished road

I look at it like this, is an inch of space will help the mpg and the hp very much then why dont they add one on at the factory.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:11
Zekery360 is on a distinguished road

TB spacers are an enormous waste of hard-earned money. Swirling air, as most of them do, before the intake runners does nothing at all. Common sense explains the waste of money they are.