DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

As I recall the PSM's are 4" so I'd check your air box first to see if there is enough room to cut a 4" hole. The DYI system looks like they are using a 3" hole. I'd have to look under the front end to see where the appropriate place would be to run the down tube. You can call PSM and talk to them, they have always been very helpful to me when I have talked to them.
Jay
Old 06-10-2011, 02:23 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

I removed the lower "fake" grill on my 10' Sport,
figured it didn't match the upper honeycomb anyway.

I just need to route a duct to my Airaid box now
..possibly fill the opening with a matched honeycomb grill if I can find something close.

For now it looks pretty tough with it just left open

before pic...

after

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 06-10-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD
Trim Level: Express Regular Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:74
jmr will become famous soon enough

Finally I modified the lower grill and put a 3"x4" reducer on the end of the intake pipe and mounted it behind the lower grille.

I have since sold the '10 QC 4x4 and bought a '12 Express RC 4x2. I've already done this mod to my '12 Express but the intake pipe just sits behind the lower grill..it's not opened up yet.

Good job BackRamHemi you can probably find some grille material to match the upper grille.

'14 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD 3.6L 8SPD 3.55 W/LSD uConnect 5.0 Red Calipers, K&N Filter, 4" AirBox Intake Tube, Cabin Air Filter, Upper Glove Box, Hemi Dual Exhaust, Leather Steering Wheel w/Radio Controls, Mopar Bed Liner, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Cover, 22MM OEM Rear Swaybar

Last edited by jmr; 11-01-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

This a great and innovative home mod for sure. No kidding on the apparent restriction in the fender well where the OEM box gets its cold air intake. I'm going to do something similar. While researching this, I noticed that Spectre Air Intakes...also carried by Summit Racing...has a good supply of 3" and 4" ductwork, flanges, reducers, and a bunch of other air plumbing parts for DIY setups. Don't really know or claim that those parts would be any more functional or effective than the hardware store items here, but it's another source of parts if one wants to take a different approach. I think I may have found my choice of cold air scoop to mount in the lower grill opening...once the proper hole is cut. The part pictured here came from a window exhaust kit for one of those DeLonghi room AC units...the kind you don't have to stick in the window. Looks like it was made for our lower grill panel...with the proper hole, of course. I'll have to shim the big round inlet hole a bit for a tight 4" fit, but that will be relativel easy. I'm sure there are other similar products for everything from dryer vent systems to other possible candidates. The nice 8" X 2" oval hole was handy on this part.

With a better flowing aftermarket filter, I'm thinking this airbox mod when coupled with a better flowing air tube over to the throttle body would probably give all the cfm that most people would need for trailer towing and more common uses short of just WOT, drag racing, high rpm performance. The stock air filter size is fairly huge. All of this coupled with a better flowing muffler should be a decent bang-for-the-buck approach that doesn't break the bank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ram Air Scoop.JPG (84.7 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by TNC; 11-14-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 11-14-2011, 01:42 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

View of fender opening from engine bay (after airbox removal)

view from the front on a friends Ram with headlight removed at the track to reveal the other side of the fender opening

Close up

The "limited" path the air has to take when the headlight is installed

I've rigged up twin 3" feeder tubes to my Volant Box (Lowes Hardware for less than $20)

Flex pipe extends from 12" up to 20" (I actually used three flex sections and 1 coupler)

First one directs air toward the stock fender port, the other two connected with a coupler to the Volants optional lower port.

Along with my Fastman Throttle Body I'm getting about as much air as possible.

(also have Magnaflow Y pipe and CatBack (no resonators) to free up exhaust flow)

My post from Sept 18/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
WOW!!!

I dont usually post "butt dyno" results, but I cant wait to get to the track!
I added my own lower Ram-Air tube to the Volant with excellent results!!!

Not being the patient type, I wasn't satisfied to wait for Volants release of their lower scoop in November
...besides our Track closes after the first week in Oct.

So off to Lowes for some more flex tube, so now I have Dual 3" feeder tubes to my air box,
one to the stock fender port and one directly to the bottom of the Volant box,
But BOTH force fed and Ram'd from the front bumper opening.

I know a smooth tube would be better than the ribbed flex tube,
but for now this works and I'm out less than $20 total until the scoop is available.

View from the Bottom looking up (Left tube goes to the air box, Right goes up the fender)

View from below where the tube enters the lower port on the Volant box.

from the CAI thread : http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59630&page=29

She runs consistent 13's now even at high DA (2000'+)
...and would be a Beast at sea level in cooler weather

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 11-14-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM

oh, BTW Metro Restyling has grill material to finish the look off and clean up the front end

available in 12" x 48" sheet

Just need to graft it onto the stock surround after cutting the center section out, like MGH did for his Twin Turbo intercooler

I wont be doing it until Spring though, race season is over here (Snow) and my stock "fake" grill is back in place for the Winter

Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:59
MeanMango2010 will become famous soon enough

Just reading through here. I was looking at ebay seups the other day and wouldn't they be similar to this setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-09-10-11...sories&vxp=mtr
Vortec Supercharger, Upgraded Trans by MGH w/ Edge 2800 stall converter, Yukon DuraGrip LSD, ARH LongTube Headers, 18" Mufflex and QTP Cutout, AIS Water/Meth, 2/4" Ground Force, E-Fan w/ clutch fan delete, random orange and black paint.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMango2010 View Post
Just reading through here. I was looking at ebay seups the other day and wouldn't they be similar to this setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-09-10-11...sories&vxp=mtr
That's basically a standard CAI like many already out there, isn't it? The quality and durability of the components might be debatable, but who knows. I think the neat thing about the OP's thread here is the cold air/ram air aspect of his mod and for very little money. The factory intake is already a cold air system, albeit probably less overall flow. Like I mentioned earlier, I think you're going to get some decent improvement with the OP's cold air, ram air mod and a better flowing OEM sized filter. I was looking at the size of the OEM filter in my '12 Express, and it has quite a few square inches of flow service. When the higher flow filter is coupled with a ram air inlet, and perhaps a more efficient air tube from the box to the throttle body, I'd bet that's all most people would need for trailer towing power and fuel economy. Put on a better flowing muffler and you're out the door with some effective mods and not a lot of money.

I can see the larger CAI systems being a benefit for an application where more exhaust mods are involved and higher rpm power is the priority. Let me ask a question here. Do the aftermarket CAI systems just use the existing fender opening or do they offer more intake volume somewhere in their intake design? If you don't get a bigger opening into the aftermarket box, it would seem that you're not taking full advantage of the what appears to be a bigger filter. For that matter, has anyone actually tried to calculate how much surface area there is on one of these aftermarket cone filters compared to the OEM surface area? I notice the Volant CAI seems to have an opening and an optional attachment for a cold air ram air addition much like the OP's mod on the OEM box here. And I guess one could add a ram air inlet like this one to just about any CAI box out there if they don't already have one.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
That's basically a standard CAI like many already out there, isn't it? The quality and durability of the components might be debatable, but who knows. I think the neat thing about the OP's thread here is the cold air/ram air aspect of his mod and for very little money. The factory intake is already a cold air system, albeit probably less overall flow. Like I mentioned earlier, I think you're going to get some decent improvement with the OP's cold air, ram air mod and a better flowing OEM sized filter. I was looking at the size of the OEM filter in my '12 Express, and it has quite a few square inches of flow service. When the higher flow filter is coupled with a ram air inlet, and perhaps a more efficient air tube from the box to the throttle body, I'd bet that's all most people would need for trailer towing power and fuel economy. Put on a better flowing muffler and you're out the door with some effective mods and not a lot of money.

I can see the larger CAI systems being a benefit for an application where more exhaust mods are involved and higher rpm power is the priority. Let me ask a question here. Do the aftermarket CAI systems just use the existing fender opening or do they offer more intake volume somewhere in their intake design? If you don't get a bigger opening into the aftermarket box, it would seem that you're not taking full advantage of the what appears to be a bigger filter. For that matter, has anyone actually tried to calculate how much surface area there is on one of these aftermarket cone filters compared to the OEM surface area? I notice the Volant CAI seems to have an opening and an optional attachment for a cold air ram air addition much like the OP's mod on the OEM box here. And I guess one could add a ram air inlet like this one to just about any CAI box out there if they don't already have one.
I can only speak for my Volant - It uses the stock intake position as well as a 4" hole in the bottom of the air box (very close to where these guys have bee drilling theirs). Volant offers a ram air attachment that draws from the lower grille area for most trucks up to and including the '08's. I called yesterday and they are working on a more cost-effective solution for the 4th gens but have been delayed by SEMA. They couldn't give me an ETA on availability.

I'm thinking about trying something along these lines with my Volant (at least until there's is released). When/if they release theirs I can make the choice then.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
I can only speak for my Volant - It uses the stock intake position as well as a 4" hole in the bottom of the air box (very close to where these guys have bee drilling theirs). Volant offers a ram air attachment that draws from the lower grille area for most trucks up to and including the '08's. I called yesterday and they are working on a more cost-effective solution for the 4th gens but have been delayed by SEMA. They couldn't give me an ETA on availability.

I'm thinking about trying something along these lines with my Volant (at least until there's is released). When/if they release theirs I can make the choice then.
I notice if I remember correctly that the additional lower tube to the grill on the Volant and a couple of other aftermarket air intake systems seem to run about $125 or even a good deal more. Honestly, I'm not a terrible cheapskate, but for some of us who've modded or had to make our own mods when they didn't exist or were ridiculously expensive on our vehicles over the years, some of this aftermarket, ready-to-bolt-on stuff seems obscenely expensive. For the most part in most of these aftermarket intake systems, the cost should be reflected in the airbox and the high-flow filter...which still seems overpriced at the $300-$400 range for many of them. But when you see the price of some of the relatively simple plastic "plumbing" pieces, it verges on ridiculous IMO.

Barnyard, unless you have lots of nice, disposable income, you could probably leave your DIY ram air setup in place once you get it assembled instead of spending the extra money on that Volant attachment, especially since you already have that convenient outlet. And please understand that I'm not dissin' those who want to buy those nice, ready-to-roll bits and pieces. I think the OP's setup here opens the door to some fairly effective DIY setups that will actually yield some decent results for the little money involved. I'm still thinking that an aftermarket muffler and this OEM airbox mod with the high-flow filter will be a very worthwhile investment in time. And after seeing the size of the OEM fender inlet, I'm thinking that even these aftermarket intake boxes/filters might not be getting full effect unless they have that additional inlet/hose to the front of the vehicle. It's easy to see why Volant, and I guess some others, provide that additional inlet hole in the airbox case.