DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
I believe he said his 318 is tired...if it has more than 200k on it, i could believe that.

Karmas,

I cannot comment on if the V10 will not bolt to your trans, and I really do not think it would hold the TQ anyway. You might want to think of buying the V10 truck, and rebuilding/doing a tranny swap. MUCH easier and more cost effective. The Swap will cost you, at minimum (if everything goes smoothly), $1,000. Thats IF you dont run into any problems, and not including the price of the truck. Then you have to take into account that nothing ever goes right the first time, murphy's law, etc...you could very well be looking at 2-3 thousand before its all said and done, AFTER you buy the truck. Much cheaper to buy an $800 tranny and swap it out.

Drive your old truck till the V10 is ready, and then HAMMER DOWN.
Looks thats a generalization that just because it had blank miles it's not going to have the compression or the ability it once did to become a performance engine. But I hate to say it but Mopar Engine 318 or any really cost a ton of money to be turned into a performance engine. The 318 would have the compression especially if you know the measurements of the engine the bore the material and a little knowledge on thermal expansion. Anyway's I have rebuilt these engines hell I even went over the phone and helped a guy rebuild his 318 and it has even more miles and you know he said it has a crap load of power the only thing that slowed it down was a horrible transmission. If you fix up that 318 you can change your timing for more lower end torque or whatever you can do that, I do agree about the transmission maybe no fitting and the torque issue but I do know that the 46RH can handle up to about 600 Ft Lbs hence the 6. ATSG States it and their info is from Chrysler and I know how to rebuild transmissions and engines been doing it for some time and I have never made a mistake on a single engine. But I mean if you want a V10 by all means please, I'll even look around and see if I can get you one for cheap whatever but usually the best thing is working with what you got and a 318 is perfect. Lets face it, this is a pickup truck it's not a old charger or challenger it's nothing really worth wasting a bucket of money into, surely I would be one of the people to waste money on something but usually it's because of some family value it has. Anywho the 47RH was used on the cummins and v10's at that time. You can find your self a 47RH for around 200 bucks. The RH is rear wheel hence R. I have a manual for the 47RH I believe. I do know the v10 is nice it's what inspired the viper motor it basically is a viper motor but I still believe you can get alot out of that 318 even if it's worn. Having a cast iron block and aluminum piston heads is an advantage because aluminum expands twice the rate per degree of iron so what even wear of the rings is done will be repaired from the expansion, besides I have seen engines with about 300K miles and more and they were just in horrible condition and they still held a compression of over 135PSI. I mean look I have a conversion van and if my little 318 that has 130K miles on it can do 0-60 in 10 Seconds truck weighs 6800+Lbs then you know you can get some serious power with a little here their stuff. Maybe get a performance cam and new push rods new lifters, hect if you can find some mopar performance heads you can do alot and if you want I can send you a copy of all the engine specifications for the 318 everything from valve clearence to the material of the engine components. I'm here to help and buying another engine and transmission isn't going to save money because you won't get a real low mileage engine for 300 bucks expect to spend at least 800 bucks for a rebuilt one and it's not even rebuilt with performance parts it's all aftermarket junk, but I have been surprised by some after market stuff.
anyways best of luck to you.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:53 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

You mean you are pro "12mpg hwy"?

EDIT: Ramvan, noone has attacked you, or called you out or said you dont know anything.

I do not disagree with you that the 318 is an awesome motor. I would rather have one of those than my 4.7, but the owner referred to it as "tired" which tells me, that at 300k, its probably starting to wear out.

There is no reason to get all worked up. Ultimately its his truck and he is gonna do what he is gonna do, regardless.

Oh, and if you think you are telling me anything I do not already know, you arent. Your specialty might be Mopar, but mine is, and always has been, machines.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 06-14-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:59 AM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You mean you are pro "12mpg hwy"?
I think if the guy is actually willing to spend money to find a v10 and a transmission to go along with it I don't think he gives two hoots and a twig about the gas mileage... That's just my assumption, and it's a real good one. And if he finds a auto with OD he will get alot more especially if he knows what he's doing he could pull more then what the manufacture says, the manufacture just bases the MPG on a generalization, like my van suppose to get 13/15/17 but I get alot more then that I get ok 13 City I believe that lol but I get probably 13/X/22 Depends. Hect and that was still with 86K miles at that time I remember clearly just had new coils put on. Anyways, We all know an engine is always something you can work with and I can say it better a 318 then a Civic haha.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
I think if the guy is actually willing to spend money to find a v10 and a transmission to go along with it I don't think he gives two hoots and a twig about the gas mileage... That's just my assumption, and it's a real good one. And if he finds a auto with OD he will get alot more especially if he knows what he's doing he could pull more then what the manufacture says, the manufacture just bases the MPG on a generalization, like my van suppose to get 13/15/17 but I get alot more then that I get ok 13 City I believe that lol but I get probably 13/X/22 Depends. Hect and that was still with 86K miles at that time I remember clearly just had new coils put on. Anyways, We all know an engine is always something you can work with and I can say it better a 318 then a Civic haha.

That was directed at the other guy who commented on his own gas mileage. I was joking anyway.

I am sure it is a real good assumption. I dont care about assumptions. And to be quite honest I dont care for your attitude when you havent been given any reason to have one.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 06-14-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
That was directed at the other guy who commented on his own gas mileage. I was joking anyway.

I am sure it is a real good assumption. I dont care about assumptions. And to be quite honest I dont care for your attitude when you havent been given any reason to have one.
Well whoever it was to I am just stating facts. I'm not the joking type, joking just screws stuff up anyways forget about it!

Sorry if I have seemed to offend you as it was probably just a misunderstanding because I don't have an attitude, I'm just telling it like it is. Not going to lie or sugar coat anything if I think it's a dumb Idea to replace an engine then I'm going to say is stupid. Anyway's I don't have an attitude how does one who types have an attitude. When you talk to someone face to face it's not what they really say it's body language. But I'm not going to get techie. Anyway's to the person who started this thread If you want to get a V10 whatever your business your choice but personally I think it's very stupid especially with the economy the way it is cause you have not a clue which way it is going to turn and it's dumb to remove a 318 when it's something you can work with.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
sledneckforlife is on a distinguished road

You will need a v10 or diesel trans- diff motor mounts- cooling- computer- front springs - rear axle- wiring. Alot of work for a lil benefit. Good luck!!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 ram 2500 2WD ClubCab
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:27
mayhem is on a distinguished road

Karmas,
I have a 96 ram 4X2 V/10 LWB with the 47rh tranny. motor has 111,000 on it and has a bad knock in it. (main bearing). otherwise in vg condition. If ur looking for a donor, I'll sell cheap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seq1 026.jpg (140.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
An old truck with 250HP is going to run better then a new Truck cause these dodge trannies today just plain suck very sensitive you have to baby them like crazy. But forget it. Well if you really want a v10 then go for it but yea you will have to replace the ECM, the wiring harnesses etc. Their is quite a bit that would need to be changed for it to work. Honestly you can get as much power out of the 318 as you can the V10 if you play your cards right. Hell just find a 318 and 727 Combination like from the old 70's chargers and their good to go. haha, anyways. Best of luck on your project, personally I think it's dumb to swap out a engine that is perfectly fine but your truck not mine.
You would have to have a high compression monster or a boosted engine to produce even close to what a higher displacement engine could be capable of. 318 out of a 70's Charger (I had a 72) is 230 gross, 180 net. 318 is a great engine, I have had them in damn near everything, but it was never a really good truck engine. The 360 was actually designed to be a C-body tank/truck engine.

Quote:
I believe he said his 318 is tired...if it has more than 200k on it, i could believe that.

Karmas,

I cannot comment on if the V10 will not bolt to your trans, and I really do not think it would hold the TQ anyway. You COULD make an adapter plate, but if it isnt perfect, it will never work right. You might want to think of buying the V10 truck, and rebuilding/doing a tranny swap. MUCH easier and more cost effective. The Swap will cost you, at minimum (if everything goes smoothly), $1,000. Thats IF you dont run into any problems, and not including the price of the truck. Then you have to take into account that nothing ever goes right the first time, murphy's law, etc...you could very well be looking at 2-3 thousand before its all said and done, AFTER you buy the truck. Much cheaper to buy an $800 tranny and swap it out.

Drive your old truck till the V10 is ready, and then HAMMER DOWN.
Wouldn't need an adapter plate, the iron V10 is a really long 360 (that's how they developed it). All the newer V-8's and their derivatives (3.7, 3.9) have the same classic small block mopar bolt pattern. I agree wholeheartedly that if you bolt your stock 200,000 mile trans (probably a 46RE, maybe even an A500 series?) to a built V-10 (I am assuming you aren't going to leave it stock) it will scatter parts and fluid all over the place. A newer built trans to handle the power you intend to make will make life better.

The cool thing is, this swap is already been done and done well.

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....d=147920&pos=1

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 11-13-2011, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
You would have to have a high compression monster or a boosted engine to produce even close to what a higher displacement engine could be capable of. 318 out of a 70's Charger (I had a 72) is 230 gross, 180 net. 318 is a great engine, I have had them in damn near everything, but it was never a really good truck engine. The 360 was actually designed to be a C-body tank/truck engine.

Wouldn't need an adapter plate, the iron V10 is a really long 360 (that's how they developed it). All the newer V-8's and their derivatives (3.7, 3.9) have the same classic small block mopar bolt pattern. I agree wholeheartedly that if you bolt your stock 200,000 mile trans (probably a 46RE, maybe even an A500 series?) to a built V-10 (I am assuming you aren't going to leave it stock) it will scatter parts and fluid all over the place. A newer built trans to handle the power you intend to make will make life better.

The cool thing is, this swap is already been done and done well.

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....d=147920&pos=1
I agree that the v10 is a 4 inch longer 360, but it does not share the bellhousing pattern with other LA's it shares it with the cummins

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 11-15-2011, 12:34 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggerville Ram View Post
I agree that the v10 is a 4 inch longer 360, but it does not share the bellhousing pattern with other LA's it shares it with the cummins
Nope. Iron V-10 uses the same pattern as an A, LA, Magnum, 3G hemi. The Cummins is adapted to fit Mopar transmissions.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people