DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

transengineer: judging by your name, do you happen to be affiliated with chrysler/ram in any way?

In another post you said the 65rfe operated no different than the 545rfe (both using 5 normal forwar gears). Why the differentiation in name then? I was under the impression the 65rfe used all 6 gears in normal forward acceleration.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
transengineer: judging by your name, do you happen to be affiliated with chrysler/ram in any way?

In another post you said the 65rfe operated no different than the 545rfe (both using 5 normal forwar gears). Why the differentiation in name then? I was under the impression the 65rfe used all 6 gears in normal forward acceleration.
Yes, I'm an engineer with Chrysler. I've worked in the RFE transmission group for the last 10 years or so. I don't know who decided (or why) to change the transmission designation from 545RFE to 65RFE, although I suspect Marketing was involved....
Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yes, I'm an engineer with Chrysler. I've worked in the RFE transmission group for the last 10 years or so. I don't know who decided (or why) to change the transmission designation from 545RFE to 65RFE, although I suspect Marketing was involved....
Very cool to have you looking around on the forums!

Is the only difference then with the 545rfe and 65rfe in fact the different torque converter?

Man, so many questions I'd like to ask you haha, but I'll back off...

Old 11-12-2011, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno on Slate
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
hpc3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hpc3
Default I don't believe this is the case with the shift patterns on the '10 545RFEs...

Quote:
The mpg is not any better because it is literally the exact same physical transmission. The rams before 2012 have a 545rfe "5 speed" transmission, but it actually has 6 forward gears. One of the gears is in between 2nd and 3rd and is called 2nd prime. It is mainly used for downshifting only. When you select tow/haul mode the gear pattern gets changed to eliminate the 2nd overdrive gear, and make the 2nd prime the 3rd gear, 3rd becomes 4th, 4th becomes 5th. The 2012 "6 speed" is the same it just has different programming so it always uses all six forward gears. 2nd and 2nd prime are so close in ratio that mpg is unaffected. IMO they did this to be able to market their truck as a "6 speed". Only other change was the torque converter. The predecessor to the 545rfe in chryslers was the 45rfe(still again the same physical transmission, just programming differences).

45rfe:
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
2nd Prime 1.50:1
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.75:1
Reverse 3.00:1

545rfe:
2nd Prime 1.50:1
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.75:1
5th 0.67:1

545rfe in tow/haul mode:
3rd 1.50:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.75:1

65rfe for 2012 rams:
3rd 1.50:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.75:1
6th 0.67:1
Although the gear ratios are the same there is no difference in normal driving between tow/haul and normal operation on mine. The trans in 2WD uses the following pattern(that I really hate with a passion):

1st
2nd prime
4th
5th
lockup

3rd is never selected, nor is 'true' 2nd unless it is a kick-down in 4wd mode. I've watched the schedules off and on now with a diag tool and can't understand why Chrysler would do this. I would be much happier if my truck used 1st, 'true' 2nd, 3rd, 4th and then 5th ... this should be possible with the gear sets... correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd buy a tuner if I could remap the gear change schedules. From what I've read the Supertuner one only allows torque management adjustments and shift timing on the stock trans programming, no gear selection changes. This is the one thing on my truck that really bothers me after a 1.5yrs of troublefree ownership. The 2ndP to 4th gear lag for town driving is awful, kick down response as well. If Chrysler would close the gaps in the first three 'true' gears this truck would be about perfect. I can tell you on the '12s(which I have not driven) if they are skipping gears for mileage or emissions reasons it will be no better than what I have today. The trans is *never* in the right gear for towing with the stock schedule. I have to manually shift or exaggerate the accel pedal to get it to respond.

Looking for help. Any tuning feedback appreciated.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU229 View Post
SO, whos idea was it to select such a sh!tty torque converter for the 4th gen 1500 trucks..!
What specifically do you not like about the torque converter? And what model year(s) are you referring to as "4th gen"? 2010 and later?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:52 AM

I assume he's referring to 4th gen as in when they changed the body style, so 2009 and newer. Many people were having issues with the torque converters causing noises, poor mpg, etc... There is a poll on the forum about whether you've had the issue or not and I think it was about 50/50(although this obviously isn't an overwhelming population of ram owners), but still many people had the issue.

I don't think there's any need to complain about chrysler's products when someone with the company is on the forum's willing to give advice and help, and trying to make their product better...could be asked in a much more polite way...

Old 11-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Yes, when I submitted that last post I was thinking perhaps he was complaining about the converter performance / stall torque ratio / durability problems, but after submitting it, it occured to me that he was probably referring to the noise issues.

I could be a smart aleck and say that yes, Dodge (or actually now, Ram) deliberately builds noisy torque converters so we can see whether customers are paying attention or not, and that we love to pay warranty claims to replace converters, but obviously that's not the case. The noise issue (we call it "warble") does not occur on all vehicles, and we've released a service torque converter that eliminates the noise for those who do have it.

The noise is caused by excessive lash between the turbine hub and turbine damper spline inside the converter. There is a small amount of tolerance on the spline teeth (for both parts), so the lash will vary from converter to converter. Many will have a small amount of lash, and therefore no noise. Others will have slightly more lash, and therefore will exhibit the noise. The noise is not a durability concern, but it is an annoyance for those who notice it. The replacement converters have a tighter turbine hub spline (which is actually an interference fit in some cases) which eliminates the noise. The turbine hub is the only part that changed, so replacing your converter will not improve performance or fuel economy (only the noise).

By the way, the new converter design introduced for 2012 MY fixes the noise issue and improves fuel economy, so that should help both of your concerns....
Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
And for you Sean, (snrusnak) (re: "someone with the company")
i`m not even going to comment on what you said, its obvious what your saying and how you said it.
I don't know what you mean by this. I just meant someone that is on the dealer/design side.

And just a guess here, but I think the replacement converter for the issues in the previous trucks is different from the 2012 converter. I heard the 2012 converter is supposed to yield better mpg.

No need to freak out just calm down, we're all just trying to help each other out

Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
... just a guess here, but I think the replacement converter for the issues in the previous trucks is different from the 2012 converter. I heard the 2012 converter is supposed to yield better mpg.
Yes,

The replacement 2011 converter (with revised turbine hub) won't change your fuel economy.

The new converter (that is in the 2012 trucks) does improve fuel economy.

And my smart aleck remark was intended to jokingly point out that we don't deliberately design vehicles with defective parts. It was NOT meant as an attack against anyone, so I apologize for that....
Old 11-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
GRam is on a distinguished road

Well it's obvious LU229 has had some problems with his RAM and is unhappy about it.. Guess what he doesn't realize is T.E. isn't the bad guy that built LU's truck and isn't going to help fix it for him.
What LU should realize however, is that perhaps if he were to pose a more civil line of questioning to T.E. perhaps then LU would have sufficient information that would allow him to go back to his dealer and achieve a greater level of satisfaction...
Failing that, LU, lighten up, the people on here didn't create your problem, they are only trying to help you..
my .02 anyways..

Torque, it's what moves you...