DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
BULL1TT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BULL1TT
Default "EDGE" Programmer questions on the levels

I Installed one in my 07 Ram, I have the 5.7. What I am curious to know is...

I have only had it one level 1, Economy. There are different settings or levels you can run.

I grabbed this from their site.

The Evolution provides four power levels designed to extract peak performance from a truck’s engine. Choose from the following power levels:
• Level 1 – Economy (8 HP; 20 ft-lbs torque)
• Level 2 – Tow (10 HP; 40 ft-lbs torque)
• Level 3 – Race (20 HP; 40 ft-lbs toque)
• Level 4 – Extreme (35 HP; 68 ft-lbs torque)

when I was researching programmers, I wanted one that gave real time info, This one does, Tells you engine temp, oil temp, trans temp, MDS mode etc etc and you can chose what you want to monitor.

I have never used any level other than towing. When I was at the local speed shop another guy was in there telling me he had purchased a different brand programmer (that I will not name) it was not an edge, and it was not a diablo. But it gave live info like the edge, and I was going to purchase this particular tuner until The guy I ran into at the speed shop told me he burnt off the ends of the plugs and other damage to his 08 chevy. He scared me out of buying what He bought so I got the edge.

On the economy level you only need to run regular fuel and it is supposed to improve shifting, and give better fuel economy. I see improvement in economy, but the shifting seems the same as it was before the programmer was installed.

I do alot of towing and I have not used the towing level yet. I hear and read stories of people doing damage to their motors when running a higher level tune. If anyone can give some more information I would appreciate it.

I am aware that other programmers are better, such as the Diablo, but like I said, I was interested in this unit because it displays live info while you are driving where other programmers do not.
Here is the info from the edge site if you care to read it.

This is the Programmer I have. I am not happy with the shifting on economy, But would like to try the towing setting. I don't want to damage the motor. I know I can call edge but I don't know If I will get an answer from them that I would get from someone who has one on here and has used it.

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=79&pvk=313
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 PM
erm

A lot of programmers, including those for diesel engines, increase power by increasing fuel and sending a signal to the PCM that the parameters are something other than what is really going on. As a result, for the gas engine folks, you get extremely high combustion chamber temps because the fuel continues to burn as not all of it is used during the firing cycle and stays there until the exhaust valve opens.

For the diesel folks, the glow plugs can handle it but downstream exhaust gas temps get to high and melt the turbo.

However, a tow mode won't hurt your truck.

One thing you don't hear from owners who have experienced engine or transmission damage attributed to a tuner are those who turn it all the way up and drive it like they stole it at the highest setting.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge 1500
Trim Level: slt sport
Color: flame red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
dodgecanam is on a distinguished road

I have one also and bought it for the same reason you did. I run on the tow setting all the time only time I take it off is to race or when it goes back it to dodge. Never had any problems and found I got the best mpg on that setting. Extreme is still my fav but don't like ripping aroundlike that its hard on tires. LOl
Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodgr Ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
B1G WI11Y is on a distinguished road

can you put that edge programmer on the 4.7l or are they totally different
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Since the tuner has real time data, can't you monitor your coolant temps fairly closely to see how the tuner might affect your engine at a higher tune? I have an MSD Dash Hawk that I use on a couple of GM vehicles I also own, and while it's not a tuner, you can read very sublte changes in critical data locations when the vehicle is under more extreme conditions...like in the mountains. I realize the heat is occuring in the combustion chamber, but that can relate fairly quickly in a digital coolant readout, whereas a dash guage might only move on the high end in 10 degree increments. With some quality real time data, maybe it's worth trying another tune to see if you hear detonation or consequential upticks in coolant temp. Dash guages give so little critical info, and even on the temp guage, you can see a climb starting on most data readers well before it becomes very noticeable on the dash guage. Sure you don't want to damage your engine or tranny, but with good data reading and paying attention, maybe you can see how the truck responds to the tuner on other levels. Pay attention to your truck.