DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough
Question Adding resonators to a Magnaflow cat back??

Picked three buddies up for lunch today. Almost immediately, two of them started complaining about the drone from my Magnaflow cat back. Said it overpowered the conversation we were having. Hate to say it but now that I have a few thousand miles on the exhaust upgrade, I have also noticed it has become considerably louder.

It seems to be worse at lower speeds (20-40 mph) and for some reason, right around 60 mph. Not so bad at other speeds. It is at it's worst just before it shifts into that final gear (this is from a normal, non-aggressive takeoff and acceleration). My wife also mentioned she can now hear my truck from inside the house every time I hit the remote start (she wasn't complaining, just noted she could hear it).

But I LOOOOVE the sound at WOT. Makes me giggle every time.

Would love to be able to scale it back a little to help minimize drone but let me keep on smiling when I open her up. Would adding resonators help and if so, should this even be done? Cost considerations? Not sure yet I will change anything, just seeking opinions and whether anyone else has done this.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue pearl coat/Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:13
gysnst2 is on a distinguished road

My to cents is yes. Most people just add a Maggie muffler and leave the resonators on. And most people I know say their is little to no drone. My muffler guy wants me to remove the resonators. But I think I'm getting old. I just do not want to hear it while towing.
AVS bug guard, Mopar rubber mud flaps, Mopar vent visers, Snugtop cap, Remote tailgate lock, 392 LS, VHT tail lights, 9" LCD headrests, Debaged sides, tinted 20% front 35% rear, cabin air filter mod, topguncostumz 2,25 rear lift coils, bilstein 5100 set at 2.8, and bilstein 5100 rear shocks
Old 11-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Resonators really help with drone, they don't effect performance, and barely effect sound at WOT; they are a win win win in my book. If I were you I'd try to find some used or at a junkyard or something that you can get for next to nothing, then pay a shop to weld them on(also cheap). If you can't find any you could buy universal ones.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Resonators really help with drone, they don't effect performance, and barely effect sound at WOT; they are a win win win in my book. If I were you I'd try to find some used or at a junkyard or something that you can get for next to nothing, then pay a shop to weld them on(also cheap). If you can't find any you could buy universal ones.
The muffler guy I talked to last week agrees with you. He said he's done several of these now with aftermarket mufflers, and the ones who did a complete tailpipe change without resonators yielded a not too pleasant tone. The ones he just did the muffler on sounded ideal in his opinion. Note, this guy will make more money if he can sell the whole muffler and tailpipe deal, so I'm not seeing his comment as a sales pitch. He said that there are a few models of vehicles that sound better if the resonators are left in place, and he feels the dual outlet tailpipe hemis are among them.

This guy also drag races some fairly stout, heavily modded cars. He says the resonators of the type that are on the Ram do not inhibit exhaust flow and only affect the nature of the sound. That sounded odd, as I always thought of resonators as a type of little muffler. After doing some research, I found that's not always the case. More often than not it's a chamber to affect sound and not exhaust flow. I've been a gearhead and hotrodder most of my life, but this is the first resonator equipped vehicle that I've owned. Most of my stuff has had headers and other old-school exhaust tech. My wife's stuff usually has had resonators, but I don't tear into her stuff...LOL!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah the resonators on these trucks are basically a mini straight through muffler, like the magnaflow that you have on your truck. The difference is they are shorter, and have much less volume. I don't know this for sure, but assume they have no packing and are just hollow. Having a magnaflow and resonators is basically the same as have straight pipes all the way back, as far as flow and performance go.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.