DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Color: Purple!
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
MrsArnold24 is on a distinguished road
Default How much to replace Brake Line?

The brake line rusted and broke on our 01 ram 1500 yesterday. Any idea what a shop (not dealership) would charge to replace the brake line?
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
2kram is on a distinguished road

cost of part + shop rate $80+hr. I havent done the front but the rear i did last year, i went to vip and bent them "gently", then zip tied it out of the way. A shop could also end up breaking the clips and bolts/screws that hold them in. more $ for you to shell out.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

If its the back I agree with 2 k remove old lines except pice that runs behind tank so you can have something to secure new lines to. By the way you might have to splice two lines together depends on what size you can find.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Ive done front and back on dads 95 2500 4x4. Its a snap now that I have a bending tool
Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
2kram is on a distinguished road

ramfam, i too have a bending tool.... a left and right hand.... lol i just figured that the fronts would be on the same principle until the flex part of the line @ the caliper
Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Ya so far flex lines are good. Its just the seel ones so far.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I was horrified to read that the brake lines are rotting off in NC, I thought that was a rust belt problem. I am guessing that the line behind the fuel tank blew out. If this is the case, a new one will slide in behind the tank inside the frame rail, just tape up the nut to keep it from sliding up the tube, and use the tape to cover the end of the line to keep foreign objects from contaminating it when shoving it in there. It's 3/16 tubing. I don't know how accustomed you are to using tools , and what you have available to you, the law sez here, no compression fittings on brake lines, so you would need a tubing cutter, one which will cut 3/16 tubing, and swings in compact areas, and a double flaring tool, and know how to use it. To make a brake line bender, you would need a piece of 1'' or so box tubing (preferred by me, flat stock would work) about 8 '' long, and 2ea. 1/2'' pipe couplers. (Mine is actually old driveshaft u-joint bearing cups, instead of pipe couplers) Weld one pipe coupler near the end of the tube, 1/4'' or so away, and the other coupler on the same flat, about 1/2 '' away from the other coupler, the rest of the tube is your hand grip, nice if taped up with scotch 33 electric tape or a suitable substitute. May sound simple, but it's an amazing little tool, and it never crunches brake line, and you can bend really close to the end of a piece of tubing, very handy if you are connecting at the rear of the tank, which is a pretty good bend, in a very compact little area. The front end of your line, can probably be connected below the drivers front of the cab, cut, (the brake line) in a spot with no damage from rust, and do a double flare on the new line where you can connect to the remaining piece of tube leading forward. Remember to put a nut on the line before you flare it!!! Never ziptie directly to another line, galvanic corrosion will accelerate the already formidable salt corrosion, use 2 separate zipties, one around each line, interconnected together, so the tubes do not touch anything but plastic, I always go around each tube twice, helps keep the tails short on the ziptie, and increases contact surface area, and hopefully, strength of the clamp. Your big nightmare just may be getting the air out of the system, if the bleeder nuts for the rear brakes are rotten, too. my air in the system went to the right rear brake, because of gravity and the way the lines are routed. You may need to replace wheel cylinders on the rear axle, if you break the little nuts. hint, get the right 1/4 '' drive socket, and breaker bar, hold some pressure on the nut in loosen direction, and smuck the breaker bar at the socket end to jar the nut inward, 50% chance of it breaking loose without breaking the nut. If the nut breaks, its change the wheel cylinder time, if not, you'll probably just need to clean the dirt out of the little holes in the nut with a pick, and reuse. the system will gravity bleed, if the nuts are cleaned up. Just make sure the master cylinder under the hood does not go empty... Paying to do this job will cost you $150, plus rear wheel cylinder change, if nuts won't come loose ($$$$) around here. Doing it yourself, $15, plus the cost of the tubing cutter and double flare tool ($85) and of course, 2 hrs, IF you don't have trouble with bleeder nuts.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 RAM Laramie SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
safetyfast is on a distinguished road

Did this recently. Borrowed the tools from O'Reilley, got them to cut a length of brake line and used the old nuts from the existing line. Took a couple of tries to get the hang of a proper flare, but overall a simple job.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 AM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Wish I had parts stores around here like you have, there, safetyfast, the ones I have only want your money, ALL of it, the only thing they seem to give out is smart remarks, I guess cuz they're all "parts pros" Yeah, right... I forgot in my above reply that they would need a 3/16 union, and small double flare 'B' nuts, 3 of em, for the tubing.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4x4
Color: Black
magnumv8 is on a distinguished road
Default Cost of brake line replacement (ohio)

had the rear brake line break on my 2000 ram 3500 cummings dump and a shop charged $170.

a month and a half earlier on my 99 ram 1500 qaud cad 5.9 v8 i have the line break on the rear end and my muffler melted the rubber hose to the left side by the rear en vent hose. to have the hose and the line to the front replaced was $105.

Both were on the drivers side that ran behind the gas tank. they were able to replace them with out dropping the tank.