DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Quad Cab 2wd 5-speed
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Maroon
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
JR23 is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrading from factory bulbs

Need some good advice on upgrading from the factory headlights and fogs now that i have one burned out. I have used silverstars in the past but did not get much life out of them for the price. I definately want to match heads and fogs. Looks silly having 2 different colors from your lights, but do want to upgrade from the factory. Thanks for the feedback, its been awhile since I've been on here. Luckily my truck has been doing great and just turned 122K!
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

You want real light output look into hid kits. for you gen ram you should be able to buy plug and play kits for lows and fogs and never have to turn your highbeams on again
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 09-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
You want real light output look into hid kits. for you gen ram you should be able to buy plug and play kits for lows and fogs and never have to turn your highbeams on again
+1 Crash nailed it! I just went through the hassle of upgrading halogen bulbs from Putco's to PIAA's then finally saying enough was enough and went HID. Never again will I go with halogens, from here on in all vehicles will get modded to HID's!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 PM
erm

I agree...once you go with a set of HID's you won't ever want to go back to halogens.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Dark Pearl Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Tpellus is on a distinguished road

What HID's do you guys recommend? How much does replacing the headlights and fog lights run? I want to change mine but I do not want to have to change out my entire headlight. Just wondering if you are able to just plug in new bulbs and that is it?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

i am working on a post with bulb #'s for all rams but the easiest upgrade that doesnt blind oncoming traffic is to modify high beam bulbs to fit low beam sockets. i did my 4th gen a while back and it made a night/day difference. all u have to do is remove the tabs off the high beam bulb and its plug and play. all low beam bulbs have a similiar high beam counterpart that doesnt have a painted tip and usually has a little higher wattage. my 4th gen has an h11 low beam and now it has h9 bulbs that give me far more light output reliably.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpellus View Post
What HID's do you guys recommend? How much does replacing the headlights and fog lights run? I want to change mine but I do not want to have to change out my entire headlight. Just wondering if you are able to just plug in new bulbs and that is it?

You do not have to replace the headlight assembly to install HIDs into your truck. I paid CDN$130.00 for my HID kit (no fogs.)
There are several brands to choose from...lots of information on this site from other members as to the pros and cons of kits. One that has received a lot of attention is a kit from DDM Tuning. I was very close to purchasing from them, but I went elsewhere after reading what others here had to say about them.

Do your research so you won't be disappointed later.

As for blinding on-coming traffic: I've had my lights in for just under 2 months and I have yet to be high-beamed. FYI: I did aim the driver's light down a bit so it met up with the passenger light.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I agree...once you go with a set of HID's you won't ever want to go back to halogens.
Amen to that.
This is my second truck and my second set of HIDs.
The stock lights in my Dodge Ram were horrible. The light was so bad at times I didn't feel the headlights were on. If it weren't for the fogs (after-market halogens) I wouldn't have had any light on the road. It was terrible.

I was very reluctant to switch over to HIDs in my Dodge because of all the problems members were/are having.

Now, I have had some issues (though minor) with light flicker and bulb-out. No EVIC warnings though, and the TPMS light doesn't seem to be coming on anymore. I've only had a misfire twice in the time the lights have been in.

Another member here told me it is not un-common for a ballast to miss-fire. And I can't say for sure if I am still getting flicker on ignite. I know I was getting flicker before I disabled the "Flash lights with unlock". That is also when I had my first bulb-out occur.