DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:42
carterruss is on a distinguished road
Default head light and tail light tinting

So as I look at modding my lighting setup, I want to stick with the stock headlight style, going to get black housing ones and then tint them. As for the tail lights, I wanted to go with the smoked LEDs but I think I might stay with the stock style and tint them and replace the bulbs with LEDs.

My question is how should I tint. As in prep, coating and clear coating and sanding.

I never really sand stuff so I want to make sure I do this right so it looks good and lasts.

Mods: Dual Exhaust, Volant CAI, Dual 10" Subs, Alpine HU, MA Audio Amp, Front Lifted 3/4", American Flag Rear Window
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few here that have done their own tinting (tails), and most of them have used a product called 'Night Shades'. I had mine done professionally by flipscustomtails in Massachusetts. Cost me just over $100 + shipping, and the product is amazing.

If you pint the inside of the headlights black, you may not need tint to get the tinted look, so would recommend doing the internal work first, then tint them after if you still need/want a darker look.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 11-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:11
riggz is on a distinguished road

Not sure why you would want to tint the headlights and decrease the light output of the already horrible headlights, but hey to each their own. You might want to look at getting a set of projectors installed. I am about to do this to my headlights.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Well I plan on getting HIDs to combo this mod, and I was unsure of adding projectors in combo with the HIDs (ie is there a benefit?)

these were the lamps I was looking at

depending how they looked on the truck I was going to go a shade darker.

As for the Tail Lights, I do live in Mass so that is extremely helpful. Wonder what he uses to tint them?

Mods: Dual Exhaust, Volant CAI, Dual 10" Subs, Alpine HU, MA Audio Amp, Front Lifted 3/4", American Flag Rear Window
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

First off dont tint your headlights even if you have hid's it wont have any kind of lightout put /if you paint the inside black it will make them look tinted

And do a search on here we all have posted how to tint the tails mine came out like glass are dark as crap but yet when i hit the brakes you would not know they were tinted

Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 PM

dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterruss View Post
Well I plan on getting HIDs to combo this mod, and I was unsure of adding projectors in combo with the HIDs (ie is there a benefit?)

these were the lamps I was looking at

depending how they looked on the truck I was going to go a shade darker.

As for the Tail Lights, I do live in Mass so that is extremely helpful. Wonder what he uses to tint them?
Yes by all means get projectors if you just put hid's in there it will not really give you the full benifet of the hid bulb
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM

I was looking for projectors but not sure where to look, everything I see is headlights with them already in. Now I would look into getting the projector lamps but it looks like most would be tough to mod the lights (I want to upgrade o 10,000k)

And I think your tail lights look good, I want to do that, leaving the reverse clear.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:13 PM

check here

http://*************/