DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 98 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Long Bed
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: White/Gray
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
marshall0792 is on a distinguished road
Default Vibration while driving and clunking on turns

Well my truck has 273,000 miles on her and my weekly fluid checks found the the tranny fluid turn brown, but still clear, and the transmission started slipping every now and then. so i took my truck to the nearest jiffylube because she was due for an oil change anyways and asked them to change the tranny fluid aswell. but after seeing the miles on the truck they quickly told me No Way! and they started ranting on about how new fluid could harm the transmission. So at that point i thought maybe its about time to get the transmission serviced.

So i found this shop that does good work and after talking to the guy for an hour i committed to letting them work on my truck and i left them the keys. a couple hours passed and the guy called me and asked if i could stop by so i did. When i showed up, he took the pan off the trans and showed me that there was a lot of metal shavings in the pan, more than usual and the magnet was completely covered in shavings. So the guy recommended that i have the trans overhauled than serviced. Knowing the amount of miles on the truck i knew that the tranny would need to be rebuilt anyways so i agreed and gave him the okay.

Four days and $2500 later i got my truck back with a freshly rebuilt trans. On my drive home, the transmission shifted like a dream, but on turns at low speed there is this clunk that i can hear and feel in the floor. after i happening a couple more times, i stopped and took a look under the truck. i grabbed the drive shaft and gave it a good shake and i noticed the the mount on the cross member that the transmission sits on has more movement than it did before the service so im thinking that might be the problem, but im not positive.

Today going to and from work on the highway there was this vibration that i could feel in the whole truck, even the steering wheel, i was thinking it might be the u-joints for the drive shaft, but when i check them by trying to turn the drive shaft by hand i dont notice any play in them. So i might be checking them wrong, also the transmission guy did mention something about the u-joints being old and stiff but i dont think he did anything about them.

I apologize for having such a long post, but im trying to be a thorough as possible. The transmission guy wants me to come back in a week so he can check the work, so ill bring up these issues than and see what he says, but any feedback from this forum is greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Can You say all of that again?

Seriously...The truck should be in neutral on level ground, or jacked up in neutral to properly check the u-joints. This way you're relieving any tension on them. Then you can do the up-n-down, side-to-side and check for any free play.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Alright, turns out it the U-joints are bad, i pick new ones up, but there too big, than i remember that the guy at the autoparts place had 99 model year typed into his computer, my truck is a 98 so i'm going back right now to get the right parts.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update: I got the right parts and i replaced both u-joints on the drive shaft. I took her for a test drive up and down the highway (20 mile round trip) and there was no more vibration.

Also condition of the old u-joints weren't as bad as some i've changed. all the niddle bearings were intact and the caps were not damaged, however the grease inside the caps turn to oil so the caps kept moving around causing excess play duss leading to vibration.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Were they cool when you removed them? Even with the needle bearings intact, once they warm up they'll get a lot of movement.

Glad it worked out for ya.