DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 191 32.48%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 285 48.47%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 112 19.05%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn quad cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:112
Jixer will become famous soon enoughJixer will become famous soon enough

Mine is in as I type. I miss not seeing her in the garage when I go out for a smoke and admire my baby!! Will get it back tomorrow by 11 am. My truck has 1800 miles on it and I only hear it in the tow/haul mode, especially when pulling a small load (snowmobile trailer and two sleds)

Here is a point of interest: When I took it in and had the SM take a ride with me, he heard it and said it was the TC. Now the interesting part: He said they were also going to replace the pump on the front of the TC? Never heard of such a thing, so you guys and gals may want to inquire about the pump as well. He also said it needed two "flashes" one for the o2 sensor and couldn't tell me off hand what the other one was. Will update this tomorrow after I receive my truck with more info gathered from the SM.

K&N series 63 CAI - 22" Magnaflow muffler - MyGiG Lockpick V.4 - Rhino spray in bedliner - Truxedo LoPro tonneau cover - front and rear view cameras - side steps - tow hooks - skid plates - slush mats
Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixer View Post
Mine is in as I type. I miss not seeing her in the garage when I go out for a smoke and admire my baby!! Will get it back tomorrow by 11 am. My truck has 1800 miles on it and I only hear it in the tow/haul mode, especially when pulling a small load (snowmobile trailer and two sleds)

Here is a point of interest: When I took it in and had the SM take a ride with me, he heard it and said it was the TC. Now the interesting part: He said they were also going to replace the pump on the front of the TC? Never heard of such a thing, so you guys and gals may want to inquire about the pump as well. He also said it needed two "flashes" one for the o2 sensor and couldn't tell me off hand what the other one was. Will update this tomorrow after I receive my truck with more info gathered from the SM.
Boy, this SM must have ESP or something! He can tell that your pump is bad by just riding in the truck with you? Sorry, but I don't think I'd buy that. A bad pump will typically cause line pressure issues, but you noted no fault codes (like P0868 Line Pressure Low) and never said that he checked the line pressure readings with a scan tool. I don't understand how he could think your pump was "bad" without checking these things.

It's probably too late now, but I would avoid having your pump replaced unless there is a definite problem. The converter noise issue is NOT a pump problem!! It is caused by excessive backlash in the turbine hub spline (inside the converter). It has nothing to do with the pump!

It is very easy (when replacing the pump by itself) to allow the input clutch thrust bearings (which are inside the next big "chunk" of parts behind the pump) to fall out of position. If this happens, you will have a complete transmission failure, generally 300-600 miles after the pump replacement. Unfortunately, this is one of the most common misrepairs we see in these transmissions.

So for the rest of you (with the converter noise), I'd recommend that you replace only the converter, unless there is an obvious issue with the pump. Replacing the pump "just to be safe" is actually a LOT riskier than just leaving it alone.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
gp2011ram is on a distinguished road

Got mine back yesterday. Had a good long ride today and the noise is gone. I still have a vibration at low rpm with the MDS on though. I was hoping it would cure both the problems. Happy about the noise though and the dealership was great. No problem getting them to do this and they have done several already.
Now on to the vibration.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Boy, this SM must have ESP or something! He can tell that your pump is bad by just riding in the truck with you? Sorry, but I don't think I'd buy that. A bad pump will typically cause line pressure issues, but you noted no fault codes (like P0868 Line Pressure Low) and never said that he checked the line pressure readings with a scan tool. I don't understand how he could think your pump was "bad" without checking these things.

It's probably too late now, but I would avoid having your pump replaced unless there is a definite problem. The converter noise issue is NOT a pump problem!! It is caused by excessive backlash in the turbine hub spline (inside the converter). It has nothing to do with the pump!

It is very easy (when replacing the pump by itself) to allow the input clutch thrust bearings (which are inside the next big "chunk" of parts behind the pump) to fall out of position. If this happens, you will have a complete transmission failure, generally 300-600 miles after the pump replacement. Unfortunately, this is one of the most common misrepairs we see in these transmissions.

So for the rest of you (with the converter noise), I'd recommend that you replace only the converter, unless there is an obvious issue with the pump. Replacing the pump "just to be safe" is actually a LOT riskier than just leaving it alone.
Thanks for the info, Trans, but it IS too late. I am waiting for a call now to go and pick it up. Not being a mechanic, I didn't even know about the pump there. As far as ESP, I think he was just replacing the pump just to be safe, like you stated. I guess time and 300-600 miles will tell. Just glad it is under warranty for another 4.5 yrs and 98,000 miles!!

K&N series 63 CAI - 22" Magnaflow muffler - MyGiG Lockpick V.4 - Rhino spray in bedliner - Truxedo LoPro tonneau cover - front and rear view cameras - side steps - tow hooks - skid plates - slush mats
Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver Mettalic
Rep:162
mineralram has a spectacular aura aboutmineralram has a spectacular aura about

Well when i had my torque convertor replaced 2 weeks ago my pump was removed and checked for debris as per the Chrysler tech Hotline, They told my dealership that they have had a few people with this noise that had there torque convertors replaced and then a couple weeks later come back with tranny problems and they found that there was debris inside the pump from the previous torque convertor. My dealership was given specific instructions to remove the pump inspect the pistons and check for debris if all was good do not replace if it was dirty then replace it.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Well, I got my truck back and the reason they installed a new pump is that was what the suggestion of the star report stated. The two flashes it need were unrelated to the tranny. One was for a service light for the 4x4, and the other was an ignition issue with along with the remote transmitter.

The noise is gone, but I haven't had a chance to drive it hard to see if the shift points are any better. I didn't have a problem with them before, nor did I have any vibrations in the wheel or pedals. My only issue was the noise at about 1400 rpms and up to maybe 1600 rpms in the tow/haul mode with lesser noise at those same rpms with the tow/haul mode off.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: Saddle Brown
dpeterso is on a distinguished road

It looks like I have the torque converter issue. I get a vibration coming from the Drive train around 40-50 mph. Really noticeable when you let off the gas and feather the throttle at those speeds. I've got an appointment at Lasher Elk Grove tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that don't try to feed me a line of crap like that's normal. It's definitely worse since I've put some miles on it.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport; Fully Loaded
SCRAM is on a distinguished road

Update i had mine fixed last wed droped it off picked it up less than 24 hrs later it was fixed. Noise gone everything is good.I was hearing mine(Growl/howl and grinding from 40mph to 53.This problem was not due to doggin the truck i drive that thing like a baby. They know about this problem took the tech for a test drive he heard it and that was it i also took this to help he even asked for a copy so it would be easier for him to explain to chrysler

Star Case: S1121000005

Release Date: 6/30/11

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Customer indicates that the vehicle has a slight moan, drone, or rattle noise and sounds as though it is coming from the exhaust, The customer may indicate that the noise occurs under light load (1400 - 1700 engine rpm - around 40 to 60 mph)

Diagnosis:
Confirm that the noise only occurs while the torque converter is in lock-up at low speeds (around 1400 - 1700 engine RPM) at approximately 45 mph. If the noise is heard while transmission is in partial lock-up at 1400 - 1700 RPM, put the vehicle into ERS - Tow/Haul mode (deactivates MDS and torque converter in full lock-up) If the noise is unchanged, perform the following repair procedure. If the noise goes away in ERS mode, further diagnosis is required. If the noise occurs above 1700 RPM or below 1400 RPM, further diagnosis is required.

Parts Required:
AR (1) RL051167AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 - 2011 2WD DS R/T Only)

AR (1) RL051146AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 4.7L WK/WH/W2/XK/XH,
2009 5.7L DS/DC/DH/D1/HB/HG/WK/WH/W2/XK
2010 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/DX/WK/WH/XK/XH
2011 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/D2 Only)

AR (1) RL0512241AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2008 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DR/WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 4.7L 4WD WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 5.7L 2WD/4WD DR/HB/HG/WK/WH/XK/XH
2009 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DS
2010 4.7L 2WD ND/DS/DX
2011 4.7L 2WD DS/DX/ND
2011 5.7L 2WD/4WD WD/WK/W2 Only)

Repair Procedure:
Replace the torque converter.
Follow the procedures identified in the service manual

For those that want to know what the actual noise is in the torque converter:

The noise is caused by excessive lash between the turbine hub and turbine damper spline inside the converter. There is a small amount of tolerance on the spline teeth (for both parts), so the lash will vary from converter to converter. Many will have a small amount of lash, and therefore no noise. Others will have slightly more lash, and therefore will exhibit the noise. The noise is not a durability concern, but it is an annoyance for those who notice it. The replacement converters have a tighter turbine hub spline (which is actually an interference fit in some cases) which eliminates the noise.
As for issues in the long run....
if the torque converter is left running loose internally, it will eventually wear even worse, then pretty much self destruct.You`ll end up with a bunch of metal from the TC running thru the entire transmission, it will destroy the trans eventually. What will most likely happen, the TC wont go into lock up anymore, if it does, it will just be VERY noisey an go back out.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport; Fully Loaded
SCRAM is on a distinguished road

This is not my star report it is one i found on the net!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAM View Post
Update i had mine fixed last wed droped it off picked it up less than 24 hrs later it was fixed. Noise gone everything is good.I was hearing mine(Growl/howl and grinding from 40mph to 53.This problem was not due to doggin the truck i drive that thing like a baby. They know about this problem took the tech for a test drive he heard it and that was it i also took this to help he even asked for a copy so it would be easier for him to explain to chrysler

Star Case: S1121000005

Release Date: 6/30/11

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Customer indicates that the vehicle has a slight moan, drone, or rattle noise and sounds as though it is coming from the exhaust, The customer may indicate that the noise occurs under light load (1400 - 1700 engine rpm - around 40 to 60 mph)

Diagnosis:
Confirm that the noise only occurs while the torque converter is in lock-up at low speeds (around 1400 - 1700 engine RPM) at approximately 45 mph. If the noise is heard while transmission is in partial lock-up at 1400 - 1700 RPM, put the vehicle into ERS - Tow/Haul mode (deactivates MDS and torque converter in full lock-up) If the noise is unchanged, perform the following repair procedure. If the noise goes away in ERS mode, further diagnosis is required. If the noise occurs above 1700 RPM or below 1400 RPM, further diagnosis is required.

Parts Required:
AR (1) RL051167AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 - 2011 2WD DS R/T Only)

AR (1) RL051146AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 4.7L WK/WH/W2/XK/XH,
2009 5.7L DS/DC/DH/D1/HB/HG/WK/WH/W2/XK
2010 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/DX/WK/WH/XK/XH
2011 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/D2 Only)

AR (1) RL0512241AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2008 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DR/WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 4.7L 4WD WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 5.7L 2WD/4WD DR/HB/HG/WK/WH/XK/XH
2009 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DS
2010 4.7L 2WD ND/DS/DX
2011 4.7L 2WD DS/DX/ND
2011 5.7L 2WD/4WD WD/WK/W2 Only)

Repair Procedure:
Replace the torque converter.
Follow the procedures identified in the service manual

For those that want to know what the actual noise is in the torque converter:

The noise is caused by excessive lash between the turbine hub and turbine damper spline inside the converter. There is a small amount of tolerance on the spline teeth (for both parts), so the lash will vary from converter to converter. Many will have a small amount of lash, and therefore no noise. Others will have slightly more lash, and therefore will exhibit the noise. The noise is not a durability concern, but it is an annoyance for those who notice it. The replacement converters have a tighter turbine hub spline (which is actually an interference fit in some cases) which eliminates the noise.
As for issues in the long run....
if the torque converter is left running loose internally, it will eventually wear even worse, then pretty much self destruct.You`ll end up with a bunch of metal from the TC running thru the entire transmission, it will destroy the trans eventually. What will most likely happen, the TC wont go into lock up anymore, if it does, it will just be VERY noisey an go back out.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Isn't that great? A component of your transmission, designed, engineered and manufactured to self destruct.

After a year of owning my Ram, I'm still asking myself why I bought one of these things. Must be because I'm loosing my ability to do proper research?