DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 191 32.43%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 286 48.56%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 112 19.02%
Voters: 589. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport; Fully Loaded
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
SCRAM is on a distinguished road

i liked the inteior the best that was the seller for me this has been the only mishap. Everything else is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthunder View Post
Isn't that great? A component of your transmission, designed, engineered and manufactured to self destruct.

After a year of owning my Ram, I'm still asking myself why I bought one of these things. Must be because I'm loosing my ability to do proper research?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 2500 Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:18
Dave532 is on a distinguished road

I brought my 2011 2500 ST (3800 miles) in to the dealer for (first free) an oil change, squeaky seat and what I described as an exhaust rattle in 4th gear between 1500 and 2000 RPM.
I was aware of the Starz case but I feigned ignorance to gauge how they would react to the noise.
After a test drive, they initiated the Starz case discussion with me and ordered a new torque converter the same day. I was impressed.

I noticed the noise around 3000 miles but it was very subdued and there was no associated vibration.

Since new, my truck is daily driven, has towed 3 cars less than 500 miles total. Build month is June.

-Dave532
Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 in between truck GM 1500
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab 4X4
Color: Inferno Red
johnnymopar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave450 View Post
Just picked up a 2012 CC Sport. had 4km on the clock when i got it. The truck was even built in November so its very new. I am getting a noise when the truck is in full lock up around 40mph. I really notice it when letting off the gas coming to a stop? It's more of a whirring noise and is not "grinding". Took to the dealer the day after I got it and he said they had one doing the same thing and was TC. If my truck was built this month, that would tell me they haven't done anything to fix this problem.
That is not good, the 2012's I thought are built with the revised TQ. Hope mine is OK, it should be built in December. I have not heard of any other 2012's with this issue.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthunder View Post
Isn't that great? A component of your transmission, designed, engineered and manufactured to self destruct.

After a year of owning my Ram, I'm still asking myself why I bought one of these things. Must be because I'm loosing my ability to do proper research?
No, we don't design our transmissions to self-destruct. These converters do not generate debris, and they don't destroy the transmission pump (or other internals).

The turbine hub spline teeth will brinell in over time, which will cause the backlash to increase slightly (and the noise to get worse), but this does not mean the parts will eventually wear out or fail. The spline teeth are not all perfectly sized and spaced, so under torque some teeth will come into contact first while others remain unloaded. The "high" teeth (that come into contact first) will eventually get peened down (due to the contact stress). This spreads the load onto more and more teeth (as the "high" teeth brinell), which reduces the load on each tooth (the total torque is spread over a greater number of teeth). Eventually, you reach a point where the contact stress is low enough that no further brinelling occurs.

The tooth brinelling does not generate any significant debris, although it will increase the backlash (and worsen the noise) to some extent. But don't think that a noisy converter is doomed to premature failure, or that it's generating lots of debris that is destroying your transmission. That is simply not the case.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

TransEngineer:

Can you tell me, is it considered normal when my MDS (or ECO) kicks in to feel it kick in and also to hear it? Many times, when my ECO light comes on, I feel a "thud" followed by a very low drone sound. Feels like the truck has shifted into 8th gear (I know there's no 8th gear!)
And acceleration is hindered when I step on the gas (hard).

The other day I had the death shake. Felt like I had flat tires. The truck felt like it was shaking violently (hopefully it didn't look that way to onlookers). I felt the shake deep in my chest, it was that bad. Pulled over to check the tires. All was fine.

I had an issue the other day where the Emergency Park Brake was engaged to the FIRST click. Would this cause the ABS to interact with the braking system? Could that cause the violent shake?

Any help would be appreciated.

Weird but on my way into work this morning the vibration in my steering wheel wasn't that bad. There's some vibration but at least it doesn't feel like I have a worn tie-rod or ball-joint.
Is vibration in the steering wheel one of the side-affects of the T/C issue?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: Saddle Brown
dpeterso is on a distinguished road

So I took my truck in on Saturday due to the vibration I was getting around 45-50 mph. The tech explained to me that this is due to low RPM's in lockup and MDS. He flashed the truck with the latest updates and it does shift better from 1st to 2nd. It also holds on to 3rd longer during acceleration. Over all shifting is better but I do still feel the vibration around 45-50. The star case mentions to put the truck into tow/haul mode. When I do that the truck is as smooth as silk. Out of Tow haul it's rough around those low speeds. I'm wondering if it's just MDS that causes the vibration at the low speeds?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

One other thing:

The vibration in the steering wheel is present as soon as I accelerate. I wouldn't suspect an out-of-balance wheel to do that.
Along with the vibration while driving, yesterday I could feel the vibration from the engine as I idled at a light.
I'm still wondering if I don't have the T/C problem.

I'd sure like to know where the death wobble came from the other week when I was driving. Scared the *(&*&#*$A# out of me!

So just to reiterate: The vibration I'm experiencing is there as soon as I accelerate. The vibration is not more or less pronounced at higher RPMs or speed.

Now I'm wondering if I have a bad wheel bearing??!!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Tow/Haul mode disables MDS, so things smooth out in Tow/Haul because MDS is no longer active.

I am not an MDS expert, but I imagine what you guys are feeling (when you tip into the throttle in MDS mode) is engine torsional vibrations. The engine will be running rougher already (due to only being on 4 cylinders). Torsional vibrations (which are actually the torque pulsations from the individual cylinders firing) increase as torque increases, and also increase as engine speed decreases. So opening the throttle (calling for more torque), at low engine speed, in 4-cylinder mode, probably gives you the overall worst case for torsionals. These feel like a drone or shudder.

About all I can say is, the point of MDS is to maximize fuel economy. You have to trade off some smoothness / refinement in order to boost economy.

Blackpearl, I don't know what your death wobble would have been. I'm not a brake expert either, although your thoughts about ABS seem reasonable to me. Maybe something caused your traction control / ESC to pulse one or more of your brakes. I would have your dealer check for any faults, to see if maybe there are codes set that might give you a clue.

By the way, the converter noise issue is typically just a noise, not a vibration problem (at least in vehicles I have driven).
Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Color: Bright Silver Mettalic
Rep:162
mineralram has a spectacular aura aboutmineralram has a spectacular aura about

I do not want to start a war on here but i spoke with my dealer on the weekend when i had some service done and since they did my truck they have also done 2 more 2011 trucks and just finished a 2012 that was presenting the same noise the tranny tech changed the converter on it and it went away on it also. so im wondering if something may have been over looked on these converters
Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
No, we don't design our transmissions to self-destruct. These converters do not generate debris, and they don't destroy the transmission pump (or other internals).

The turbine hub spline teeth will brinell in over time, which will cause the backlash to increase slightly (and the noise to get worse), but this does not mean the parts will eventually wear out or fail. The spline teeth are not all perfectly sized and spaced, so under torque some teeth will come into contact first while others remain unloaded. The "high" teeth (that come into contact first) will eventually get peened down (due to the contact stress). This spreads the load onto more and more teeth (as the "high" teeth brinell), which reduces the load on each tooth (the total torque is spread over a greater number of teeth). Eventually, you reach a point where the contact stress is low enough that no further brinelling occurs.

The tooth brinelling does not generate any significant debris, although it will increase the backlash (and worsen the noise) to some extent. But don't think that a noisy converter is doomed to premature failure, or that it's generating lots of debris that is destroying your transmission. That is simply not the case.
TransEngineer-

First off, many thanks to you for chiming in on this issue. Your expertise and the answering of questions are much appreciated.

I have just one more question:

I had my TC replaced back in March. So far the noise is gone to my satisfaction. Am I to expect that once the tooth brinelling is complete in the current TC in my Ram, the noise will return? Thank-you in advance.