DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:17
kineticenrage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb0 View Post
Make sure you running synthetic oil in everything and spark plugs ( E3's or Bosch plus-4 ) A 180º thermostat.
how does that give you better hp and tq?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineticenrage View Post
how does that give you better hp and tq?
The slicky lube juice and hot hot spark gives you mow POWA!!! I have no funny comment about the thermostat though. Sorry.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:40 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

Well actually it allows for less HP and TQ Losses through the friction of engine components and helps reduce the drag/friction in your REAR ................................
Old 07-01-2009, 05:06 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram
Color: Black
Rep:17
kineticenrage is on a distinguished road

ahh okay. makes sense lol
Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
wanna08 is on a distinguished road

I just joined myself and as you and I are in the same boat, I have an 04, I thought I would tell you what I 'v learned. The predator is suppose to be sweet for most vehicles. However, it does not provide full support for 03 and 04 rams. There is a discussion board that is almost 50 pages long over at dodge talk under "Official Diablo Problem Reporting" And they are getting the same issues brought up on there own personal forum at Diablo. Also, there are alot of people having serious problems with there tranny's (from whats been posted).
Old 07-01-2009, 07:15 PM

johnnyk416 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to johnnyk416

Quote:
Make sure you running synthetic oil in everything and spark plugs ( E3's or Bosch plus-4 ) A 180º thermostat.
The E3 spark plugs and the Bosch+4's are a big waste of money in the Hemi, you will see absolutly no gain in performance. As for the exhaust system choosen flowmasters are one of the worst for performance. They flow horrible but sound good, if ya want free flowing exhaust should have gotten a magnaflow, dynomax or a cherrybomb vortex.

As far as tuners a SC or Diablo will increase both HP and TQ, but the Diablo has been known to wreak havoc with the Rams trannies. Just an FYI do some research on it just so you are well informed of all the possible issues.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad/ SB / 4x4
Color: Flame red
Rep:57
jamesb0 will become famous soon enough

The spark plugs will not make the truck jump off the line but they do help burn the fuel faster and efficiently, so you might get 1 more mile to the gallon. Lowing the temperature by 15º helps from loosing HP. A little here a little there and before you know it You are going longer between pumps.
Lets say you improve by 5 mpg. 30 x 5 = 150 more miles to a tank.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 PM

johnnyk416 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to johnnyk416

Quote:
The spark plugs will not make the truck jump off the line but they do help burn the fuel faster and efficiently, so you might get 1 more mile to the gallon. Lowing the temperature by 15º helps from loosing HP. A little here a little there and before you know it You are going longer between pumps.
Lets say you improve by 5 mpg. 30 x 5 = 150 more miles to a tank.
The hemi is already efficient at burning the air fuel mixture those plugs will do nothing for fuel mileage.

As far as improving the mileage up to 5 MPG........ well that there is just to funny never will happen.

Putting in a lower thermostat doesn't improve fuel mileage at all if anything it hurts it. The computer dumps more fuel at a lower temp, thats why people do it to richen the mixture alittle on an already to lean motor.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

well, to put it a little less bluntly and a bit of an explanation:

plugs and wires do not boost HP, a common misconception, they allow for a more efficient passage of the current from the coil pack (HEMIs) which will put less static strain on the coil, plug, and wire. It increases the life of plugs and the Iridiums, E3s, etc. simply have a hotter (more intense) spark than stock which in conjunction with low-resistance wires and higher efficiency coils means a hotter more efficient burn in the end of the plug (not the cylinder) = less carbon coating and replacement. your Q input wont affect the cylinder's efficiency as the ingnition temperature is based on the fuel/air ratio and as long as you have that then everything else is extra. if there is any boost in HP it's negligable but if you had dirty plugs and switched them out you'd notice a gain.

the synthetic lubes are a must as they don't break down as fast as naturally produced does and just outright work better at keeping everything coated and reduces heat generation. The only thing you have to look at is what weight and vis you need based on your environment (-40 deg is not happy for trucks i've found)

Other mods that are musts are the intake and exhaust. do the research on the exhausts first, as the flowmaster uses an internal baffle system which sounds great but really axes the flow. Also, if you have the MDS then you can start sounding like a honda civic when you switch to 4cyl if you don't have the right muffler. the only one i would add to the list above is Borla: well tuned but expensive.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:10 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Rep:656
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

..check the exhaust Y pipe (if your still runnin stock to your muffler)..I know in my 05 it was pinched (as all the other stock setups)...once changed, i could feel my acceleration was much smoother..