DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 1500 Qc 2wd
Trim Level: SLT Quad LoneStar
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
f6boomer is on a distinguished road

You don't mention what axle ratio you have, but if you want more power to pull a trailer, that might be the place to look first. Especially if you have increased the size of your tires already. JMHO
Old 12-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Ram SLT, 4wd swb
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:27
HemiEd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
no worries lol...

With a good intake and exhaust, and the tuner, the 4.7L is right there with the first gen hemi.

You mean this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st gen Hemi.jpg (61.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
You mean this one?
LOL, I was referring to the "new" hemi engines. The new hemi's were really called that for marketing, and it did well. They are not truly a hemi...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
LOL, I was referring to the "new" hemi engines. The new hemi's were really called that for marketing, and it did well. They are not truly a hemi...
I knew what you meant, was just trying to be funny.

I have an MDS Hemi in my Challenger and love the heck out of it.

Pretty excited about the potential of this 4.7. I am thinking about ordering 2008 camshafts from Ma Mopar, but am going to do some more reading first.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I know, I said "LOL" see^^^

I think the heads are different in 2008 so the cams won't work, but I'm not positive. Realistically, it would probably be more cost effective to swap the newer 4.7L complete with ecm into the truck, then modify it from there, if you are wanting to drastically increase output. The older 4.7L is a good engine, but wasn't a big hp producer. There are many differences between it and the new motor. They are similar motors, but they change a lot just enough to make it hard to "upgrade" to the new engine. Basically it's the same platform, but they changed all the parts enough that you can't swap them back and forth lol.

I think these are the main upgrades to the newer engine:

Crank girdle instead of individual main caps, I think some of the rotating assembly is a different/lighter/stronger material(rods/pistons), cylinder heads are different, different ports and combustion chambers, not sure if valves changed, but they changed to two plugs per cylinder as well(new heads supposedly flow much better), different cams, intake and exhaust manifolds changed, TB made larger and now is fly by wire, entire exhaust was upgraded I believe (bigger diameter)....my dads 05 is much smaller than my 2010, different tuning, hybrid electric/mech cooling fans supposedly lessens the drag from the mech fan = more hp freed up...

The guy at airram built his 4.7L up a lot(intake,exhaust,tune,heads,cams,etc...) and I don't think he even reached 300 rwhp. I should be close to 300 rwhp with just tuner, intake, exhaust with the newer 4.7L.

I'm not trying to discourage you away from the older 4.7L just trying to give some info...

Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I know, I said "LOL" see^^^

I think the heads are different in 2008 so the cams won't work, but I'm not positive. Realistically, it would probably be more cost effective to swap the newer 4.7L complete with ecm into the truck, then modify it from there, if you are wanting to drastically increase output. The older 4.7L is a good engine, but wasn't a big hp producer. There are many differences between it and the new motor. They are similar motors, but they change a lot just enough to make it hard to "upgrade" to the new engine. Basically it's the same platform, but they changed all the parts enough that you can't swap them back and forth lol.

I think these are the main upgrades to the newer engine:

Crank girdle instead of individual main caps, I think some of the rotating assembly is a different/lighter/stronger material(rods/pistons), cylinder heads are different, different ports and combustion chambers, not sure if valves changed, but they changed to two plugs per cylinder as well(new heads supposedly flow much better), different cams, intake and exhaust manifolds changed, TB made larger and now is fly by wire, entire exhaust was upgraded I believe (bigger diameter)....my dads 05 is much smaller than my 2010, different tuning, hybrid electric/mech cooling fans supposedly lessens the drag from the mech fan = more hp freed up...

The guy at airram built his 4.7L up a lot(intake,exhaust,tune,heads,cams,etc...) and I don't think he even reached 300 rwhp. I should be close to 300 rwhp with just tuner, intake, exhaust with the newer 4.7L.

I'm not trying to discourage you away from the older 4.7L just trying to give some info...
Thanks a lot Sean, that is some great information. I wasn't aware of most of that. I was suspecting the dual plug heads reading another thread on here.
My 4.7 only has 29k on it now, so I don't want to do too much.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM

No problem. I wonder if you could swap the heads/cams/ecm/intake/exhaust? That would be a weekend job and would net a large power increase if it's all plug and play/able to bolt up. I would guess the block itself was unchanged so I bet it'd work. You'd have to make sure the wiring/sensors are compatible though....and I don't know how much all that would cost, probably not really worth it. If you were really serious about increasing hp with keeping that engine your best bet would be a affordable supercharger or turbocharger with low boost (don't run high boost on these engines, the top ring land is somewhat fragile I believe to help with emissions). If you were going to swap engines or do anything else serious you'd probably want to just go with the new 390hp hemi or even a bigger/badder engine. All depends on what you want out of it and what you are willing to put in. That guy on airram was able to run 14's in the 1/4 with his quad cab 4.7L, that's not too bad especially considering his hp numbers weren't even that crazy.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: 04 dodge ram
Rep:29
icywhite is on a distinguished road

hey someone said it but what gears are you running if its 3.55 open which a lot of 4.7s are then i would start there and would go with 4.10s or 4.56s that will help a hell of a lot
2/4 drop,h.o. cams,4.56s posi, stage 2 cai, 70mm tb, 180t, cutouts, efan, centerforce dual friction clutch,short throw shifter 24%, sct(tuned by flying ryan), high flo-Y, 3 inch exaust , jbl headers nitrous, leds and hids on all lights, oh yeah 24s just to slow me back down