DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Have you experienced the torque converter problem?

• Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed.

Votes: 191 30.5%
  • No, I have not noticed this problem.

Votes: 313 50.0%
  • I can't determine for sure if I have this problem.

Votes: 122 19.5%

Torque Converter Poll

130K views 453 replies 198 participants last post by  freezer16801 
#1 ·
If you have a 4th gen Ram (2009-present) and either have or have not had an issue with the reported grinding noise, please vote in the poll. My intent is to see how widespread this issue is among forum members.

As for me, I can tell for sure because my Magnaflow cat back exhaust upgrade is the dominant noise I hear (when my radio is not blaring). So I am having a hard time determining if I have this issue.

#182 ·
I will be listening out for this, I dont think Ive heard it yet, i just got my tires repalced after 5 trips there and they sent me to a goodyear certified dealer and they call goodyear, goodyear said they were aware of the problems with those tires and has a bulletin on them to replace them

#183 ·
To the OP: Excellent job for starting this thread. The number of problem trucks are growing pretty steady. I wonder how many would be added to the problem graph if they knew of and followed this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the non-problem truck graph grow way past the other result because I don't wish this issue on anyone who spends their hard earned money on a vehicle. This issue ruined my "new-truck" experience and I hate to hear of other owner's that have been dealt the same fate.

I hope Chrysler, LLC is monitoring this thread.

#188 ·
Thanks Blackthunder. To be honest, I had no idea the problem would be this widespread. When I started this thread there were only a couple of folks talking about the TC. I am just thankful we have this forum and so many great members who are willing to share their experience. I wonder how many would not even be aware of the issue if were not for reading about what others are seeing.

Unfortunately, I still can't tell if I have a problem with mine. The drone from my Magnaflow cat back has reached a point that I can't hear the TC. Of course, I love the sound I hear when I stomp on that giggle stick! My truck is due for its first service so I will take my dealer a copy of the star case and discuss it with them. Will post my findings. Until then, thanks to everyone who has put in their two cents. Your contributions are what makes the Z such a great place for information about our trucks.

#184 ·
stangd1909 here are the part numbers, depends on your truck:

Parts Required:
AR (1) RL051167AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 - 2011 2WD DS R/T Only)

AR (1) RL051146AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 4.7L WK/WH/W2/XK/XH,
2009 5.7L DS/DC/DH/D1/HB/HG/WK/WH/W2/XK
2010 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/DX/WK/WH/XK/XH
2011 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/D2 Only)

AR (1) RL0512241AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2008 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DR/WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 4.7L 4WD WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 5.7L 2WD/4WD DR/HB/HG/WK/WH/XK/XH
2009 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DS
2010 4.7L 2WD ND/DS/DX
2011 4.7L 2WD DS/DX/ND
2011 5.7L 2WD/4WD WD/WK/W2 Only)

The dealer can also look this up with your vin number. The above came from the star case posted earlier in this thread. I had my dealer confirm the number both with the vin and against the star case number. They told me all the incorrect ones should have been recalled, once they supercede then the dealers have 14 days to return them or they don't get paid.

#191 ·
With those of you who had a torque converter replaced, did you here or feel any vibrations when in Tow/Haul mode? I'm not sure If I have the issue or not. I get a growling noise and some vibration around 50mph when MDS kicks in. If I put it in tow/haul it's smooth and no vibration. I'm not sure if it's the engine lugging at the low RPM's in full lockup with MDS or if it's a TC issue. I'm about ready to go down and test drive a 2012 to see if there's a difference.

#194 ·
Tow/Haul or normal mode should not make a difference. The TCC will go into full lockup in either case. So if you have the converter warble, you should hear it in Tow/Haul as well as normal driving.

[ Note that this assumes your TCC stays in full lockup when you enter Tow/Haul mode. Since the Tow/Haul shift patterns are different, you may have a situation where the TCC will unlock (or go to partial lock) when you enter Tow/Haul. But if you go into full lockup while in Tow/Haul mode, you should get the same noise. ]

MDS is another story. MDS mode disables full lockup; it only allows partial lock. So you should NOT hear the noise in MDS mode. If you hear a noise in MDS, it's not the converter rattle.

Also, note that ERS mode disables MDS (and thus, re-enables full lockup). So if you're trying to diagnose the converter noise, run at light cruise about 45-50 mph. In normal Drive mode, MDS should kick on and you should have NO noise. Then tap the ERS (-) switch to put the trans in "5" (which is normal 4th gear). At this point, the TCC should engage full lockup, so if the noise is present you should hear it.

But as I said before, this is not a durability concern, so if you only hear the noise when you go hunting for it, you don't really need to bother with getting the converter replaced.

#192 ·
Mine would continue in tow/haul mode. Many said it would get worse, mine was the same either. Sometimes it was harder to get to do it in tow/haul because it would go out of lock-up quicker, but it was definitely there.

In the end before I had mine replaced I could hear it over the radio even when I had it cranked up pretty loud. Nobody with me in the truck missed it. So it was very noticeable. It was especially bad when towing even a light load.

From my experience if it is the TC you will hear it not just feel something.

#198 ·
Ming got fixed today. The noise is gone. I am a licensed tech so I had to double check the job that was done on my baby. Everything looks good but I checked the transfer case fluid and it was about 1/2 inch below the fill hole. I want to fill it and the fluid was red, its a borgwarner transfer case that has auto mode in my 2011 sport so is the fluid atf 4. How do you know if I have the NVG246 transfer case?

#199 ·
How loud is the noise with a bad Torque converter. I hear something every once in a while but can't determine if it is the TC. The noise that I have is just slightly louder than the exhaust note and a little higher pitch and very intermittent. Thoughts?? Dealer flashed the rig at 3000 mile oil change, no noticeable change in anything after that. Why was that the magic answer???

#200 ·
Mine was bad in to haul mode around 40mph between 1200-2000 rpm light throttle. You had to listen for it but its not there now with the new converter. If the transengineer reads this can you tell me what my 2011 sport with a Borg Warner transfer case takes for fluid. Thanks

#201 ·
.... If the transengineer reads this can you tell me what my 2011 sport with a Borg Warner transfer case takes for fluid. Thanks
Check your owner's manual. The fluid specs are in there. I think the transfer cases have a round metal ID tag (generally on the rear surface somewhere) that is stamped with the model number.... not sure that is still true, but worth a try.

#202 ·
I figured out my truck has a BW44-44 transfer case and my manuals do not list this transfer case so I am still not sure if it is ATF+4 or some other special fluid.

#205 ·
Just an update, after the TC replacement I ran a couple hour drive to camp over the weekend. Yesterday I had 1400 pounds of coal in the bed twice, I used tow/haul and without tow/haul. The new TC is quiet as a mouse. I can quit listening now. No problems at all with it as of now. I am enjoying driving my new ram again without that annoying TC noise. Even cleaned it all up today and got rid of 3 weeks of hunting crud on it.

#207 ·
2012 Torque Converter?

You guys seem to be getting pretty good answers. Im going to try and see if you can help me with this one. I just bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Regular Cab with the V8 Hemi. Only had the truck for 6 weeks so far. After about 2 weeks I started noticing a noise. Kind of a warbling or flubbing sound. It only occurs between 30-35 and 40-45mph while maintaing speed. To me, it sounds like the truck is in too high of a gear. There is some pedal vibration when the noise occurs. I took it into the dealership and (despite all the comments that the 2012 do not have this problem) they replaced the torque converter. Within one day after the repair the noise was back. I really just want to get this fixed so I can enjoy this truck. Any help would be appreciated

#208 ·
BrenHD: That does sound like the TC issue still. I just had mine replaced yesterday and I have a very noticeable improvement.

I agree completely with your assessment of the problem. I was never bothered much by the noise. The real issue to me was the drive-ability. When the TC goes into lock-up mode at low speed/low throttle it really resisted disengaging. That is exactly what you describe by saying too high of a gear. That's literally what it is doing. I would have to use excess throttle to disengage the lock-up. Basically felt like I was forcing the truck to "downshift" when all I wanted was to go from 42 to 42 mph, or even just maintain speed on many occasions.

It now operates butter smooth. Seamless. Like the engineers intended.

So my key words for this problem are hesitating and stumbling. Not so much about the growling noise.

#209 ·
Thought I heard the grinding noise this weekend while cruising with the wife in the truck. Maybe because I drive slower with her in there. Anyway, I am holding off until I get resonators put back on the exhaust. Once I get the drone toned down a little, I will have a better opportunity to listen for it. It's time for my 7500-mile service anyway. Would be nice to identify if I have this issue before I take it in.

#210 · (Edited)
wow what a big thread. I have a 2009 Ram Laramie Crew had it replaced at 41,262 they also did pump and now I am at almost 45,000 and I am having vibration through the pedal like no other and I hate it unless cruise is set I hate driving it now.

I am going back in to see what is up. I am thinking replacement number 2. When I had last one done I did filters out of my own pocket and paid $250 for deductible. This time I will pay zero or I will go to another dealer. Tough position I am in is because I am second owner of a 2009 factory warranty (lifetime) is gone and second owner gets 3/36000 that is gone but I bought extended warranty through United Car Care at Dealer.

So like last time have to run through them. I love my truck but since they did repair it is just not the same. Before repair it was only rough and large shutter occurred at about 38 MPH up a hill but it was smooth and now vibration is always there so bad.

Do you guys think I can plead a case for this being covered by Dodge and not me and aftermarket warranty again since it is clearly a known issue.

Also after reading every single post I must say this sucks and to me the noise is one thing but the feeling is what really gets me.

#211 ·
wow what a big thread. I have a 2009 Ram Laramie Crew had it replaced at 41,262 they also did pump and now I am at almost 45,000 and I am having vibration through the pedal like no other and I hate it unless cruise is set I hate driving it now.

Do you guys think I can plead a case for this being covered by Dodge and not me and aftermarket warranty again since it is clearly a known issue.
My local Dodge dealership offers a 12 month 12k mile parts and labor warranty on work performed. You might get that also.

#212 ·
It is not just a noise it is a feeling and if you felt it you would know what I mean.

I took my truck in today they had it from 7am to nearly 11a and told me it was just tires out of balance. I believed them paid the rip off $50 and then headed to work only had 5 minutes to get there. (so it sat all day until I was done).

Tested it out after work and I could feel it right away but on the interstate 70mph and above it got terrible i could feel it through the pedal so bad I just felt sick that it still had not been fixed.

The feeling is almost like I can feel the fluid going through the pump with a lot of vibration and it intensifies as speeds increase.

Dropping off again tonight (early bird drop) and left VM with the advisor and I am going to leave it there for them to try again. God damn this is frustrating.

I want my smooth Ram back.

#213 ·
Mine is the same thing especially above 70mph. Please keep us posted...curious how you made out. I was about to bring mine in the shop for a tire balance on the front two tires, but I have this gut feeling it's not the balance. Truck has been this way since delivery via day one. I'd love to believe it's balancing, but the truck rides much too smooth at other speeds to be balancing. :4-dontknow:

G
#216 ·
Took mine to the dealership yesterday with the Star case in hand. Also had the ECM reprogrammed. The service department handled the ECM and skipped the TQ diagnostics.

Finally convinced the service writer that this was an issue and had the technician go for a ride. Parts are on the way from Dallas and hopefully they will get swapped out by the first of next week.

Then it's time for the Vararam 4G, Y-Pipe and Magnaflow muffler!

I'll post pics when it's all done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.