DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 02 ram 5.9
Trim Level: sport
Color: blue
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road
Default Gas mileage effects....gears or tires.

I just want to say thanks ahead of time for chiming in. What I have is a 2002 Ram 5.9 with the 3.92 gears.

Since the stock gears would be 3.55 with the 31 inch tires without tow package and sport package I thought I'd adjust for better gas mileage.

Now I know some are going to say bigger tires kills gas mileage or lower gears but it all depends on what your driving.

I have a daily drive that's highway. Only two stop lights. otherwise I have 20 miles of solid driving with cruise set. Plus I always take off very easily to save fuel.

What my question is would I be best to install 3.55 gears or just up the tires from the 31's to 36's?

Will the extra rubber/weight hurt the gas mileage gains? vs just changing out the gears?

Currently I can drive 50mph and average on the overhead gauge 16's
at 60 it's about 14mpg
and at 70+ 11mpg

Last trip I took was 100 miles one way interstate and I drove behind a semi riding his butt at 75mph and averaged 11.6mpg

My RPM's at 60 are roughly 1800 which I think they should be more like 1500... I could be wrong.

I have cat back exhaust....cortex programmer set for mileage XL and moved the IAT sensor to the intake tube.

Any input to help up my gas mileage would be great. But the big thing was tires vs gears...couldn't really find anything I was looking for when I searched.

I'm sure more tire/weight is going to hurt the gas mileage gain but question is how much?
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2011, 12:51 AM
erm

What I found was that a wider tire kills mileage, not taller ones. I went from a 325 section width tire to a 285 section width tire and saw some gains from that. Also, I went to a forged aluminum wheel vs. a cast aluminum wheel and I'm sure that helped as well. Of course, the new tires were also a bit lighter but not much. Maybe 5 pounds per corner.

As far as how much, heck if I know. I had a lot of mods going on, intake/exhaust/programmer at the time and they all contribute.

I'd go with a narrow tire when it comes time to swap out.

I'd leave the gears alone for now.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 02 ram 5.9
Trim Level: sport
Color: blue
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
What I found was that a wider tire kills mileage, not taller ones. I went from a 325 section width tire to a 285 section width tire and saw some gains from that. Also, I went to a forged aluminum wheel vs. a cast aluminum wheel and I'm sure that helped as well. Of course, the new tires were also a bit lighter but not much. Maybe 5 pounds per corner.

As far as how much, heck if I know. I had a lot of mods going on, intake/exhaust/programmer at the time and they all contribute.

I'd go with a narrow tire when it comes time to swap out.

I'd leave the gears alone for now.
Yeah I totally agree on the wider...wider equals more friction. The guy who had the truck before me swapped out the rims and they are a full metal rim so they are heavy and then on top of that went with 305 or 325 instead of the 285...can't remember.... But that was my thoughts go taller and back to stock width and then use the programmer to correct my speedo. But it just sucks that at 70+ I can draft and can't get nothing for mileage.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 AM
erm

LOL...it's a truck man. Mileage ain't good when yer drivin' a heavy brick!