DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm thinking a bad ground somewhere. The motor was rebuilt by the previous owner and some stuff isn't routed the factory way. There are 2 ground straps coming from each side of the motor attached to the valve covers that are really tight but still connected. Maybe he put more somewhere else. Gotta fix this soon so I can do more stuff and it needs to go on the road before the snow.
Grounds to the valve covers? I thought the ground was supposed to go from the engine block to the frame...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge D250 5.9 2WD
Color: Faded Gray
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
Rep:10
MoparGuy86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Grounds to the valve covers? I thought the ground was supposed to go from the engine block to the frame...
Ya... The grounds ARE supposed to go, Frame to Block. But that's not your problem. Your linkage between your gear selector and trans got moved or bumped enough that your showing your in park but your really not. Your best be is get under the truck and on the drivers side of the tranny there will be a lever that sticks out and connects to a rod. (The lever will be just up and to the right of the NSS). That rod connects to another rod that follows up your firewall to your gear selector. Somewhere on there is a nut that you can loosen to move the rod. On the tranny, if you pop that rod out of the lever that comes out of the trans you can move it back (towards the rear of the truck) a little bit. Once you have moved it all the way back I bet 10 to 1 the truck will start right up.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 PM

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge D250 5.9 2WD
Color: Faded Gray
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
Rep:10
MoparGuy86 is on a distinguished road

ALSO MAKE SURE THE TIRES ARE BLOCKED OFF WHILE DOING THIS, BECAUSE THE TRUCK MIGHT ROLL!!! And a hammer to tap the lever might help, because moving it with your hand probably wont cut it.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:75
Ramrob will become famous soon enough

The block is grounded and there are the black ground ribbons going from the valve cover bolt to the firewall. I unhooked the gear shifter the day it wouldnt start and put it in park by hand. Then I welded an extension to make sure they were in sync. I've been messing around with all the wires making sure everything is connected and still nothing. my code reader gave me nothing. I just noticed that the odometer reads "no bus". I googled it and tried a few things that other people did to make it work and nothing. Will try more. Keep ideas coming.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 PM

Just found out that the little boxes under my dash with blinking lights are for an alarm system. I did unhook a light with wires that was drilled in the lower dash that I thought someone did as a fog light reminder. The wire harness under the dash is semi hacked and there was a few unused wires but I don't know which ones. I may have loosened one here or there. The wires come out of the boxes and go everywhere. They have power because when I turn the key a green light comes on. if I tap the box a red and green led blinks. It doesn't look factory at all. "UNGO" on all the boxes and some inline fuses. I'm going to try to jump the starter tomorrow with the key on and in park to see if the truck stays running. If it does I will go from there, tap a hot wire in reverse for the reverse lights. Starter relay clicks so I have power until there.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^those damn alarms are a PITA. They always end up giving electric issues after several years due to being poorly installed by idiots with crappy connectors. I've ripped one out of my old s10 that my brother had installed, it look like a million wires and I started freaking out as I first started taking it out, but as you pull it out it gets simpler and simpler, there ended up only being like 4 or 6 or something actual points where it spliced into the factory harness. It was an easy fix. I suggest you rip it out and fix the spliced wires, even if it ends up not being the actual issue it'll be better in the long run to avoid later issues...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^those damn alarms are a PITA. They always end up giving electric issues after several years due to being poorly installed by idiots with crappy connectors. I've ripped one out of my old s10 that my brother had installed, it look like a million wires and I started freaking out as I first started taking it out, but as you pull it out it gets simpler and simpler, there ended up only being like 4 or 6 or something actual points where it spliced into the factory harness. It was an easy fix. I suggest you rip it out and fix the spliced wires, even if it ends up not being the actual issue it'll be better in the long run to avoid later issues...
I'm thinking it may be it. Coincidentally I pulled the light out at the same time as the lift. I unhooked the siren and it may be a circuit that's needs to be completed so I don't want to try to re hook the stuff back up. I thought the wire from the light went through the firewall so I gave it a little tug. I may have loosened more. I'll try to pull it apart and see whats what. Your right, it looks overwhelming that's why I wanted to just jump the starter. The NSS is either $10 or $40 depending on my tranny I didn't check yet. I made sure it was hooked but I didn't trace anything back a little further to see if it pulled somewhere. I will do that first.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Finally had some time to check it out. Got all but one part of the alarm system removed. Can't find the instructions online. This one looks like an older model. Jumped the starter and it runs great. Gotta get a push start for now and next year when it warms up I MIGHT try to figure out the wires. Might even try to wire it to the key.