DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default Need advice for my cut springs

I have a question for you suspension guru's to maybe guide me in what to do... I have limited experience/knowledge on how to figure out ride height. I have a quad cab and I bought an extra set of RT springs to cut for the rear. They have the progressive, tightly wound coils at the top unlike my stock springs, so after cutting there is still a near flat surface to fit into the spring perch in the frame. I cut slowly in sections and ended up with a total of about 1.5 coils cut off. I was hoping for about 1.5" of drop, and ended up more at like 7/8" drop. I stopped cutting more off because the springs were becoming very loose at axle full extension and I was afraid if I cut anymore and hit a bump or something the springs could possibly fall out or get out of correct position. I have seen others with reg cabs that have cut 1.5 coils and got about 1.5 to 2 inches of drop. I'm guessing since I'm quad cab the extra weigh of the cab primarily rests of the front springs and not the rear, so the front is lower (I sort of verified this as my friend's reg cab RT and my brother's reg cab express both sit higher than mine in the front when stock). So I'm trying to figure out how to easily get another half inch. I could cut the springs more, and make axle limiting straps which isn't a big deal. My other though is that the stock shocks may be pushing the rear up a bit. Do you guys think if I got shorter shocks it would drop any more? I'm thinking about just unbolting the shocks to see if it makes a difference, and if it does them buying shorter shocks. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

You could check out BILSTEIN SHOCKS, i believe that some of them are adjustable
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks for the tip. If I unbolt my shocks and find it lets it sit lower I'll look into that.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:11 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

you could always cut em lower and just put limiter straps/chains on?

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 AM

SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

oops didnt read the end of your post... that seems like the easiest though. Or maybe the belltech drop shocks? Arent those usually good for like ~3/4" down?

1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 AM

^I really didn't want to cut more because I'm getting to the point in the spring where the coils start spreading, and although I could probably cut a bit more safely, I would like to leave it where it is as it sits almost flat now. Also, if I can avoid limiting straps that'd be great, as I would like to be able to swap springs quickly if I ever need to tow or haul a heavy load (stock spring payload is nearly double these ones, plus I cut these so it's even lower). With straps I would need tools to unbolt the straps, not that big of a deal, but without them I can literally swap springs with a jack and 10-20 minutes.

So you think maybe the shocks would be raising it a bit? I'm going to unbolt them sometime to see if it lowers it anymore, and if it does then I can order some shorter or adjustable shocks maybe. When I cut the springs it dropped about 7/8". I wanted a total of like 1.5". It does look much better sometimes, but other times I can't even tell a difference (I think it depends on how it's sitting, like on a hill or what...).

Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 PM

I swear belltech has "drop shocks" ment for lowered trucks that lower it a little more. It might only be .5, but they will ride better to because thats what they were designed for (stroke/valving wise

Last edited by SS4Luck; 12-15-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010
Rep:11
5.7ram is on a distinguished road

Well , i just ordered the Belltech springs and performance shocks. Iam going to cut 1 coil off the front and 1 coil off the rear. Iam hoping the lowered shocks will hold up , if not i will have to find out about 32 way adjustable's.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Well , i just ordered the Belltech springs and performance shocks. Iam going to cut 1 coil off the front and 1 coil off the rear. Iam hoping the lowered shocks will hold up , if not i will have to find out about 32 way adjustable's.
Would you do me a favor since you are getting the kit, would you take a measurement of the shock for me so I can compare to the stocker? That way I'll have a better idea of what I'd need to buy.