DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9
Trim Level: none
Color: burgundy
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
jimidesi is on a distinguished road
Default Bad heater, No hot air??

heater not blowing hot at all! i have a leaking waterpump that seems to be leaking out of the weep hole, any ideas where i should start to try and fix this?? any advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1761
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

1.) Was the heat working before the pump started leaking?

2.) "Heater not blowing hot at all" Can I assume the fan is working?

3.) Is it exchanging between defrost, vent, floor, etc...?

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 12-18-2011, 12:12 PM
erm

Agreed ^^^^ If it was working before, then the coolant issue and the heater core need to be looked at.

If the HVAC functions of defrost, vent, heat, floor, mix don't work, then it's the HVAC blend door, which is a common issue.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Scoooter is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this is the issue but I had a thermostat stick wide open before which killed just about all the heat I was getting.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter View Post
Not sure if this is the issue but I had a thermostat stick wide open before which killed just about all the heat I was getting.
Yep that causes the coolant to circulate too quickly not generating sufficient temperature to supply heat.

DISCLAIMER
Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Agreed ^^^^ If it was working before, then the coolant issue and the heater core need to be looked at.

If the HVAC functions of defrost, vent, heat, floor, mix don't work, then it's the HVAC blend door, which is a common issue.
The thermal relay on the passenger's side floor board up under the glove box-towards the center is another thing worth checking in the hopes of not having to do the blend door which as MD said is a common cause.

I'd turn wrenches on the water pump to repair the obvious problem and see if a proper coolant level alleviates the problem...if not you've got a couple of good leads to follow.

By the way... The fan is threaded to the water pump. Pull one of the 13mm bolts on the pulley behind it and stick a screw-driver in the hole to keep it from spinning when you turn the large nut COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. (That was a preemptive post)

DISCLAIMER

Last edited by Warlock III; 12-18-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Color: White
Rep:37
DadzDodge is on a distinguished road

I agree that the first order of business would be to replace the water pump. The heater core on our trucks sits higher than the rest of the cooling system and if you're leaking coolant, your heat is going to suffer. As you know, water pump leaks only get worse, and you already know that if the coolant level gets way too low, having no heat in the cabin will be the least of your worries.

What readings are you getting from your temperature gauge? It would be interesting to know if the cabin heat is poor even when the temperature gauge is pointing to the 200 degree range.

Some steps to try:
1) make sure the coolant level is full
2) "burp" the cooling system to make sure there's no air in it
3) take a ride and see if the heat works - if it does, your lack of heat was strictly due to a low coolant level; but if still no heat and if your temperature gauge indicates your thermostat is operating correctly, you may be looking at a heater core problem -- but I would still replace the water pump first.

Just last weekend, I replaced the heater core in our '96 Ram. I had replaced the water pump in August, and the thermostat in September, and then after cold weather arrived we found that the heater's output was inadequate. When flushing the heater core I could tell it was a little plugged up, and after replacing it, the heat was nice and hot. So it seems that even a slight restriction in the heater core will inhibit coolant flow enough to keep the heater core from getting sufficiently hot. My guess is that coolant leaking out the weep hole reduces pressure in the system and that would seem to reduce the volume of hot coolant passing through your heater core. I'm not certain of this though and am tossing it out there for discussion.