DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dark Brown
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
farrelgs is on a distinguished road
Default 5th Wheel Towing -- Ram 1500

I have a 2011Ram1500Quad Cab 4 X 4 with the Big Horn Package. 5.7 Liter V8 HEMI with a 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio. The truck is equipped to tow 10200 lbs with a payload of 1610 lbs. The Box size = 6'4".

My question is, I want to pull a lite weight 5th Wheel trailer and want to know if anyone had experience with this or can give me Advice, Suggestions etc for me?

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

This will help you to understand what you can tow 5th wheel wise

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

They mislead you when they say 10,200 TOW weight
you have quite a bit of subtraction to do

it will come out to something like a 3,000 pound 5th wheel, but math is not my strong point
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 12-18-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember, Payload includes -
1) Gas in tank
2) Driver
3) Passenger(s)
4) Cargo
5) Trailer PIN WEIGHT!!!

For 5th wheel trailer applications, a 3/4 or 1T in much better choice.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 PM
erm

Shortbox 5'vr towing has it's own set of concerns besides just making sure you don't overload the truck or the trailer. Most shortbox trucks towing 5'vrs will use a Reese or other brand sliding hitch.

Sliding fifth wheel hitches are a must for towing a fifth wheel trailer with a short bed truck. Moving the hitch backward in the truck bed helps prevent damage to truck and trailer when backing and making tight turns. With a conventional fifth wheel hitch, tight turns could result in damage to the truck cab or the overhitch section of the trailer.

Here's some info you might find handy with respects to tow ratings:

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/201...ammlup1500.pdf

Here's some info on how to "do the math" of GVWR and what it means:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

And here's a little bit about payload & towing capacity that may help you as well.

The best ways to insure you don't exceed the GVWR is to:

1. Know your truck numbers numbers - truck empty, truck full, GVWR, towing capacity, weight of a gallon of water, weight of a gallon of fuel, passenger load and any gear load weights.

2. Know your trailer numbers - trailer empty, trailer full, water capacity, propane weight, weight of gear you put in the trailer, etc.

3. Many folks do not put in fresh water until they get to, or are close to, their destination for the night. Then if they are moving on the next day, they drain most of it, leaving enough to keep the tank wet and have some water if they need to stop along the way.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 single wheel
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black & Silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
moparguy62 is on a distinguished road
Default are you kidding?

Listen who would buy these trucks if you can only tow 3k. You guys are misleading to say the least. The truck is rated to tow 10,200 the thats it. Then you have a GVCWR thats combined, then there is payload. Some guys say once youve placed 4 adults in the truck you can't put anything in the bed, REALLY then may as well get a car! Then you want to deduct for gas,oil, etc. I'd write the factory before listening to this stuff. If you buy a daulie by time you do the math the way these guy potray it you may have the capacity to tow a VW.

I tow a 7000lb 5ht wheel and don't exceed my GCVWR, and I don't over load my rear axle. I have a pullrite superglide 5th wheel. Truck pulls it fine, 10 lbs in the airbags and I'm still within limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
This will help you to understand what you can tow 5th wheel wise

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

They mislead you when they say 10,200 TOW weight
you have quite a bit of subtraction to do

it will come out to something like a 3,000 pound 5th wheel, but math is not my strong point
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

As i said, that math was from the website that i posted

If you look at this website, the calculations are different
it has a sliding bar for weight & then you insert number of people in the truck, this is for the 2009 models
http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/weight...0&passengers=4
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrelgs View Post
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4 X 4 with the Big Horn Package. 5.7 Liter V8 HEMI with a 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio. The truck is equipped to tow 10200 lbs with a payload of 1610 lbs. The Box size = 6'4".

My question is, I want to pull a lite weight 5th Wheel trailer and want to know if anyone had experience with this or can give me Advice, Suggestions etc for me?

Thanks
Is it a 4x4, OR, is it equipped to tow 10,200lbs?
Do you have the 17" or 20" rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparguy62 View Post
Listen who would buy these trucks if you can only tow 3k. You guys are misleading to say the least. The truck is rated to tow 10,200 the thats it. Then you have a GVCWR thats combined, then there is payload. Some guys say once youve placed 4 adults in the truck you can't put anything in the bed, REALLY then may as well get a car! Then you want to deduct for gas,oil, etc. I'd write the factory before listening to this stuff. If you buy a daulie by time you do the math the way these guy potray it you may have the capacity to tow a VW.

I tow a 7000lb 5ht wheel and don't exceed my GCVWR, and I don't over load my rear axle. I have a pullrite superglide 5th wheel. Truck pulls it fine, 10 lbs in the airbags and I'm still within limits.
There are number of things that 'Must' be confirmed before making any claims about what can be done while maintaining a legal towing combination. The first thing is determine if the OP is equipped to tow 10,200lbs, OR has a 4x4. In the 2011 model year, there is NO 1500 combination that allows for 10,200lb towing with a 4x4.

Failure to take all things into consideration is only a recipe for failure, and I am not about to say 'Yes it can tow it', until I have all the facts.

My 2010 1500 Ram 4x4 spends a lot more time with a 7000lbs trailer behind it then not. Although my truck is 'rated' to pull much more, my combination of payload and trailer takes me within 50lbs of being 'not legal'. If I want to pull more trailer, I will have to reduce the fuel in tank, or loose some weight, or move my tool bag to the trailer, etc, etc.

The rated max trailer towing weight is only available under certain conditions, and I am very anal about making 100% sure that ALL the conditions are within the rated and legal ratings.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI