DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My experience today

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Voc1 
#1 ·
I was on my way home and when I was stopped at a stop sign an older looking GMC Sierra passed by and gunned it trying to show off his exhaust I guess. Anyway, I ended up pulling out behind him and we got stopped by a red light. We were both turning right so when he went he gunned it with his loud exhaust trying to look cool and I went out behind him a second or so later and ended up flying past him before I even got up to 60 MPH. I thought it was funny because he was actually trying to show off how fast his truck was and I was barely hitting the gas and I blew him away. Then he got behind me and tried to swerve past me but I was turning off to get to my neighborhood. When I was younger I would have kept on going just to show him what was up! lol:smileup:

#2 ·
Man, I tell ya...my new truck is going to get me into trouble too. Just yesterday this dork in a Chevy pickup came up beside me with loud exhaust and gunned it when he was going by me. So being dorky too, I stepped on it at only about half throttle and just blew by him like he was tied to a pole. The truly funny thing was that he had loud dual exhaust, but it was obviously a 6-cylinder engine, as you could tell by that funky 6-cylinder dual exhaust note. I felt bad...and a bit stupid...but this truck sort of brings that out in a person. It almost makes you feel like a kid out hotrodding again.:LOL:

#3 ·
What amazes me is the guys who don't know much about cars and trucks.
Example: The other day a dude in an 03 to maybe an 05 Malibu with a 4 cylinder (just like my 82 yr old mother's) tried to mess with me. Maybe he didn't see HEMI on the side. Well I didn't waste my gas on him, but got a good laugh.

#4 ·
People have some weird ideas about vehicles and speed.

Ride a motorcycle for any length of time and you are guaranteed to get people in all sorts of absurd vehicles trying to race you. From giant behemoth dually trucks to prius(es) and everything in between. It is like the concept of "power to weight ratio" is completely lost on them. I've never understood it.

#5 ·
I have many similar experiences on my bike.
This fall I was cruising along on a paved rural road at about 110 kmh.
I noticed some 20ish kid behind me in a Beemer.
He was waiting for a chance to pass.
He passed me as expected and kept accelerating. I just stayed behind him until he got up to 160 or so.
I then blew passed him just before a nice curve and left him far behind.
I love doing that kind of stuff!
I haven't really had a run with anyone in my truck yet. The opportunity hasn't come up yet. I don't waste my time with Civics with 4" tailpipes.

Hey, this makes me want to start a thread of bike and Ram pictures.

#8 · (Edited)
I have many similar experiences on my bike.
It is really really weird how that happens. Even a 'slow' bike is rocketship by car standards, but everyone thinks they can race a bike no matter what they are riding. Very puzzling.

Hey, this makes me want to start a thread of bike and Ram pictures.
Good idea! I'd drag the bike out next to the truck for a pic if you make that thread! :)

Yankee: great truck and loving the old trike! Very cool!! That's an old shovelhead isn't it? Any more info on it?? Looks like a neat build!

Edit:
It's those damn prius drivers that make me laugh sometimes...they think they can be sooooo fast.
You can't help but laugh sometimes! I had a guy at a gas station once when I was gassing up my old bike tell me this big long tale of his "street racing" experiences with his Prius! He actually told me with a straight face how "electric motors make more torque" so a Prius was a "serious sleeper" at a stoplight. lol

G
#7 ·
It's those damn prius drivers that make me laugh sometimes...they think they can be sooooo fast....then they pull in front of you and slow down...wayyyy down...that's when ALL my lights go on ... hehehehehehe

#9 ·
Bikes are (on average) so superior in power/weight ratio that some bike riders think a bike can't be beat in a drag race by a car. It is those guys that sometimes get pimp slapped by reality, and it's fun to watch. A buddy of mine delivered a heaping helping of reality with his '80 malibu to the rider of some type of crotch rocket a few years ago. The guy actually stated that "a bike can't be beat".

Steve then proceeded to show that not only can a bike be beaten by a car, but it was going to happen right then. The really funny part is, Steve got a little out of the groove, with one tire off the road in the dirt, got it back on again, sprayed it, and THEN rolled on by homeboy. We never saw the expression on the bike rider's face as he just kept on riding. We never saw him again. That was in about 2007, and as far as I know he's still riding.

DO NOT EVER make the mistake of thinking a bike can't be beaten by a car in a drag race. I don't care if it's a Hayabusa, somebody has a car that will hand the bike it's ass. It's not that hard to do. Get a car that can generate some 60 foot times in the 1.5 second or quicker range and you're likely to do it. Most rear drive domestics are capable of 1.5's or better with stock style suspensions and slicks. Some will do it with drag radials.

#10 ·
A given bike can absolutely get beaten by a car....it's just rare.

A honda gold wing (!) will run a quarter in 13.5 or so. And while that is freaking glacial for a motorcycle, in the car world that is pretty decently fast. And yes, there are quick/fast cars out there, but they are much more rare and highly built to reach what is a pedestrian rate of speed for a common bike.

Even crappy little fart can/beehive sounding 650 crotch rockets nowadays run in the 11's, the 650 ninja being a good example. Yes, 650's. Liter bikes are all in the 9's or 10's. Those are pretty absurdly quick times by 4 wheel standards...especially when you start looking at the cost.

So yes, bikes can be beaten by cars in quickness/speed. But very, very rarely, and much, much more expensively.

#11 ·
VOC1, it is an old 1979 Shovel Head Harley, yes it is a AMF
at one time it was given a rigid frame
it is a 1979 80" FXE, the engine & transmission have been recently been gone through
the frame was cut off just behind the rear uprights & made back into a swing arm
then i picked up a 1953 Harley Servicar rear end, a custom swing arm was built, shocks installed, real old Chrysler brakes were used on the old Servicars, dual cam brake adjusters & drums were just replaced.
I put on a wide glide front end, with dual discs & had a speedometer setup made that works off the front wheel, instead of the transmission
Yes it burns rubber on take off, but i need to change sprockets to keep up with a 2 wheeler on the highways

#13 ·
Thanks so much for the info and pics! Goshdang that thing looks like a kick in the pants and a ton of fun! :)

I bet those old bias plys went up in smoke all the time on you, but damn those were some nice looking old tires!!

Interesting stuff on the servicar rear end...I've read about servicars but never seen one up close and in person. Any pic of the back end of that?

Sorry for the bike/trike derail, two wheels is something of a passion ;)

Edit: oops cuss word edited to PG version!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.