DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:19
colingibb is on a distinguished road
Default Running Multiple Amps off Stock Head Unit

Okay, I think I have this figured out, but if someone could verify this would work, and answer one question, I'd appreciate it.

I am going to install my 4 new speakers soon running off the stock head unit, and shortly I am looking at purchasing a 4 channel amp to power the 4 speakers, and then a mono amp to power a sub.

So, I'm planning on using a Line Output Converter to take the speaker signals down to a pre-amp level, and running those to the 4 channel amp. If I get an amp with a pre-amp out on it, and use this to run to another mono amp to power a subwoofer, will the volume be controlled on the subwoofer the same as on the 4 speakers controlled by the first 4 channel amp?
Where does this pre-amp out (passthrough) get the signal from, does it get it from one of the channels on the 4 channel amp, or is it a sum of all the signals? essentially, how does the balance and fade affect the mono amp?

Below is a diagram of the setup I'm planning on using:

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos on the system diagram. Rep points for that!

Pretty much what you said, yes. Except the Output is still right and left going to the next amp (the 4 channel going to mono amp in your proposed setup). The line output converter usually will have 4 wires going in, and then a set of RCA out (right and left). Fade and balance is a bit different on the mono though. Are you using two line converters? The 4 channel should have four inputs (Right and Left for Front and Rear). Most 4 channels will only have the single output that acts as a combined signal (almost like they had adding a subwoofer amp behind it in mind )

The volume will be controlled equally for both amps, yes. However, some mono amp manufacturers will have a Bass Boost knob that can be mounted near you for those times when you want to crank up the boom. I never recommend using the Gain as a volume control. I have always went by what I was taught, which is turn the Gain down on both amps, turn up the volume on the head unit as loud as you want it, then start turning the Gain up. Once you hear distortion from the speakers (or it is just ridiculously too loud), then you back the Gain off a bit, and it's all set.

Last edited by chithead; 06-30-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:19
colingibb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply -- so I don't quite understand the right/left going into the mono amp...the four signals going in the four channel amp are:
front left
front right
rear left
rear right

There is only one channel going from the four channel to the mono amp (pre-amp out) -- so how can this be left/right controlled? What happens if I use the head unit to adjust the balance from the left to the right -- how will this affect the sub?

Thanks!

Colin
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM

chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

It will still have a signal, but the ability to fade left and right will not be available. From what I have read, the mono amplifiers are not manufactured to distinguish left and right. Even if they could, it would not do much good because bass to the human ear is non-directional. This is why even in a car it can be difficult to determine that the sub is in the trunk.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad/ SB / 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Flame red
Rep:57
jamesb0 will become famous soon enough

Ok its time for a hat change, Live sound guy. Whenever you need a mono input it is always the left channel. Thats one of the reason you turn up the right side. The left is always stronger,thats been that way since the 60's
The human ear can't tell direction of low end below 100 megahertz thus no left or right just how hard you drive the amps to shake you ass.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Hmmm . . . never knew that ^^^ I just learned something else today.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

If you are goin to keep the head unit I strongly sugest looking into pioneer amps, for this simple set up. line level converters normally add feedback and engine whine to any amp. thats just a fact, but with the latest pioneer amps you can tap deriectly from the stock head unit and most of them will handle up to 26 watts signals and the built in noise blockers queep everything pretty tight and clean. no need for pheriferrals that will/most likely couse distortion and noise, and from the main 4 ch amp you can bridge it to the mono amp and problem solved for the sub. is that easy.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
LetsGoOilers is on a distinguished road

Which series of pioneer amps would you be talking about?? I am planning a system as well and i may run a new head unit with bluetooth but if possible i would really like to keep the stock setup with the Uconnect system.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

I know that entry level GM series provide real clean power output, go to the pioneerectronics.com and look around. I just replaced all my door speakers with pioneer and added a gm series amp, it was really good for a week and now I repleced the head uint as well from pioneer 6 series as I will be adding a second amp and pioneer 10 subs in the back. prices are low for thier entry level but the quality is good. i really like how clean the system is and the head unit provides the amp with 4v via all 3 RCA outputs and you can turn on and off your subs from the head unit, great for someone with a baby in the back seat( like me). if you replace the head unit make sure you use the XSVI 6502 wiring harness adapter if you will like to keep the music playing while u are waiting in the truck...lol...i also do a lot of waiting now days...
Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM

That is nice to have the radio stay on after you shut the truck off. Great info!