DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: big horn
Color: blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
11bighornblue is on a distinguished road
Default ?? about the sonnax line pressure booster

Can someone shed some light for me on this product. I understand it basically tricks the computer into putting more fluid pressure into the tranny lines. My question is what about I going to notice driving my truck? Is it mainly to help out in towing? Is it going to void my warranty?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I have one in my truck...just firms up the shifts a little to prevent slipping and clutch wear. Easy install and only 40 dollars or so.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

These LP boosters "adjust" the sensor reading, making it appear that line pressure is lower than it really is, so the controller will crank up the pressure (until it reads high enough). I don't think a small "adjustment" will hurt much, but I'm not sure it will help either. The controller learns the minimum line pressure needed to avoid clutch slippage. And that's not a single value - the LP is adjusted continuously depending on temperature, throttle opening, gear, etc. So let's say the minimum LP (for a certain set of conditions) is really 50 psi, but your LP booster is faking the sensor by 10 psi. The controller will "learn" the min line pressure to 60 psi and set it there, but in reality you'll still be at 50 psi. So you get no real benefit. There are some times (like during shifts) when we use a fixed LP value, so you would get higher LP at those times, but then the shift parameters (solenoid duty cycles, etc.) are also learned, so again you'll probably just learn those parameters to different values so you get the same shift performance as before. One area that might cause an issue is the fact that we set a fault if the LP sensor reading is too high (greater than 4.75 V I think). At max line pressure in Reverse (250 psi I think) the sensor reading is just below this threshold. So if your booster cranks the voltage up above 4.75 V, you could blow a fault, which would put you into open-loop line pressure control (where it ignores the sensor altogether). This would NOT light the MIL, by the way.

Bottom line: I don't think an LP "booster" will actually do much for you. You may get firmer shifts initially, but then the TCM will re-learn the shift adaptives (to give you smooth shifts with your new, higher line pressure) and you'll be right back where you started. So I wouldn't spend my money on one of these "boosters."
Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: big horn
Color: blue
Rep:19
11bighornblue is on a distinguished road

wow.. that is a awesome explanation. thank you .
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 5.7 Ram 1500 RCSB/2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:43
WarBaby is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
These LP boosters "adjust" the sensor reading, making it appear that line pressure is lower than it really is, so the controller will crank up the pressure (until it reads high enough). I don't think a small "adjustment" will hurt much, but I'm not sure it will help either. The controller learns the minimum line pressure needed to avoid clutch slippage. And that's not a single value - the LP is adjusted continuously depending on temperature, throttle opening, gear, etc. So let's say the minimum LP (for a certain set of conditions) is really 50 psi, but your LP booster is faking the sensor by 10 psi. The controller will "learn" the min line pressure to 60 psi and set it there, but in reality you'll still be at 50 psi. So you get no real benefit. There are some times (like during shifts) when we use a fixed LP value, so you would get higher LP at those times, but then the shift parameters (solenoid duty cycles, etc.) are also learned, so again you'll probably just learn those parameters to different values so you get the same shift performance as before. One area that might cause an issue is the fact that we set a fault if the LP sensor reading is too high (greater than 4.75 V I think). At max line pressure in Reverse (250 psi I think) the sensor reading is just below this threshold. So if your booster cranks the voltage up above 4.75 V, you could blow a fault, which would put you into open-loop line pressure control (where it ignores the sensor altogether). This would NOT light the MIL, by the way.

Bottom line: I don't think an LP "booster" will actually do much for you. You may get firmer shifts initially, but then the TCM will re-learn the shift adaptives (to give you smooth shifts with your new, higher line pressure) and you'll be right back where you started. So I wouldn't spend my money on one of these "boosters."
Thank you........!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

And I just ordered one...
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.