DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Sport R/T
Rep:10
svarvel1 is on a distinguished road

Just Confirmed that 56054164AB is the most recent version on the factory backup camera. That is 2 revisions since May or so. I don't know what is going on with all the part number changes but hopefully this newest part will be a good one.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramia Longhorn
Color: black/gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
firetruck is on a distinguished road

my 2011 ram has been in the shop for six weeks now, just for the backup camera. they have not found a fix. been in rent truck since. they even made one payment for me. drove a 2011 durango with exact same radio, looks very clear. At what point can the texas lemon law give me resolve?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramia Longhorn
Color: black/gold
firetruck is on a distinguished road

seven weeks in the shop. camara finally fixed. how do you add the distance bars on the backup camara?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Sport R/T
svarvel1 is on a distinguished road

I replaced my camera with part #56054164AB. The distance line addition is built into the camera so with out replacing your camera with the part number above I don't know of any other way to get them. Also the part number above is just the camera and you have to swap out cameras and use your current handle. This did fix the line issue during night time use which I am happy about. The new camera does not seem to be as clear but it does not have the lines going through it so all in all in my opinion this camera is acceptable.

I have been round and round with Chrysler about the quality of the original camera that was in my truck part #56054041AE. They refused to replace and I ended up for now paying for it myself. They state that the old camera works as designed, so it looks like they specificly made the camera to have lines going through it at night and they specificly designed a new updated camera for the heck of it.

For those people that get the accessory kit part # 82211184 you are going to get the old style camera as they are not updating the kit with the new camera. Atleast not as of now. For the people that have the old camera in a truck that came from the factory with that camera you may find a dealer that will step up and put the new camera in for you if you are not happy with the lines at night. but if you have the accessory kit good luck even though the camera is a production camera most dealers will not stand behind it.

They will try to tell you the wiring is different for the two cameras and it is to a degree but the camera is where the problem is not the wiring. The connection at the camera end of the harness is the same regardless of production or accessory. Hope this helps everyone.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red Pearl
Rep:19
Captc is on a distinguished road

I have a 2012 with a factory backup camera and I also have the lines on the screen when backing up. I have the Lockpick installed and noticed that the lines do not appear when I select the backup camera thru the lockpick. I suspect some external interference which is active only when the truck is in reverse. Maybe backup lights?

Captc
Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captc View Post
I have a 2012 with a factory backup camera and I also have the lines on the screen when backing up. I have the Lockpick installed and noticed that the lines do not appear when I select the backup camera thru the lockpick. I suspect some external interference which is active only when the truck is in reverse. Maybe backup lights?

Captc
Doesn't the camera have some sort of night vision thing going on at night. Maybe this is where the interference comes from? Could it also be the result of the low light environment. I mean these aren't extreme pixel cameras. Cell phone camera's get grainy in low light environments as well. I have the same problem, but I guess without a real direct solution I am just going to ignore it, until Dodge admits a problem or the damn thing stops working completely. The picture is good enought that I can back up with it comfortably, so I will play the "ignorance is bliss card" hope you guys find a solution.