DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 2500 cummins
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Blue
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
Nickster is on a distinguished road
Default 2009 nav system..... sucks

Good day,

So i have the nav system in my 09 Ram and i am not impressed at all. I have a normal Garmin GPS that i still use stuck up on my dash as it is way more accurate. Has anyone had any issues with the factory 09 nav system? It picks routes that are hundreds of km longer and can't figure out how to get back to my house 3 blocks away.

As well does anyone know it the new Garmin system that the 2012 comes with will fit the 09 wiring? I may upgrade mine with that if it is just plug and play.

Is there updates available for the factory GPS
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM
erm

You can get an update from your dealer on the stock unit. I'm not sure what version you have now so I don't know how good the upgrade will be.

Another option is to go with a Garmin equipped NAV aftermarket head unit.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 PM

Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)

yeah i am looking at the after market garmins now. Maybe Santa will bring it.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have the 730N RER radio
i just purchased the upgrade disc for $149 + tax and shipping
it comes with a radio software upgrade & the new NAV maps

the software makes the RER sound system work better
the Navteq maps were better & fairly good, but were not current for San Diego, roads that were opened within the last 6 months are not included
disc with tax & shipping came to something like $179
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
glamontagne will become famous soon enough

Mine has done ok. A few times it has told me that I was off the grid so to speak. I eventually plan on getting a map update, but will wait a couple of years to get more for my money.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, i also carry a Garmin Nuvi in my Ram
The model that i bought also has LIFETIME MAPS & TRAFFIC

The only thing that it does not have, that the 730N RER has is the VOICE COMMAND & the NUVI instructions don't come through the vehicles speakers

I don't know if you knew that on the RER NAV, you are in the map mode, click the button with the talking face, the unit will ask you what you want to do, like New Destination, then it asks something like street Address, then something like STATE, Town, name of street, then would you like to enter an address?
You answer these prompts verbally while driving
I use this often when i am traveling, you have the option of using the Shortest or Fastest route. If you also have the Sirius Traffic, you can see if there is an accident or construction on your chosen route & switch to the other method
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Spud67 is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 Longhorn 730N RHR Navigation sucks

I just bought a 2012 Longhorn before Christmas and traveled with it for the holidays. I tried the NAV just to see how it would route me for the usual trip of 500 kms to visit with family. This NAV system routed me a total of 800 kms from Weyburn, SK through northern North Dakota back to the border crossing south of Brandon, MB and up to Swan River through Brandon and Dauphin, MB. We pay a big pile of money for these new vehicles and systems and this is the crap we get for a high end NAV system.

Not impressed with the NAV system and when I talked to the dealer the salesman I talked to said that maybe it is a good thing that I am going after a fix for this so the problem will get fixed for other customers. Why should we have to do that? Are they not the go between for us to the manufacture and come back to us with a fix. I am going after a fix for this right to the top, as far as I can. This is unacceptable when buying a brand new vehicle.

I aslo tried the NAV on the way back to Weyburn from Swan River and it routed us the same way. From Swan River, down through the norther US and back into Saskatchewan to Weyburn, another 800 km trip.

I contacted NAVTEQ but have not heard anything back, of course it is Christmas and they are all probably away for the holidays. I have a Garmin Legend and if I use it for routing it is right on the money and all the maps for it come from NAVTEQ. According to the NAVTEQ website the maps on this RHR until are up to date and there is an updated expected in the spring of 2012. Then it will cost me more money to update a system that doesn't work.

This really sucks, the only this I found that sucks about this brand new truck.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road
Default nav gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
By the way, i also carry a Garmin Nuvi in my Ram
The model that i bought also has LIFETIME MAPS & TRAFFIC

The only thing that it does not have, that the 730N RER has is the VOICE COMMAND & the NUVI instructions don't come through the vehicles speakers

I don't know if you knew that on the RER NAV, you are in the map mode, click the button with the talking face, the unit will ask you what you want to do, like New Destination, then it asks something like street Address, then something like STATE, Town, name of street, then would you like to enter an address?
You answer these prompts verbally while driving
I use this often when i am traveling, you have the option of using the Shortest or Fastest route. If you also have the Sirius Traffic, you can see if there is an accident or construction on your chosen route & switch to the other method
there are two ways to wire the speakers on the nav one way it wont have a voice the other it will
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 PM

I am carrying my Old Garmin GPS still. I gave the RAM GPS a go again over the Holidays and tried to get from Wainwright Alberta to Cornach SK and it routed 940km to get there. Its usually just over 700km. My Garmin on the dash took the perfect route. I agree with Spud 67 about going to the top. For a $2500.00 option on a $50000.00 truck I expected the gps to be good. I could buy a very good aftermarket GPS/CD/DVD/Bluetooth for around $1000.00 and saved the 1500 bucks and had a good working aftermarket system. For all you people trying to buy these systems i would definitely look at the after market systems. Your local best buy or Future shop has some sweet systems.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road

theirs a place in your gps unit that you can change the rout to short rout gas saveing rout and what ever .