DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:19
colingibb is on a distinguished road
Default What's better, high level inputs or LOC?

Okay, so I've been looking at a bunch of different articles, and i'm seeing different information. I have an Audiobahn A4004T amp yet to be installed, it has high level inputs.

I plan on putting the amp behind the rear seat. Should I:

1) Buy a line output converter to convert the speaker wire outputs to line level behind the head unit, and then run the RCAs to the Amp?

2) Run the Speaker Level outputs from the head unit directly to the amp?

I've seen people say that the LOC units degrade the sound, but I've also seen people that say running the speaker wires to the amp can introduce noise...

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

just look at the specs on the amp you are trying to install, if you are thinking of placing it behind the rear seat make sure it's not more than 2.25" tall or you might have some cooling issues, back ther there isn't much room unless you add spacers to lift the seat. and it will be a PITA to get to adjustments once installed.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:19
colingibb is on a distinguished road
Default Clearance

Thanks for your reply -- clearance is not a problem, I do have sufficient airspace around the amp for cooling, and the back seats on the RAM lift up so getting to the adjustments will be easy.

But, the main question still exists -- LOC or Speaker Wire to the Amp? I'm starting to thing that LOC will be a better option especially since I'm thinking I might eventually change out the HU -- if I use the LOC and run the RCA cables to the back, then I won't have to re-run cables once I have pre-amp outputs.

So -- what's worse, the noise introduced by a long speaker wire run to the amp, or the degradation of signal from the Line Output Converter?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

keeping in mind that I'm no expert....

I'd go with the converters at the back of the head unit, then run the RCA's to the amp. Likek you said, if you upgrade the head unit, you won't have to pretty much reinstall the amp.

My experience with speaker level inputs on amps has not been good. I'll admit that I wasn't using a high end amp at the time, but I never could get the "alternator whine" filtered out. I tried all the tricks and even had a couple of filters inline with the signal, all to no avail. After replacing the amp (one that had low level inputs) I was able to run RCA's. I still had a bit of whine, but it was able to be handled by an inline noise canceling filter.

I had these amps installed in a '94 Cavalier, and they were known for their crappy electrical systems. There wasn't a decent ground in the car, and it had lots of electrical bleed through in the audio system (even the factory radio without an amp)......

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

I think these are all good suggestions. I used the high level inputs on a Kicker 1200.1 in my 2004 Ram, because it was the easiest for me at the time. I never noticed any electrical interference with it. Now like Exco posted, I had a Bronco II that had a constant problem with it Used an old Pyramid subwoofer crossover to connect RCAs to the amp, but never could get the alternator whine out of it. Of course that was 10 years and many many systems ago.

But as suggested above, if you ever switched out your amp for one that does not have high level inputs, you would have to run RCA cables and a Line Out Converter. The good news is, you could always tie the LOC right into the high level input wires already ran, and just use a short RCA cable to connect the amp (should you switch it out).
Old 07-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

have you decided what kind of amp are you getting, that will lead to the answer from there. and the haed unit is the easiest of things to remove and replace, since ther eis so much room there. I ran my power wires in the driver side, amp rca's on the pass side and amp to speaker strait down the middle of the cabin yup removin the front seats is a pain but I needed a weekend project...lol