DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
homepiece is on a distinguished road
Default First Oil Change - Help!

Hi All,

I recently bought (August 24) a 2011 Ram 1500 4.7L V8, and have just now ticked over 5000km (roughly 3100 miles) after 4.5 months. To be clear up front, I am a n00b - I do not have the skills (currently) to maintain my own vehicle. I do however, have mad computer skillz and have searched a lot for some help, but can't quite pin the info I'm looking for.

The dealership service centre (both of the ones in town actually - town is Victoria BC) are saying change oil now, and every 5000km thereafter. Given what I've read here, as well as the owner's manual, I believe this may be overkill.

The maintenance service schedule for the 2011s says it's required every 6 months or 12,000km or if the light's gone off - whichever comes first - therein lies my dilemma. I am so far away from 12,000km, and the oil light has not gone off, but am approaching the first mandatory service required to keep my warranty valid.

Both dealerships have said that the only thing that needs to be done is the oil change, and then I would be good until 10,000km and could worry about the rest then - they say it's okay to let the "other" things in the service schedule slide.

In doing this, by not sticking absolutely to what the warranty terms say, am I setting myself up to be burned? Ie, if I have an issue in 3/4/5 years time, can/will they tell me you missed your 6 month service requirements? Let's say I go to my regular mechanic for a few services in that time period too? My feeling is that I would in a sense become indebted to that dealership, in that they would look after me outside the terms of my warranty so long as I kept dealing with them. I am not super into dealing with the dealership repeatedly as my first few inquiries went nowhere. If not for the dealer other than where I purchased, I would still be trying to figure out if I can take it elsewhere I'm sure.

So, I ask of thee, masses, should I:
1- get the oil changed now @ 5000km by the dealer and then wait until 10000 (prob in about 1 year) for the second to do the required "6 month/10000km service" but be indebted to the dealership?
2- wait another month and have the "complete" 6 month service done by my usual mechanic? It would be at about 6000km?
3- both? have the oil changed now by the dealership (first one's free) and then go to my mechanic at the required interval and then continue on with the manufacturer 6 month intervals. I don't mind "wasting" an early service and having it done again in 6 weeks as I am loathe to miss the required 6 month services to save $50.

Does this even make sense? Basically I drive ~1000km a month and want to keep my car running within the terms of my warranty as cost-effectively as I can.

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
SilverHemi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverHemi

That must be a new car thing.....cuz i know ive lived by change the oil every three months or 3k miles.....well i guess now a days with better oils and stuff im sure u can run it every 3 months or 5k miles..... also be advised from what i have heard from alot of others on here the first oil change is a PITA... apparently the factory oil filter can be rather fun to take off lol

Last edited by SilverHemi; 01-03-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: add more
Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely have the oil changed now and since the first one is free let them deal with the factory filter. As per the previous post, and I can personally attest, that the factory filter is a major PITA to get off. Take it in for the rest of the stuff as per the maintenance schedule. For myself, I switched to 100% synthetic Amsoil at 5,000k and change it now at around 8,000kms. I have 22,000kms on my RAM and have changed the oil three times.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Being an old mechanic that was taught by every journeyman I ever worked under that "an oil change is the cheapest and best maintenance you can do for your engine" will say....change the oil every 5k kms. For me in the peak of travel season I was literally changing the oil every month. Overkill maybe but it's cheap insurance. I've since switched to synthetic and now go every 10k kms, but the large majority of my miles are all highway. My first couple of oil changes the change oil notice would appear on the EVIC almost bang on the numbers. Now it never goes off as I change it before the truck tells me it needs it.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 11 Ram Quad
Trim Level: sxt
Color: red
Rep:13
squig69 is on a distinguished road

my first change was at 8000km and switched to full synthetic. i asked the dealerchip about change intervals and they told me that they (the dealership) recomend changes at every 5000km. the manual states the same as yours 12000km or untill the oil change indicator tells you, so thats what im going by. if you get your service done by another auto mechanic just make sure you save all your reciepts incase a warranty issue comes up so you have proof that service was done by a mechanic
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:87
united316 will become famous soon enough

I did change at 3k and 6k now doing it by indicator or 8k as book states.
2011 SLT Crew Cab 4x2, 4.7, 3.55 gears, TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll-Up Dual Latch Tonneau, Westin Black Platinum series oval step bars, Aeroskin Hood Protector, Ventvisors In-channel smoke , Husky Liners Front ard Rear Mud Guards, K&N drop in air filter.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: '09 RAM 1500 4dr
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:61
Studbuster will become famous soon enough

Go by your Owners Manual as to 'required' service. Time or mileage, what ever comes first. Dodge built it, Dodge tells how to maintain it. It will save you money in the long run.

The dealer makes more money the more times they sell you something, use manual only.

Any mechanic, or yourself, can do the required service so as to keep your warranty valid.

Always, always, SAVE ALL YOUR RECEIPTS!

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO DO IT OVER??
Dave
Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough

Follow what is spec'd out in the owners manual. My dealership tried to say they could void my warranty when I showed up with 20 miles left before the recommended maintenance interval. After pointing out what DC stated in the manual I was apologized to and offered a test drive of any of the vehicles on the lot while I waited as "compensation"...man does the 6.4 challenger FLY!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
homepiece is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the help; my concern is more the timeframes set out (every six months). As I will be well under the required mileage when the 6 months / year / 18 months are up, my concern is not overly servicing it.

ie. if I do the first oil change now at 5000km, it's only 6 weeks until the "6 month" service. Given that the first oil change now is free, I will do that now, and then go by the book from that point forward.

Thanks again!