DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
gilunionhall is on a distinguished road
Default newbie - towing a ram 4x4

hi guys -

a newbie here. i hope this forum is as helpful as the others i belong to - this is my first post here.

i am intersted in buying an rv and wanted to use my 2007 1500 4x4 as a toad and tow it 4 down (on its own wheels, without a dolly or trailer - i think the terminology is).

i am not sure what forum to post this question and have done several different searches and did not come up with any previous discussions - maybe i am not in the correct forum?

1 - can my ram be towed 4 down?
2 - what, if any mods are needed?
3 - i am looking at a haulmark truck conversion with a 450 hp MB engine capabile of towing 40k lbs - do i need a braking system?
4 - a good source for any of the above items?

in advance, tks loads for all of your input

gil
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I can't answer all your questions, but can shed light on some.

1 - The Ram 4x4 can be towed 4 down. In your manual it under the heading 'Recreational Towing'.
2 - Other than a proper frame mounted front draw bar setup - none.
3 - I would think yes....but have absolutely no idea on how this would be accomplished. If I was considering this, I would contact an RV dealer and ask them.
4 - Your owners manual, and a larger RV dealer would hit the top of my list.

If you do not have an owners manual, you can download one from Dodge.com. Here is a link to manual section - http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/

Hope this helps a bit.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

4 down is also called FLAT TOWING
Towing a car with all four wheels on the pavement is called flat towing. It is mostly used to tow a vehicle behind an RV or motorhome. The advantages of flat towing are that there is no heavy trailer or dolly, and the tires wear at an even rate. The disadvantage is that many cars cannot be towed this way without modification. Since the car being towed is turned off but the transmission is still in gear, lubricating fluid is not being pumped. This can cause damage to the gears and transmission. The drive shaft is usually removed from the drive axle

Towing a vehicle 4 wheels down (also referred to as "dinghy towing" or "toading"
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default tks and more info

hi brad and gt - tks for responding to my inquiry.

i called a local camping world dealer in roanoke, va and got a very helpful gal in the service dept.

she took some time and ck'ed some other sources and came with the info that if you are in VA and there is an accident and the dinghy does not have a supplemental braking system that the insurance company would not pay for anything.

i have not done any further research to verify if she is correct.

she did say that they could do all the work on my truck and that the tow bar, etc would be $1900 and the braking system would be $1200 - both are installed prices.

that is the first place i called and talked to so i am not sure if those are "good " prices or not.

any other input, ideas, concerns?

tks again,

gil
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I found many brakes systems to choose from. If you are interested in a completely portable system the can easily be moved to a different vehicle, the 'Brake Buddy' looks like it would be work considering, but it 'must' be removed each time you want to use the toad as a normal vehicle, and re-installed when connected up to the RV. Having said that, it doesn't appear to that much to do that.

I also found a unified system by 'US Gear' that appears to be quite popular, but does require a bit to install it.

Other units for brake systems include -
Ready Brake
M&G Air Force one
Invisi-Brake
Even Brake

Some are for use with Motor Coaches that have Air Brakes, others do not.
The RV industry has a lot of products available, and a little more research on this would be prudent, and the cost of the brake systems appears a fair bit lower then the prices you indicated, and most have great videos on how to install your own.

As this is topic that is likely to crop up again, please keep us posted on what you end up doing and what you think of the final result. I'm sure there will a lot of future interest.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default good info

hi brad -

tks for taking the time to respond.

yes, there will a lot more research involved, i have enrolled in several RV sites and will do a lot of computer time on them as well.

the rv does have airbrakes and i was busy copying info down while the gal was talking and forgot to write down the manufacturers name of the braking product she was referring to.

tks again

gil
Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

With a vehicle that large it may almost be worth getting a trailer(open or enclosed)
That would probably my choice as limitations/rules for trailers are much more clear
Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default towing 4 down - transmission in Park?

hi brad -

per your suggestion ---
"4 - Your owners manual" - i did ck out the manual out and it appears that you place the transmission in park (and the transfer case in N) when you tow - it seems to me that it should be put in N.

i am not very mechanically inclinded - why is that?

tks,

gil