DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 187 32.19%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 283 48.71%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 111 19.10%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Str8Cracker is on a distinguished road

New member, first post and you can add me to the list. I kept reading this post and finally decided to join and chime in. It’s so aggravating that I purchased a brand new truck in October and the tranny already needs to be dropped for service. This problem is probably more wide spread then we could imagine, as people like me probably just read this and don’t say anything. It started making the noise within the first few weeks and to date the truck only has 4000 miles on it. I have not taken it in for service yet and honestly have just thought about trading it in on a different make of truck. This truck also gets no ware near the gas mileage on the window sticker, which is aggravating in itself. I’ve had vehicles that were a little off, but this one is not even close.

2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 4X4
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 2500 BIG HORN 4000 MILES
Color: WHITE
Rep:11
AINTSKEERED is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic4x4 View Post
I took the Star case in to the dealer and had the tech go for a ride. I explained what was on the case and he agreed to get it taken care of. It took 7-hours for the job but the symptoms are gone now. Had mine done at Gillman Dodge in Houston.
Gillman dodge huh? Rather than going back to planet dodge I may go by there.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
wilky70 is on a distinguished road

Finally getting a chance to make my first post. I to have the TC problem. I first noticed when it had less then 1000 miles, now at 4000 miles and it's very noticable.
Just before Christmas I contacted the sales rep at the dealership I purchased the truck at. He put me in touch with the service manager who clearly didn't want anything to do with the problem. I gave him the Star case number and he said they had never heard of any TC problem. I tried to get him to come for a test drive to hear the noise but he said I would have to make an appointment for their transmission expert to check it for codes and put it on their transmission dyno to ensure it was shifting at the correct RPM. I explained what I had learned from the forum and what I belived was causing the noise, he snaps back "we aren't going to replace your TC just because of some noise your hearing"
Last week I visited a second dealer just down the highway, the service manager was happy to come for a test drive and heard the noise right away. I left him copies of this thread and although he said they had never had anyone with a bad TC he was going to check with Chrysler and call me in few days.
Very disappointed in Chysler, I don't think I would buy a RAM again.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Gotta go in for my scheduled maintenance this week so I'm gonna have them put in a new TC just for the heck of it even though I don't have the noise
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
green70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Cracker View Post
New member, first post and you can add me to the list. I kept reading this post and finally decided to join and chime in. It’s so aggravating that I purchased a brand new truck in October and the tranny already needs to be dropped for service. This problem is probably more wide spread then we could imagine, as people like me probably just read this and don’t say anything. It started making the noise within the first few weeks and to date the truck only has 4000 miles on it. I have not taken it in for service yet and honestly have just thought about trading it in on a different make of truck. This truck also gets no ware near the gas mileage on the window sticker, which is aggravating in itself. I’ve had vehicles that were a little off, but this one is not even close.

2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 4X4
It will if you drive at 65 with the cruise on. Mine will get 18-22 depending on the terrain. Combined highway and in town it gets right around 15-16. Mine gets alot better gas mileage using the cruise than I can ever get with my foot.

Actually it was right at 60, not 65. I've been testing this on the way to work for a while now. At 60 with the cruise on it has averaged as good as 20.4 on a 30 mile trip. At 65 it will average about 19. At 70-80 it will average around 17 and so on. This is what I've seen. I can't get anywhere close to these #'s if I'm not using the cruise though. Haven't really figured that out yet.

Last edited by green70; 01-15-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner View Post
Gotta go in for my scheduled maintenance this week so I'm gonna have them put in a new TC just for the heck of it even though I don't have the noise
lol....too funny!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky70 View Post
Finally getting a chance to make my first post. I to have the TC problem. I first noticed when it had less then 1000 miles, now at 4000 miles and it's very noticable.
Just before Christmas I contacted the sales rep at the dealership I purchased the truck at. He put me in touch with the service manager who clearly didn't want anything to do with the problem. I gave him the Star case number and he said they had never heard of any TC problem. I tried to get him to come for a test drive to hear the noise but he said I would have to make an appointment for their transmission expert to check it for codes and put it on their transmission dyno to ensure it was shifting at the correct RPM. I explained what I had learned from the forum and what I belived was causing the noise, he snaps back "we aren't going to replace your TC just because of some noise your hearing"
Last week I visited a second dealer just down the highway, the service manager was happy to come for a test drive and heard the noise right away. I left him copies of this thread and although he said they had never had anyone with a bad TC he was going to check with Chrysler and call me in few days.
Very disappointed in Chysler, I don't think I would buy a RAM again.
It sucks, I know, I've been there.

Don't get too discouraged yet. Let's see what the service manager says when he gets back to you. By the way, if he doesn't call you with in a reasonable time period, call him back. It sounds like they really want to make you a satisfied customer.

If you aren't getting anywhere, give Chrysler Customer Care a call and lodge a complaint and open a case with them. They would really like to hear the way your selling dealership treated you in regard to this matter. Believe me, they don't like it when they are informed of crappy service to customers. The phone number for CCC is in the back of your manual. I believe there are separate numbers for Canada and U.S. residents.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

Str8Cracker,,, I usually get around 19 mpg at 80ish mph, but now that its winter time and the crap they add to the gas nowadays, I'm lucky to get 16. Damn ethenol crap. It will get better, and if they need to replace your TC that should help too. I too am still waiting for my dealership to step up to the plate and replace mine, my trouble is I am never home or close when they are open.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Brillaint Black
Jackattack is on a distinguished road
Default I may be able to HELP

My first post here as a new member hopefully someone get use out of it.

Attached is a Star service bulletin that got my dealer to replace the torque converter no questions asked first visit.

I can tell you that it did change the noise I was hearing and it is less noticeable but by no means did it fix it.

I can still hear the noise but it is much less noticeable and at least tolerable, I could not stand to listen to it every time I was in the truck. Radio was up all the time.

My apologizes if this has been provided already I did not intend to read word for word 12 plus pages of posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110927_225333.jpg (85.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Color: Silver
wilky70 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone purchased an after market converter? I was looking at ATS, they build a made in the USA heavy duty converter. Wouldn't this solve the problem permantely?
http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/product/3029272