Originally Posted by pgh234
I have a ghost odor like that too. However, I wouldn't describe it as chemical...more like a wet mildew smell.
That is something entirely different.
What you are referring to is called "dirty sock syndrome"
No BS, google it.
It is caused by a bacteria growing on the coil and can be almost impossible to get rid of.
Sometimes the coil can be kept clear with UV light but other times it needs to be replaced with a coil that has a special coating that will prevent the growth of bacteria.
My brand new Trane has this issue, thats why I'm so familiar with it =[
The problem I'm having happens ONLY in defrost mode and smells kinda like glue? Contact cement maybe.