DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Metallic Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
918Dodge is on a distinguished road

I bought my blk truck new.. it has the metallic flake paint. Since day one I have used a garden hose (never a power washer) and a soft washing sponge, the type you can stick your hand in and use as a glove. For drying, I use microfiber towels. One or two to dry the truck initially and then I got back over the entire truck with a completely dry micro fiber to rid the truck of any water spots and streaks. I have zero swirls in the paint. Looks just like it did the day I bought it, a year and a half later.

2010 Ram1500/SLT/RCSB/+Hemi
Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Vehicle: 2012 QC Express 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:31
Detail is on a distinguished road

When you travel anywhere after washing your truck and THEN try to chamois or towel it you run the risk of dragging dirt from the drive around on your paint. Also, wash mitts, sponges, rags etc all have pores and nooks and crannies for dirt to settle, all it take is a few good pieces of sand or gravel and your sponge is a piece of sandpaper. light scratches are inevitable if you intend to keep the truck clean. Just plan on a good buff/wax once or twice a year. I use a brush believe it or not....i used to work in a truck wash, thats all we used, when i opened up my detail shop i bought myself some nice soft wash brushes and some grit gaurds for my buckets that allow all of the dirt to fall below where the brush sits. I also keep the brush in water at all times so the dirt always has a chance to run off in between washes and the bristles (more like hairs theyre so fine and soft) never harden up.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 2wd express rcsb
Trim Level: express
Color: black clear coat
Rep:10
jlibert is on a distinguished road

I do all of the washing in the shade. Wash with mothers car wash soap and a microfiber mitt. Dry with an electric leaf blower followed by a chamois. Detail with Lucas slick mist, wax with mothers gold.

My neighbors look at me funny when I use the leaf blower.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
sonic4x4 is on a distinguished road

I did a quick wash (no wax) through the local car wash then hit her with an application of Fukken Wax. Simple, effective, and she looks wet!

The MODS LIST: Magnaflow Y-Pipe/Muffler, AMP Power Boards & Bed X-Tender, Spyder CCFL/LED Black Projector Headlights, Recon WhiteLightening LED Tailgate Bar, WeatherTech mats, Pro Comp K2075B 6" Lift, Moto Metal MO961 Matte Black 20" Rims w/ProComp Xtreme A/T 35" Tires, BakFlip F1, Aries Bull Bar w/KC Lights, LED Bulbs, Mopar Chrome Bug Deflector, BilletTech Catch Can, 180 T-Stat, Vararam 4G
Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:19
TheRileyFactor is on a distinguished road

While I haven't washed (or seen in person) my black 2012, my previous vehicle was a black 2006 Audi A4... One of the biggest tricks is to use 2 buckets (one to rinse your microfiber mitt or sponge off and one with the actual soap in it) with your second bucket having a grate in the bottom that keeps your sponge a couple inches off the bottom of the bucket where whatever little bit of dirt/grit will settle... I also always used Meguiars soap... I think the gold class stuff? Can't remember off the top of my head and am about 8000 miles from my garage to check, lol... Then, after washing, I used microfiber towels and you don't wipe it dry but set the towel on the car and just drag it across... you'll likely need a few towels to thoroughly dry trucks of our size, but I needed usually about 3 of them for my Audi. I talked to a few people that swore by chamois, but the microfiber felt softer to me so I always felt safer using it... Afterward I always took the time to put a layer of wax that's high in Carnauba with no abrasives. I can't remember the name of the wax, but it was a larger tin that I got for like $50 or something and was what the detailing guys all recommended on the Audi forums similar to this one. A lot of people use way too much wax, and in this case a little goes a LONG way, and I used a microfiber wax applicator... well... I actually used 4 or 5 of them at least when I was taking the wax off... But with this method I was not only able to turn my Audi into a black mirror, but it also took care of nearly all of the scratches from the previous owners sub-par cleaning methods after a few washes and wax applications. I also had a few friends that would use the Quik Detailer stuff on their cars to keep them looking clean... I never really trusted it though, and once you get a good thick layer of wax going you don't need to wax your truck every time you wash it, but you have to build it up first. Oh, and don't wash/wax in direct sunlight if you can at all avoid it!

Black vehicles can be a pain to keep their paint looking perfect, but damn it if a wet-looking black vehicle just doesn't turn heads and give you a hardon, if you'll excuse the expression, lol
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

DODGERT is correct you need to use the two bucket method. Plus you must clay bar you truck prior to putting any good wax on. talking wax is like talking oil everybody has their own opinion. Turtle wax has a wax just for black paint. it inculdes a three step system. check it out
Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic4x4 View Post
I did a quick wash (no wax) through the local car wash then hit her with an application of Fukken Wax. Simple, effective, and she looks wet!

nice display piece for the fukken wax...great detail job from this distance!!!
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:24
PX8black is on a distinguished road

They make a Grit guard that fits in the bottom of a bucket that keeps the grit away from your microfiber sponge or whatever you use to wash with. Also a clay bar and detailing spray before waxing helps tremendously.
K&N CAI, Hellwig 7709 rear sway bar, Trifold bed cover, painted the calipers red, debadged, WeatherTech floor mats, windows tinted, Rhino bed liner, Mopar color matched gas filler door, Recon third brake, Spec-D Projectors, smoked tail lights, Carbon fiber shorty antenna, McGaughy's 2/4 deluxe drop, Moroso 85479 oil separator, 18" Magnaflow, Lamin-X Gunsmoke Tint, Custom Billet Badges, EGR window visors, Jl audio and JBL speakers, Fastman TB,
Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Ya black trucks suck to keep clean but when they are clean they are just so damn sexy
Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlibert View Post
My neighbors look at me funny when I use the leaf blower.
Mine do too! It sure helps with the drips from places like door handles, mirrors and the grille though!