DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 191 32.43%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 286 48.56%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 112 19.02%
Voters: 589. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Many people go with aftermarket converters (Edge and Circle D are probably the most popular). I don't believe people do so to get rid of the noise, but do so for performance reasons. It should still solve the problem though. IMO, you should get the factory to replace it first, so that if you ever get rid of the aftermarket converter you have a good stock unit.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Str8Cracker is on a distinguished road

I don’t want to get this thread off topic, but I would love those MPG’s. I’m 33 with a two year old and can tell you I haven’t even put the pedal to the floor yet, but continuously average 11.7 miles per gallon. Any chance the TC could affect the mileage?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Cracker View Post
I don’t want to get this thread off topic, but I would love those MPG’s. I’m 33 with a two year old and can tell you I haven’t even put the pedal to the floor yet, but continuously average 11.7 miles per gallon. Any chance the TC could affect the mileage?
No, the change is only to correct the noise issue. It does not affect MPG or durability.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
gp2011ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky70 View Post
Finally getting a chance to make my first post. I to have the TC problem. I first noticed when it had less then 1000 miles, now at 4000 miles and it's very noticable.
Just before Christmas I contacted the sales rep at the dealership I purchased the truck at. He put me in touch with the service manager who clearly didn't want anything to do with the problem. I gave him the Star case number and he said they had never heard of any TC problem. I tried to get him to come for a test drive to hear the noise but he said I would have to make an appointment for their transmission expert to check it for codes and put it on their transmission dyno to ensure it was shifting at the correct RPM. I explained what I had learned from the forum and what I belived was causing the noise, he snaps back "we aren't going to replace your TC just because of some noise your hearing"
Last week I visited a second dealer just down the highway, the service manager was happy to come for a test drive and heard the noise right away. I left him copies of this thread and although he said they had never had anyone with a bad TC he was going to check with Chrysler and call me in few days.
Very disappointed in Chysler, I don't think I would buy a RAM again.
I would stick with this. I had the same issue and had it replaced no problem(in Ontario). What area are you in? I'm sure there will be a dealer that will get this fixed up for you. My dealer has replaced several now. I am glad I had it done. No noise at all.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Grey
RogueVette is on a distinguished road

gp2011ram, where are you in Ontario and what dealer did the work for you? If it's close, there is a good bet he would do mine as well without the hassle.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: ST
blk2011st is on a distinguished road

I took my truck in last week because it was getting horrible fuel milage, and i mentioned that it MIGHT be starting to make the famous TC grind and my service writer new exactly what i was talking about and noted it. Long story short, their trans guy took it for a spin and said it definately needed a TC. They replaced it under warrenty at just over 1500 miles on the odo. I never realized how quiet my truck was supposed to be. I would have been 100% happy with them if they didnt put a 1/2 inch scratch in my fender just behind the headlight on my BLACK truck. Im pretty sure its from somebodys belt buckle...
Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
wilky70 is on a distinguished road

gp2011ram
I'm in Hamilton. Purchased the truck at Taylor and they wanted nothing to do with problem. Next I went the dealer in Grimsby, they were very nice and heard the noise but it's now 2 weeks later and they still haven't made a decision if they will replace it or not.
Were did you get yours replaced? I would be willing to drive a couple of hours to have it fixed.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
gp2011ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueVette View Post
gp2011ram, where are you in Ontario and what dealer did the work for you? If it's close, there is a good bet he would do mine as well without the hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky70 View Post
gp2011ram
I'm in Hamilton. Purchased the truck at Taylor and they wanted nothing to do with problem. Next I went the dealer in Grimsby, they were very nice and heard the noise but it's now 2 weeks later and they still haven't made a decision if they will replace it or not.
Were did you get yours replaced? I would be willing to drive a couple of hours to have it fixed.
RogueVette and wilky70. The dealer is Centennial Dodge Jeep in Barrie. Right at hwy 400 and Dunlop street. I believe the service guy is Matt that I was speaking with. He has done a few things under warranty on my truck and has been good about it. I know that they have a transmission guy that does all of these. I had to book an appointment for a day that he had free. I was glad to know that he has done some of these before. If the name of the guy is different I will update you tomorrow. I think I have his card at my office. Again, if you have that grinding sound, get it done. It made a big difference.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: silver
woodsy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

This is my first post/reply on this forum. I've been part of this forum for awhile now. i just got back from my local dealer where i bought the truck. It took a better part of the day but it was worth it, my new torque converter is ordered. That star case info was a huge help from the other members. Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Grey
RogueVette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
This is my first post/reply on this forum. I've been part of this forum for awhile now. i just got back from my local dealer where i bought the truck. It took a better part of the day but it was worth it, my new torque converter is ordered. That star case info was a huge help from the other members. Thanks
Where in Canada are you? I'd like to find a dealer that will do something about this noise too.