DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough
Default Mygig RHR radio install in my 2009 1500

I wanted to let everyone know my experiences installing a 2011/2012 RHR high speed radio into my truck.

My truck is a 2009 Ram 1500 Sport which had the RES radio with the Uconnect option and the dual microphone rear view mirror.
The RHR radio must be a high speed bus radio.. I picked it up from a fellow member here for $800.
The RHR radio has two antenna connections. The first is for the AM/FM fender mount antenna. The second is for both the Sirius and GPS receivers. So you will either need to combine the two antennas into one input (the combination unit costs about $80 plus have to make special cabling) or replace the roof antenna with a dual band antenna from Chrysler from a newer vehicle (about $30).. I opted for the new dual band antenna. The RHR radio also has two USB connectors in the rear of the radio. If you want to put remote USB connections in your glove boxes, then you will need cables for this.

With my choice, the additional items you will need:
05064910AA Combination Sirius and GPS roof antenna (this P/N is for a Jeep Wrangler). About $30
82211666 Cable for interfacing between radio and the dual microphone mirror. Use this part number if your truck already has the dual microphone mirror. This is about $100.
An 11/16 inch flat washer. < $1.
Two mini USB 2.0 to USB A female cables. These are a little hard to find, but I found some on Ebay. Pricing in ebay varies...
To begin, the Combination roof antenna was meant for a thicker mounting surface than the 1500ís roof and will not fully tighten down to the 1500ís roof. The 11/16 washer is to compensate for the difference in thickness.. You will need to grind a notch in the outside diameter of the washer to clear the secondary (smaller) mounting pin on the new antenna. It is best to do this before you start.
Lower the rear headliner and remove the bolt holding the antenna in place.. (10 MM wrench).
You will need to enlarge the smaller mounting hole for the antenna for the new antenna to fit. (Unfortunately I canít remember what size I used..)
Place the new antenna through the holes and put the washer in place before tightening the mounting bolt. Ensure that the three fingers catch the bottom of the flat washer being used as a spacer. Plug the new antenna into the same connector that you disconnected the old one from.
Replace the headliner and any fascia you removed to get the headliner down.
Remove the old radio and remove the lower dash glovebox..
Install the new radio, but do not plug the center grey connector that was in the original radio. Plug the cable into this position from the new cable. I routed the two new USB cables, one to the lower console box and one to the lower glovebox.
Route the new cable behind and above the lower glove box. Remove the right front pillar cover and remove both visors. Remove the center ceiling console to allow the headliner to be lowered. Route the cable up the right pillar and over to the mirror. Disconnect the original cable from the mirror and plug it into the new cable. Plug the last end into the mirror. Route the cable so it is above the headliner and be careful to put the connectors above the headliner in a place where the headliner will go back up into position.
Replace the headliner, visors and right pillar cover.
Before you replace the glovebox. Look through it at the outside wall. You will see the original voice module mounted there.. Remove the cable from this module (you no longer need it because the voice recognition is built into the radio).. You can remove it, but I chose to leave it in place.
Replace the glovebox and the everything you removed to replace the radio.

Notes.. I replace the radio before getting the new antenna and cable. A couple of things were noted. 1. It didnít act like it heard anything I said.. (I didnít know that I needed that cable at the time. 2. Before I swapped roof antennas, the GPS acted like it was working.. BUT it had me driving around in Texas and not in NJ. Once I replaced the roof antenna, it had me back in NJ.. LOL
And a big one.. This doesnít look like itís supported by Chrysler. The parts guy at the dealership ordered the parts by the numbers I gave him, but said there was nothing noted where that radio would work in the 2009 Dodge 1500. As you can tell, it fully works including telling me what is playing on the radio on my dash (well, what # file is playing, not the title)..
I hope this was clear.. Please feel free to ask any questions..

Andy
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Great write up! Rep pints for the work.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: Sport Premium
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
lefty33 is on a distinguished road

Great write up! I did the exact same upgrade in my 2010 Sport CC...from RES to RHR. Instructions are virtually the same as what I did. Wish this write up would have been around when I did mine...mainly the 11/16 washer as the new antenna mounting/tightening gave me some grief. The biggest job in my opinion when doing this upgrade is pulling the dash & console apart to access the radio.

It's amazing at how "plug & play" this upgrade is...and how integrated it is already regardless that the original truck did not come with it. For instance...in the nav mode, I get turn-by-turn directions show up in the EVIC...same as on the unit itself. Sirius & HDD work great with all info (artist, song title, album, etc) shows up. Also was able to sync my blackberry quite easily. One word of advice here...make sure you disconnect the uconnect module behind the glove box as "astroman54" has noted. Otherwise you will have issues as the built-in one in the RHR & this original remote module will conflict with each other.

Some say that after the install, the truck needs to be "star scanned" by the dealer in order for it to work. Not so...mine worked perfectly as soon as the install was complete...just had to move over my Sirius subscription.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the cudo's..

One of the reasons that I decided to write up how I did it was because I found each bit of info in a different place and wanted to put it all together to make it easier for the next person wanting to do it. The washer happened to be my own "invention" but I'm sure that others may come up with just as effective methods too.

Thats a great tip on making sure you disconnect the original Uconnect module.. It took me a while to figure out that the RHR radio had the Uconnect built into it.What finally tipped me off was trying to pair my phone with it and seeing two Uconnects listed. Even with the repair manual, it took me a while to figure out where the original was located.

Andy
Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so I basically just did the same thing you did and I am confused. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie that had the REN unit in it. The nav unit I bought from a fellow member as well has three inputs on the back. One is for AM/FM, Two is Siruis Sat, and Three is the GPS. But for some reason it's lost. Maybe I need to replace the GPS antenna too or no? I don't know, any advice would be great.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: Sport Premium
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
lefty33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
Okay so I basically just did the same thing you did and I am confused. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie that had the REN unit in it. The nav unit I bought from a fellow member as well has three inputs on the back. One is for AM/FM, Two is Siruis Sat, and Three is the GPS. But for some reason it's lost. Maybe I need to replace the GPS antenna too or no? I don't know, any advice would be great.
If you have 3 antenna inputs it sounds like you have the RER (up to 2010) unit. Besides hooking up the am/fm antenna, as well as your Sirius satellite antenna, you will need to purchase the gps antenna and add it in. From what I understand, it can be mounted in behind the radio unit under the dash. The gps antenna is readily available from oemautopartsco.com.

Hope that helps
Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

www.oemautopartsco.com.
also has a ton of other info
live help
upgrade CDs
radio manuals on line for many of the radios
add on parts
etc.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

That is why I am confused gents. I have the older(up to 2010) and it has the GPS antenna in the back already and I am still having these issues. Going to see about getting another antenna I guess.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Yes.. the older radios must have 2 satellite antennas.. 1 for Sirius and another for GPS. I"m wondering if maybe you have the 2 antennas reversed? When I had the single band (sirius) antenna plugged into the single antenna input on my RHR radio, it was telling me I was driving around in Texas when I was in NJ. I was beginning to think that something was wrong with the GPS section of the radio until I put the dual band antenna on the truck.

The stand alone GPS antenna goes under the dash cover.. You might be able to snake it there with just the radio bezel removed, not sure.. I'm also thinking that maybe if you placed the GPS antenna behind the radio, it may be confused with your location because it can't see enough satellites..

Andy

Last edited by astroman54; 01-26-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Yellow Jacket is on a distinguished road

Wow, awesome write-up Andy. Thanks so much! I'm going to do this.