DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:79
M n M will become famous soon enough
Default Want another power outlet

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot for this thread so if it needs to be moved please do so.

Has anyone added another 12V power outlet in the their truck?

Like I've said on other threads, I was on a budget when I got my Ram so I went with the ST trim with a chrome package upgrade. The problem is that interior is not as user friendly as I would like.

I want to add a universal 12V outlet to the back section of my QC. The family has a portable DVD player for the kids that runs off of 12V. From time to time on trips some of my buddies need to charge their cell phones and I don't really like having the wires and cords running up to the front dash. Not to mention if I'm running my GPS and my phone needs to be charge then anyone else is SOL.

I'm thinking of mounting one under the center arm rest close to the floor. There is a nice little gap with a steel brace.

So I need to know...

Can I find a power source under the front seats? I see there are several wires and components under the drivers seat.

Without checking myself on the existing power outlets, does anyone know what the resistance load is on power outlet?

Is there a wire harness that is in the back that is meant for a power outlet for a high level trim package?
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

you could always just get a splitter for one side for your cell and gps, then get one of these to run to the back, since it's just a "just in case" deal. I have the 3 way one...used it in my Durango and the wifes Magnum back in the day, it comes in handy with my ST and her Charger. I'm actually going to hard wire one in the bed, I have a 12v impact gun with a medium length cord so it'll work out nicely with one mounted near the tailgate.
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff

Last edited by jc4041; 06-05-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 2WD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:77
bigedschukar will become famous soon enough

There is a section on the forum here that has all of the wiring diagrams. If you can locate and download that I'm sure it will show you what you need. When i put my amp under the driver's seat i noticed a bunch of wires as well but couldnt make out if any were good for 12V ignition power (for the remote start wire to the amp). So i just tapped into the power at the power outlet near the driver side, ran under dash, under molding/trim/carpet to under the driver seat. Wasn't that hard, so this may be a route for you. BUT, if you do find anither power cable in the back, lemme know please!

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:26 PM
erm

Moved to 4th Generation/Electrical.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have the bucket seats with the full center floor console,
i have 1 out let in the top storage compartment & at least one more at the back end of it, the power for them runs under the carpet from the dash, then there is the power for the under rear seat sound equipment, & then an add on power unit that runs from under the dash, along the right side carpet to under the back of the rear seat for my Wi-Fi box

[IMG] [IMG]
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 06-05-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added image
Old 06-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

Those 12 volts are pretty simply they have a positive and a ground with a built in fuse. Thats about all you got in there. I am sure you could buy an aftermarket one or factory one. Depending on the wiring location, but you could run the positive to an accessory fuse and and ground the other one. Do the same thing as if you where planning to hard-wire a radar detector.

Maybe you could piggy back off of one of the other 12 volts. Not sure if that is a good idea or safe.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

Very simple modification, most difficult part, running and hiding your wiring from your 12v sourse to your new outlet.....Check marine or outdoor sporting co. for good sourses of add on 12v outlets, much cheaper than a Dodge dealer and good quality....You can wire it up so its hot all the time, or only when the vehicle is running, or the key is in ACC position.... You can use a test light to check for a 12v source to tap into, that has the characteristics you want...make sure to shield the wiring you run so that you will not get any chafing shorts or possible fires....an in line fuse to your new outlet is also advised,( that you can easily get to)... Check behind the area where your going to physically mount your new outlet to insure enough clearance, and that you will not cut into something hidden behind