DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 1st Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge Ram D100
Color: red
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
KRam85 is on a distinguished road
Default Brake circuitry for 85 Dodge D100

I made a previous post about brake lights not working. Subsequent to that post, I ran a wire from the brake switch to the rear of the truck and spliced into a brown colored wire. Upon doing this the brake lights worked, however, only when the headlights are off. I'm not sure if this was the correct thing to do. In doing this I must have missed something in the circuitry.... From the brake switch, there is a pink (hot) wire and a white wire that plug into a harness, whereby, the pink wire become a gray wire and white wire remains white. What color the wires become after passing through the fire wall, I'm not sure. However, what I really need to know is where do these two wires go. What is there route? The pink wire must be tied into the battery somehow. But where does the white wire go to? Does it go through the fuse box, then out to the firewall? Or does it go straight through the firewall? Your help is most appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Has Internet Tourettes

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1693
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I see multiple problems here.

If you run a wire from the stoplight switch then you're not taking into consideration the turn signals. They probably won't work and will have feedback to the front parking lights as if the emergency flashers are on.

I would THINK that you ran the wire to the ground on the brake lights and that's why they won't work with the headlights on.

Try finding the DOT 3 flasher fuse (turn signals) and see what wires are powered, but again, that would also control the front turn signals.

If you're in a pinch, I'd run a dedicated wire and mount two single filament bulbs/lights to the back of the truck for brake lights until you get it figured out. Directly from the stoplight switch and start tracing wires in the meantime. At least you can legally drive the truck.

Are there trailer wires hooked up to the truck??? There might be a problem with them causing everything you've described.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default 85 D100 Brakelight Frustration

Well, I decided to do what I didn't want to do--and that is to start tracing the wire from beginning to end. Thus far, I've traced the wire to the steering column. I have not taken the steering column apart, but it appears, based upon the wiring diagrams I've examined, that it terminates at the hazard flasher switch. Would have never guessed that! The problem may lie there or it may go further down the line. We'll just have to wait and see. I can only hope that it's not a pain in the rear bumper to disassemble the steering column. Although frustrated by this whole deal, I am thankful that this 85 Dodge is not as complex as, perhaps, other Dodge trucks. I'll keep you posted on my progress or the lack thereof.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Smile 85 D100 Brakelight Problem Resolved

Well, Warlock III was right in saying that I should look at the wiring in the steering column. It seems that that is exactly where the problem was. I believe there is something disconnected or broken in the hazard switch thus the reason there was no power continuing to the turn signal switch. When I ran a jumper wire from the hazard switch to the turn signal switch, the brake lights (with the lights on) began to work again. I then ran a wire from one switch to the other. Hopefully, this will put an end to my brakelight woes.