DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
BronteRider is on a distinguished road
Default Fixed on problem, now got 2 more

I'll give you a description of what happened. About a month ago my truck started shaking like crazy at about 45-55 mph (at about 1250 rpm). I fixed that by messing with my spark plug wires. My #3cylinder was missing fire. Soon after a got a used tip from a friend and welded it on in ag (I unhooked my battery but some kids hooked it back up while I was welding so they can listen to music. Not sure if that could cause anything but anythings possible). First my cat sounded like some material had shook loose and is rattling. Next, I cant get hardly get over 3k rpm, and anything between 2500 and 3k is a loss of power and speed. There is also a high-pitched whinning noise (that I can't pin point) thats really only noticable under 2k rpm. I also changed my u-joints about 2 weeks ago but didn't grease one of them because the fitting was wierd like a bowl or something but they came greased, just lightly.
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Yeah, well Hmmm So you welded an exhaust tip on in school and some 'friends' connected your battery... Friends are so nice to have around sometimes... I don't think you damaged any electronics, however, I'd cut the exhaust pipe aft of the cat converter, and probe the converter to see if its plugged by internal failure. If it is, you know what to do, sometimes its amazing what you can do with a 1/2" electric drill and a big wood bit. If it's not plugged, see if the muffler (s) are plugged by hooking up someone elses tailpipes up via one of those big rubber hoses. When you figure out where the system is plugged, your final step will be to buy a stainless band clamp of the correct dia. to fix where you cut the pipe.The rattle could also be something as simple as a loose heat shield above the cat, however, that would not restrict flow!! As for whining, that needs to be better described, could be low steer pump oil, or a hundred other things, are you rolling, turning, stepping on brakes, 4wd engaged, etc... Good luck!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
BronteRider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamintrashcan View Post
As for whining, that needs to be better described, could be low steer pump oil, or a hundred other things, are you rolling, turning, stepping on brakes, 4wd engaged, etc... Good luck!!!
It just whines in gear. Reverse or drive. I would describe the sound like a distant F1 car. Also since I posted this, the trans temp light came on and it automatically turned of overdrive. When I get out after 15 min. or so of driving it smells like something is burning. I checked the transfluid tho and it is in the safe zone and is still red. I hope its just a clogged cat, the local mechanic doesn't even check those. If all the indicators work and it goes around the block it passes inspection.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I saw this somewhere else on this website awhile back, maybe ramvan2500 can help, this now definately sounds like a tranny gone cannibal on itself. I don't think it has anything to do with welding with the batt connected, some sort of overunning clutch problem or something, sorry, trannies are my weak area.How is the exhaust flow at the tailpipe? feel normal?What does the burning smell, smell like?? clutch material? exhaust?